• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Late January thread

<br />They are right - look at it's geographic regions. The Susky Valkey is a minor part.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

^^ This.

It's probably time to just bring an office into Middletown, and have them cover Dauphin, Cumberland, York, Adams, Lanc, Lebanon, Perry, Northumberland, and Berks counties. Let State College handle the area closer to them, and let Mt Holly focus on far-eastern PA and the rest of their territory.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weve been more than patient over the yrs.

I know we def have, if anyone needs a 12"+ storm its north central PA, but ya know I could sit here and bi*ch til the cows come home but it isn't going to do me any good :) Where are you from? Hopefully this area can get something going in Feb or Mar, just get a dif pattern going would be nice. For the mean time I'm willing to share with those in central pa because they need it to. I'm trying to think realistically when the last time we saw a 12"+ storm, I honestly can't remember, I'm thinking 2003-04 but not sure, anybody have a clue?

I know we def have, if anyone needs a 12"+ storm its north central PA, but ya know I could sit here and bi*ch til the cows come home but it isn't going to do me any good :) Where are you from? Hopefully this area can get something going in Feb or Mar, just get a dif pattern going would be nice. For the mean time I'm willing to share with those in central pa because they need it to. I'm trying to think realistically when the last time we saw a 12"+ storm, I honestly can't remember, I'm thinking 2003-04 but not sure, anybody have a clue?

I don't think you got the early Feb storm last year, did you? We got 13 in State College.

Way I look at it, our best shot at a big storm is Feb/Mar, so we have two months of shots at storms.

I don't think you got the early Feb storm last year, did you? We got 13 in State College.

Way I look at it, our best shot at a big storm is Feb/Mar, so we have two months of shots at storms.

no, well not in shinglehouse anyways, I was in state college that semester. I know for a fact we haven't the past 4 years, after that I'm not 100% sure, seems like we normally get the 7-11" type storms, never really "blockbuster" events.

<br /><br /><br />

^^ This.

It's probably time to just bring an office into Middletown, and have them cover Dauphin, Cumberland, York, Adams, Lanc, Lebanon, Perry, Northumberland, and Berks counties. Let State College handle the area closer to them, and let Mt Holly focus on far-eastern PA and the rest of their territory.

Used to be that way, They shut down the Harrisburg office and moved it to State College. They said it would save money.

Looking at the records and maps CTP has on their site, looks like at least parts of Potter County had at least 12" on these dates:

March 4-6, 2001: 12-15"

February 3, 2004: 9-13"

February 13-14, 2007: 14"

March 16, 2007: 9.5-15"

There is nothing 'feedback' wise wrong with the GFS. It is displaying the heavier precipitation associated with the movement of the upper level low through the region on the back side of the low. This ULL then rapidly explodes to our northeast with a CCB over New England and New York City. I just cannot believe we are dealing with a sharp cutoff again!!!!!!!!!!! The pattern definitely looked like it favored a western storm track, but models are definitely converging with the heavier QPF to our west and possibly heavier snows; unbelievable. Sorry rant over.

Looking at the records and maps CTP has on their site, looks like at least parts of Potter County had at least 12" on these dates:

March 4-6, 2001: 12-15"

February 3, 2004: 9-13"

February 13-14, 2007: 14"

March 16, 2007: 9.5-15"

ok that makes sense, but If my memory serves right, i believe we had 12" and 10" in order for both the 2007 storms but nothing major sence, I believe our biggest storm here was the 2001 storm we had over 12"+ but nothing since

ok that makes sense, but If my memory serves right, i believe we had 12" and 10" in order for both the 2007 storms but nothing major sence, I believe our biggest storm here was the 2001 storm we had over 12"+ but nothing since

climatologically speaking it takes a rare path or strength from a LP to provide this area with over 16" because you usually need a track between harrisburg and philadelphia and that rarely happens. The last massive storm to provide over 16" I think was the superstorm of 93' . People just need to realize central pa especially northern pa isn't going to see the massive storms that form along the eastcoast because its just not climatologically favorable it seems like, I could be wrong.

GFS is good for MDT / east and Allentown south. Anyone west of MDT and/or north of ABE gets screwed with the GFS.

MDT sees 4-8, PHL sees 8-12, NYC sees 12-16 or so. West of MDT it's a very tight 0-4 gradient it appears.

Be careful with those amounts for PHL and NYC. They mix quite a bit.

Be careful with those amounts for PHL and NYC. They mix quite a bit.

Oops, thank you. I don't have temps, should have clarified.

Man, I hope the GFS is still about 80 miles east. I haven't broken double-digit snow yet but guys north and n/w of me need some loving too. This doesn't help them much at all.

Should also point out this is basically a two-storm event. A little storm before the big event later on according to the GFS and NAM to an extent.

Someone mentioned we could see a bigger CCB because we have an Atlantic/GOM hookup. Do you think this is true? If so we could see more precip spreading west.

Honestly, that is not my specialty. I am a tropical guy first and a synoptician second. When we start having to get down to those level of mesoscale details, I'm a model hugger like everyone else. Sorry I can't be more help.

Archived