• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Oct.-Nov Pattern Discussion

jaxjagman

Not unusual temps for here. I generally get a November low in the teens about every other year on average. Last year we had 4 days in the teens in November. A 13, two 16's and an 18. 

Not sure if it's terribly unusual for it to drive that far south this early though.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze-frost-dates/index.php?q=32210&submit=Go

I was more or less talking about Jacksonville and down south.You can put your zip in,on the page and it will give the average %

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks, it's looking very cold in 5-10 day range.  This is what happens when you get an Aleutian storm for the record books...pumps up the heights in Western Canada and send a plunge of cold air southward, to pretty much all areas East of the Rockies.  A we need is a few shortwaves riding around the base of the trough to get some fun action, but at this time, doesn't appear likely.  

12Z Euro already showing hints the Alaska ridge is just a 10-14 day event. Aleutians low trying to nudge east over the rest of the state by Day 15. That would also allow weak troughing on the West Coast under any West Canada ridge. I don't think cold will lock in through all of November. Might be a break around Thanksgiving. Nino years sometimes have a mild December before going colder than normal again Jan/Feb. But that may be getting ahead of this thread.

Can't imagine any meaningful snow in this cold pattern, outside of the mountains and maybe Plateau. Cold fronts will charge through too fast with little chance of a low press wave. This early in the season low press would just stall the cold air keeping lower elevations rain. Be patient though. It is not even calendar or meteorological winter yet.

12Z Euro already showing hints the Alaska ridge is just a 10-14 day event. Aleutians low trying to nudge east over the rest of the state by Day 15. That would also allow weak troughing on the West Coast under any West Canada ridge. I don't think cold will lock in through all of November. Might be a break around Thanksgiving. Nino years sometimes have a mild December before going colder than normal again Jan/Feb. But that may be getting ahead of this thread.

Can't imagine any meaningful snow in this cold pattern, outside of the mountains and maybe Plateau. Cold fronts will charge through too fast with little chance of a low press wave. This early in the season low press would just stall the cold air keeping lower elevations rain. Be patient though. It is not even calendar or meteorological winter yet.

hardcore meteorology here...

I love that I can count on you and Mr. Bob to provide a detailed and hype free analysis, thank you.

Agree with that as a possibility, but models also tend to break down ridging too quickly at times. A ridge up the west coast, all the way to the pole (if it fully materializes) would be hard to nudge out.

I'd be all for a relaxation around Thanksgiving though. Like you said, it's crazy early!

The GFS keeps sticking with the idea of snow in the 13th-15th time frame. It has snow in the air across a large part of the Tennessee Valley for 48 hours or so and drops 3-6 inches from the Plateau Eastward and Northward into SWVA/SEKy. Some form of this has been showing up since it was 240 hours out, now it is getting going around 150 hours out as of the 00z run. Snow flies across the valley from 150 until 204 on this run.

The GGEM also has snow over East Tennessee during this time frame but not as heavy. It has a LP about 100 miles off the South Carolina coast starting at 168 that's throwing some moisture back into some fairly cold air, generally below freezing across the entire state by 180.

The GFS has the storm in almost the same spot, but more moisture is reaching back into the cold air over Tennessee, N. Alabama and points north and east.

7am next Friday morning the 14th per the GFS, with precip accumulated between 168-180. Snow looks good for everyone except maybe Chattanooga area as the precip type. We'll see if the models can remain consistent with this as we close in under 5 days.

gfs_namer_180_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

I'm getting interested in the system towards mid month.As Cosgrove mentioned up above a possibility of a Miller "B" and also which could be a downfall we just don't know how cold we will be in the Valley as the models continue to argue the fact as how cold it will be basically from what effects from Nuri.But  i glanced at the 18z at the LLJ'S   and it's showing it from Mid/Ms to mid/al into S/Tn at 45 kts.,that alone is gonna pump in some gulf moisture.This is gonna be fun to watch this early in the season none the less.

Archived