joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, finished up with 2.13" for the 24 hour period ending at 7am today.

Add yesterday mornings total and we're up to 2.73" event total. Soaked!

The cool air that lingered here yesterday (only 65F for a high) seemed to have spared us any real nasty severe stuff but man, it sure the f*ck rained. We also had almost continuous thunder and lightning in the air--hours of it really, but again, no strong winds & no hail.

Lot of blown out driveways, including ours. It's passable though. ;)

First time I've ever recorded five discrete TS in one day. The 1st four, at 12:30, 7:30, 8:30, 10 AM, each lasted 30-45 minutes, with #1 dropping just 0.13" and the other three a combined 1.28". Each had considerable lightning but nothing extraordinary. #5 arrived at 6 PM and lasted until about midnight, though the thunder ended between 9 and 10. No really heavy rain with this one, but a total of 0.75", for an event total of 2.16", and 2.03" reported to cocorahs this morning. Also one of the coolest days, 56/49, with multiple significant TS. (Better than FVE, however, where most of yesterday was near 40, though they might have missed the thunder.) Our annual visit from Mrs. Snapper, who has yet to lay any successful eggs in at least 6 years of trying, came during the evening TS and was of great interest to our Lab.

Sandy River peaked a few minutes ago at just under 4,000 cfs. Oddly, the Carrabasset failed to reach 1,000. It's much the flashier river (Irene kicked it to 31,600 while the Sandy barely topped 20K), so the 'Loaf area must have missed the heavier storms.

First time I've ever recorded five discrete TS in one day. The 1st four, at 12:30, 7:30, 8:30, 10 AM, each lasted 30-45 minutes, with #1 dropping just 0.13" and the other three a combined 1.28". Each had considerable lightning but nothing extraordinary. #5 arrived at 6 PM and lasted until about midnight, though the thunder ended between 9 and 10. No really heavy rain with this one, but a total of 0.75", for an event total of 2.16", and 2.03" reported to cocorahs this morning. Also one of the coolest days, 56/49, with multiple significant TS. (Better than FVE, however, where most of yesterday was near 40, though they might have missed the thunder.) Our annual visit from Mrs. Snapper, who has yet to lay any successful eggs in at least 6 years of trying, came during the evening TS and was of great interest to our Lab.

It was a little harder here to differentiate between one storm and another. It rumbled and flashed for about four hours late Monday night into Tuesday morning, varying in intensity, then a fairly discrete one from 7-8am yesterday.

Yesterday afternoon was more like the overnight storm(s)--just four hours or so of continuous light flashes and rumbly-booms. They seemed high up, if that makes any sense.

At the end of the day, literally, it was a lot of thunder for a twelve hour period.

Sandy River peaked a few minutes ago at just under 4,000 cfs. Oddly, the Carrabasset failed to reach 1,000. It's much the flashier river (Irene kicked it to 31,600 while the Sandy barely topped 20K), so the 'Loaf area must have missed the heavier storms.

Yes, I don't ever remember a day like yesterday here as well

Beautiful day today, mostly sunny with puffy little cu. We need to store this one in memory, given what's on the menu for the weekend and early next week.

Morning comedy: 06z gfs sloshes over 6" on AUG Sat-Mon. Maybe the 12z run will back it off to the 1" or so from earlier ones.

Edit: 12z gfs cuts qpf in half (still pretty hefty) and leaves AUG in the ten-ring. GYX now has added "heavy at times" for Sat and Sat night. It gon rain!

Coastal ME sea breeze shows up well on GYX radar this afternoon. Looks like a chilly one early next week with a chance of flakes for the peaks of the Presidentials.

it's always nice to hike to 5k in june with the hope of flakes flying to propel you up the trail.

Would have been a great winter up here if we would of had half the precip that we are getting now then, This reminds me a lot like the spring early summer we had after the last crap winter back in 2010, Plenty of hefty rain totals, What happened to the dry begets dry............ :raining:

Oh the fun....

FLOOD WATCH

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

1156 AM EDT FRI JUN 1 2012

...HEAVY SOAKING RAINS MAY CAUSE FLOODING ACROSS PORTIONS OF MAINE

AND NEW HAMPSHIRE OVER THE WEEKEND...

.BANDS OF HEAVY RAIN WILL ENTER PORTIONS OF MAINE AND NEW

HAMPSHIRE FROM THE GULF OF MAINE ON SATURDAY. THE SOAKING RAINS

WILL CONTINUE RIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY. THERE IS HIGH CONFIDENCE THAT BY

THE TIME THE PRECIPITATION WINDS DOWN BY MONDAY MORNING...TWO TO

FOUR INCHES OF RAIN ARE LIKELY ACROSS PORTIONS OF MAINE AND NEW

HAMPSHIRE. THERE IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY...ALBIET LESS

CONFIDENCE...THAT THERE WILL BE HIGHER AMOUNTS OF AROUND SIX

INCHES IN SOME COMMUNITIES. THIS AMOUNT OF RAIN WOULD CAUSE RAPID

RISES ON RIVERS AND STREAMS BEGINNING SATURDAY EVENING AND

CONTINUING THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

IT IS DIFFICULT AT THIS EARLY STAGE TO DETERMINE EXACTLY WHERE THE

HEAVIEST BANDS OF RAINFALL WILL SET UP. AT THIS TIME...IT APPEARS

WESTERN MAINE AND EASTERN NEW HAMPSHIRE WILL PICK UP THE HIGHEST

RAINFALL TOTALS...BUT THIS MAY CHANGE.

LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE NORTH TO THE GREAT LAKES TONIGHT.

MEANWHILE...A SLOW MOVING FRONT WILL BECOME NEARLY STATIONARY OVER

SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND OVER THE WEEKEND. SEVERAL AREAS OF LOW

PRESSURE WILL TRACK ALONG THIS FRONT...BRINGING MOISTURE FROM THE

ATLANTIC INTO OUR REGION.

MEZ007>009-012>014-018>028-NHZ001>010-013-014-020000-

/O.NEW.KGYX.FA.A.0002.120602T2200Z-120604T0900Z/

/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

NORTHERN OXFORD-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-CENTRAL SOMERSET-

SOUTHERN OXFORD-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-SOUTHERN SOMERSET-INTERIOR YORK-

INTERIOR CUMBERLAND-ANDROSCOGGIN-KENNEBEC-INTERIOR WALDO-

COASTAL YORK-COASTAL CUMBERLAND-SAGADAHOC-LINCOLN-KNOX-

COASTAL WALDO-NORTHERN COOS-SOUTHERN COOS-NORTHERN GRAFTON-

NORTHERN CARROLL-SOUTHERN GRAFTON-SOUTHERN CARROLL-SULLIVAN-

MERRIMACK-BELKNAP-STRAFFORD-INTERIOR ROCKINGHAM-

COASTAL ROCKINGHAM-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ANDOVER...ROXBURY...UPTON...

WILSONS MILLS...COBURN GORE...RANGELEY...KINGFIELD...BINGHAM...

JACKMAN...RUMFORD...NORWAY...FRYEBURG...OXFORD...FARMINGTON...

WILTON...MADISON...SKOWHEGAN...PITTSFIELD...SANFORD...BERWICK...

NORTH WINDHAM...GORHAM...BRIDGTON...LEWISTON-AUBURN...

LIVERMORE FALLS...AUGUSTA...WATERVILLE...WINTERPORT...UNITY...

BIDDEFORD...SACO...OLD ORCHARD BEACH...KITTERY...PORTLAND...

SOUTH PORTLAND...WESTBROOK...BATH...TOPSHAM...BOOTHBAY HARBOR...

WISCASSET...WALDOBORO...CAMDEN...ROCKLAND...THOMASTON...BELFAST...

LINCOLNVILLE...COLEBROOK...BERLIN...LANCASTER...LITTLETON...

NORTH CONWAY...LEBANON...HANOVER...PLYMOUTH...WOLFEBORO...

OSSIPEE...CLAREMONT...NEWPORT...CHARLESTOWN...CONCORD...

HOOKSETT...LACONIA...MEREDITH...ROCHESTER...DOVER...SALEM...

DERRY...EXETER...PORTSMOUTH...HAMPTON

1156 AM EDT FRI JUN 1 2012

Beautiful day in Norway...another snow filled day. Driving through these tunnels in the snow on June 1st, with 10-20 foot deep road cuts through the snowpack, is something every snow lover should do. I'll post some photos when I get back but it's impressive for June 1st. I can't even really comprehend it. The snow gets so deep in the winter (400-500" annually of cement) that there's still snow on the ground while leaves are on the trees.

I also saw a new first...snow falling from the sky on June 1st. A couple snow showers rolled through dropping the temperature to -1C at 4,000ft. Full on winter still.

It’s June 1st, and any additional accumulating snowfall in the valley is very unlikely this season, so I’ve been finishing up some of my weather data plots and tables. The first is the monthly snowfall plot for our location. As meager as the snowfall was this season, the monthly distribution of snow did retain an aesthetically symmetrical look, peaking in January with February close behind:

1112monthlysnowfall.jpg

The next piece of information is my updated yearly snow/snowfall data table, with the ’11-’12 season now included.

Waterburywxsummarytable.jpg

I’ll comment on some highlights (i.e. lowlights) about this season (top data row of the table). The ’11-’12 season had the somewhat dubious honor of being the “worst” in my data set in three categories: total snowfall, maximum snow depth, and snow depth days (see the red entries in the top row). The snowfall and max snow depth values weren’t all that far from the runner up values, but the big standout was snow depth days, which was well below the next closest season. It’s amazing to see a number so far below the 1,000 day·inches mark, which speaks to the state of the snowpack this season. We still had continuous snowpack for about three months (vs. the typical four months) but the big factor in the low snow depth days was that the snowpack just never got that deep. It sat around at a bit below the one foot mark for most of the season and just didn’t build beyond that except for a couple of periods in February/March:

1112waterburysnowpack.jpg

With only six seasons worth of data, the low snowfall this season did deal quite a blow to the overall calculated snowfall average, dropping it by almost 10 inches from up above 172 inches per season down to 162.7 inches per season. That’s probably Mother Nature at work getting to her real averages after some banner years. Even though two of the past six seasons have been up around 200 inches of snowfall, presumably that is going to happen only so often.

As for the rest of the parameters that I track in the table, they were either right around or slightly better than average this season. An interesting one to me is that the number of snowstorms this season (45) was right around average, so naturally with low snowfall, the amount of snowfall per storm had to take a hit. Indeed, while the average amount of snowfall per storm is typically up around 4 inches, this season it came out at just 2.6 inches, so there were clearly a lot of systems that were weak on snow. This was a huge deviation from the mean (almost 2 S.D.), so that must say something about the weather pattern this season, even if I’m not exactly sure what it is at this point.

And the onslaught begins

Definitely nasty out. Currently 52F here and gusty. It has been raining on an off not steady. Went over to the golf course and they went ahead with the small tournament that was scheduled. Not overly upset that I decided to sit this one out.

Definitely nasty out. Currently 52F here and gusty. It has been raining on an off not steady. Went over to the golf course and they went ahead with the small tournament that was scheduled. Not overly upset that I decided to sit this one out.

Passed on golf this morning, Tourney for tomorrow was already cancelled yesterday, rainfall so far has been more of a showery nature rather then steady, Can only wish it would remain that way..

As of 7 am:

RN+

50.7°F

Today's rainfall (since midnight): 3.62"

Yesterday's rainfall: 1.83"

Total rainfall: 5.45"

Going to be a big total for you when this is all over. The total for my 'hood I gave in the storm thread was 3", but that was inaccurate. It was more like 3.6" through 1am, so I'm likely over 4". I'm right on the edge of the rain shield. Still raining. Got some serious ponding in the yard here as well. I think I could take the kayak for a spin, as dryslot suggested earlier in the week.

Total was 1.81" at 7 AM. GYX precip estimate shows significantly higher precip to north and west, much higher to south (some places approach 6") and lesser to the east. I'd guess at another 1" today/tonight, and smaller amounts as this extends thru the week. Probably no more than some nuisance flooding in my area, but downtown Westbrook might be part of the Presumscot River this morning.

Currently 50 with moderate winds, The woodstove ran all night and feels good this morning.

Archived