• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

Another 0.62" overnight, storm total 3.81", much less than farther south but still impressive given that rain intensity has been light-moderate. Sandy River is leveled off at 18,000+ cfs at Mercer, just below flood, and will probably stay there a while (rather than the usual quick "turnover" and fairly rapid descent) and then go down more slowly than is the normal sequence. Carrabasset up to 9,200, but that's modest given that river's character and its headwaters in perfect upslope position for this NE storm. Kennebec is washing the west side parking lots in AUG, a foot over flood and likely to climb another 2-3', still only nuisance flooding.

Last week's models pointed toward a repeat of 14 yr ago, when Farmington got 6"+ in 30 hr and the Sandy hit its highest non-snowmelt peak flow and caused some significant damage. This more attenuated (in my area, anyway) event is about the least harmful 4" rainstorm one could ask for. (Though the temps, 50/46 yesterday IMBY, aren't helping my tomatos and cucurbits.)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck with all the water Maine folks.

Been in the dryslot all afternoon here. Actually turned out pretty nice today.

Some great cloud watching yesterday, seems so strange to watch them blow east to west. we got lucky

(coventry, VT. 1st cut lime colors abound)

IMG_2969.jpg

2cd dose of well wishes for the Maine contingent, one hell of a dousing

Another .83" bringing the total here to 7.03", It can stop anytime now..

I guess we are lucky that we had a dry beginning to Spring. I can't even imagine the destruction if we had heavy snow melt and heavy early Spring rains.

Running storm total up to 8.29" as of 10:15 am. Nice and cool too, 48.2°F with NE winds at 16 mph.

I guess we are lucky that we had a dry beginning to Spring. I can't even imagine the destruction if we had heavy snow melt and heavy early Spring rains.

Running storm total up to 8.29" as of 10:15 am. Nice and cool too, 48.2°F with NE winds at 16 mph.

John, Yes, We are lucky that we had minimal runoff this spring, Looks like some of the heavier precip will be ending and will be seeing scattered showers from here on out as we try to start the drying process over the next few days

John, Yes, We are lucky that we had minimal runoff this spring, Looks like some of the heavier precip will be ending and will be seeing scattered showers from here on out as we try to start the drying process over the next few days

Cornell actually has a pretty nice extreme precip page (http://precip.eas.cornell.edu/) that takes our COOP reporting and places a return period on that amount. For instance, our Bath observer has reported 6.96" (not exactly sure if that includes this morning or not), and that is a 1 in 25 year event. For reference, a 100 year event is 8.41". These are all 2 day totals.

Cornell actually has a pretty nice extreme precip page (http://precip.eas.cornell.edu/) that takes our COOP reporting and places a return period on that amount. For instance, our Bath observer has reported 6.96" (not exactly sure if that includes this morning or not), and that is a 1 in 25 year event. For reference, a 100 year event is 8.41". These are all 2 day totals.

That's a great site!

There is a lot of great info on that site, I was at .83" this am and added to the storm total put us here @ 7.03" will call in a storm total later this PM when i get back home from work as we had added to that since 8:30 am at my last observation

We actually had a break in the gloom for a couple of hours this evening, even saw a brief glimpse of the sun. It was enough so that I could bring my son over to the golf course to knock the ball around a bit. It is starting to rain lightly again. Nothing compared to what you guys further east have had to deal with.

My 4.20" storm total (thru 7 AM) pales before what fell to my south, but things are plenty wet. Yesterday's 53/44 kept the woodstove in play, with mid-upper 40s this morning and very light rain. Kennebec still in the west side parking lots, and was 15.23' (3.2' above flood) this morning. It peaked at just over 70,000 cfs at N.Sidney, pretty good for June (no Kennebec data for 6/98, unfortunately - probably approached 100K.) However, the 1987 flood was 22.5' over flood stage in AUG, 232,000 cfs in N.Sidney. Since '87, top flow has been 102,000 - 25 yr and the best it could do was 44% of the 1987 peak.

Mosquitoes are going to be a biblical plague there.

A bunch of us at the golf course had talked about that the other day, The no seeums (Blackflies) have been non factors as well, As soon as we get a warm stretch and some heat, Both are going to be relentless, The Blackflies get you during the day then the mosquitoes get you at night

My 4.20" storm total (thru 7 AM) pales before what fell to my south, but things are plenty wet. Yesterday's 53/44 kept the woodstove in play, with mid-upper 40s this morning and very light rain. Kennebec still in the west side parking lots, and was 15.23' (3.2' above flood) this morning. It peaked at just over 70,000 cfs at N.Sidney, pretty good for June (no Kennebec data for 6/98, unfortunately - probably approached 100K.) However, the 1987 flood was 22.5' over flood stage in AUG, 232,000 cfs in N.Sidney. Since '87, top flow has been 102,000 - 25 yr and the best it could do was 44% of the 1987 peak.

1987 Was the wors't flooding i had seen in my lifetime, I remember it well as i was working for a beer company back then, And my route was in the Kingfield/sSugarloaf area, I had talked to a customer (Winter Inn) the day after all the rain, And he said he had a 4' snowpack out in there back yard and after the rain he had bare ground, I know if you go into the Cumberland Farms in Farmington, They had a mark about 3-6" from the ceiling where the water level from the Sandy River had risen was in the store, If it is still there, The androscoggin at great falls was so high that it was hitting the middle of the steel girder of the bridge that spans Lew/Aub and was closed for a time as well as the one that takes you into New Auburn.

Archived