• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

Ended up just a hair over an inch of rain here.

Based on the radar yesterday/this morning, I was thinking there'd be some hefty totals from you Maine folks.

That had to be one of the 'strangest' inches of rain I've seen in a long time. The bulk of it fell almost in a form of heavy-heavy drizzle.

Never got out of the low/mid 50s....and there we still sit.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+RN

55.6/53.7F

Rainfall Total 5.53"

Sweet!...I guess haha. Impressive totals in Maine so far.

Just throwing this idea out there but maybe after this event or next couple days of cool weather, someone should start up a new warm season NNE Thread as we are now heading into the June/July/August summer period.

Sweet!...I guess haha. Impressive totals in Maine so far.

Just throwing this idea out there but maybe after this event or next couple days of cool weather, someone should start up a new warm season NNE Thread as we are now heading into the June/July/August summer period.

Yes, We need to roll out a new thread

Total was 1.81" at 7 AM. GYX precip estimate shows significantly higher precip to north and west, much higher to south (some places approach 6") and lesser to the east. I'd guess at another 1" today/tonight, and smaller amounts as this extends thru the week. Probably no more than some nuisance flooding in my area, but downtown Westbrook might be part of the Presumscot River this morning.

Currently 50 with moderate winds, The woodstove ran all night and feels good this morning.

You'll probably notice our storm total precip is under-representing totals. Max STP totals are 3-4" when we know from obs that there are likely 6"+ totals out there. Summer stratiform algorithm definitely wasn't the best choice, tropical might have been the way to go.

You'll probably notice our storm total precip is under-representing totals. Max STP totals are 3-4" when we know from obs that there are likely 6"+ totals out there. Summer stratiform algorithm definitely wasn't the best choice, tropical might have been the way to go.

Yes, There is definitely going to be some areas that crack the 6" mark, We should do it here if we continue on this pace

Yes, There is definitely going to be some areas that crack the 6" mark, We should do it here if we continue on this pace

We're keeping a running total every hour from our rain gauge, and we're up to 5.44". We're just on the southern edge of the heavier rain, but it should tick back west some over the next few hours. You've got much better rates even the few miles north of us.

We're keeping a running total every hour from our rain gauge, and we're up to 5.44". We're just on the southern edge of the heavier rain, but it should tick back west some over the next few hours. You've got much better rates even the few miles north of us.

I have accumulated another .23" in the gauge since i called in at 10:45, It had let up some for a period but looks like we have more heavier bands moving in again

I have accumulated another .23" in the gauge since i called in at 10:45, It had let up some for a period but looks like we have more heavier bands moving in again

Looks like you'll be in them for a little while yet. Some 40 dBZ stuff embedded in there too.

NAM/GFS low level moisture convergence lingers over the area through the afternoon, and I wonder if we'll get a little coastal front enhancement now that winds have come around to northeasterly. At the very least should see some near shore convergence winds.

Looks like you'll be in them for a little while yet. Some 40 dBZ stuff embedded in there too.

NAM/GFS low level moisture convergence lingers over the area through the afternoon, and I wonder if we'll get a little coastal front enhancement now that winds have come around to northeasterly. At the very least should see some near shore convergence winds.

We have some 30-35dbz bands coming thru now and more to the SE moving this way, Pretty impressive rainfall totals so far

I noticed near PWM earlier...it looked like that was occurring. There was a little narrow band of slighty heavier echoes just over the city. Looked like another case of small droplets, but coming down in sheets.

I noticed near PWM earlier...it looked like that was occurring. There was a little narrow band of slighty heavier echoes just over the city. Looked like another case of small droplets, but coming down in sheets.

Those heavier sheets look to be refocusing back to the south and west a little bit as the low tries to slide southeast.

I'd noticed that, though the difference is less IMBY. At 1:30 my storm total was 2.50" (0.69" since 7 AM) while the estmated precip had me on the line between 1.5-2.0" and 2.0-2.5".

Huge rise in the Sandy, up 5' since dawn. 6:30 AM flow was 900 cfs, 1:30 it was 11,400 and rocketing. Kennebec at N.Sidney is "upside down", with flow of 15,000 cfs while the Sandy and Carrabasset combined were 15,700 (and I didn't check the Sebasticook, the other large trib.) Probably not all that uncommon with heavy rain events.

Given the rainfall pattern (3-4" in central Franklin/Somerset), I'm surprised that the Carrabasset is only up to 4,300 (and change.) It's much the flashiest tributary of the Kennebec, and Irene's deluge kicked it up to 31,600, trailing only 1987 (by 19,000 cfs!) Irene got the Sandy just above 20,000 cfs, and it usually crests with about 5-10% more than the Carrabasset.

I'd noticed that, though the difference is less IMBY. At 1:30 my storm total was 2.50" (0.69" since 7 AM) while the estmated precip had me on the line between 1.5-2.0" and 2.0-2.5".

Huge rise in the Sandy, up 5' since dawn. 6:30 AM flow was 900 cfs, 1:30 it was 11,400 and rocketing. Kennebec at N.Sidney is "upside down", with flow of 15,000 cfs while the Sandy and Carrabasset combined were 15,700 (and I didn't check the Sebasticook, the other large trib.) Probably not all that uncommon with heavy rain events.

Given the rainfall pattern (3-4" in central Franklin/Somerset), I'm surprised that the Carrabasset is only up to 4,300 (and change.) It's much the flashiest tributary of the Kennebec, and Irene's deluge kicked it up to 31,600, trailing only 1987 (by 19,000 cfs!) Irene got the Sandy just above 20,000 cfs, and it usually crests with about 5-10% more than the Carrabasset.

You would think that the Carrabasset would be seeing plenty of upslope enhancement, but the obs haven't really supported it. The really big totals are all nearer the coast, or from the period last night when we were getting really tropical rainfall rates.

You would think that the Carrabasset would be seeing plenty of upslope enhancement, but the obs haven't really supported it. The really big totals are all nearer the coast, or from the period last night when we were getting really tropical rainfall rates.

I was curious about this...looking at radar and flow of the moisture, I was wondering why the foothills and east/southeast slopes weren't getting pummeled like they do in winter storms with this set up? Rainfall of 3-6" in the coastal plain would make me think more like up to 8" in the upsloping foothills.

I was curious about this...looking at radar and flow of the moisture, I was wondering why the foothills and east/southeast slopes weren't getting pummeled like they do in winter storms with this set up? Rainfall of 3-6" in the coastal plain would make me think more like up to 8" in the upsloping foothills.

They might be playing a little catch up right now. There are probably some bright banding issues going on now, but the OHP/STP products are going up pretty quickly for the western Maine mountains.

Just saw that an added your report to the totals, definitely the leader in the clubhouse so far.

Thanks! Rain is finally letting up. Just absolutely astounded at how much rain has fallen. Tide is falling on our cove right now. I wonder if during high tide this evening if all the water coming down the Kennebec will back up in here.

Thanks! Rain is finally letting up. Just absolutely astounded at how much rain has fallen. Tide is falling on our cove right now. I wonder if during high tide this evening if all the water coming down the Kennebec will back up in here.

I'm very curious to see the effects as well. There is a lot of water coming out and a lot of water coming in at the same time this evening. One of the forecasters already said there were mini geysers last evening on Commercial Street in Portland when the tide came up to 12.3'.

Archived