joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/22-1/24 Cold Temperatures

weatherMA

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow..Coventry huh? That 's a fairly hilly town overall. I didn't know that.

I wonder if it was a setup like what we have tonight.. I bet we see some insane #'s tomorrow AM

Feb '43 was insane. CON all-time record of -37F. PWM all-time record of -39F. BOS hit -14F. ORH hit -24F.

I wonder if it was a setup like what we have tonight.. I bet we see some insane #'s tomorrow AM

The 1961 cold snap was insane

Here are the lows at BDL from that

1/21 - -13

1/22 - -26

123 - -19

1/24 - -19

The February 1943 cold snap was pretty intense too with a -18 and -24 recorded downtown in HFD (probably would have the record if obs were kept at BDL). Falls Village got to -32 that morning in '43.

I hope the hills do good tonight, we both tend to radiate like garbage. My low for the year is only 5 yesterday morning...what's your lowest low?

Upton goes WC Advisory

Feb '43 was insane. CON all-time record of -37F. PWM all-time record of -39F. BOS hit -14F. ORH hit -24F.

That was before the current airport site here. But still the lowest temp in the record. The old site radiated better but still wasn't ideal.

I don't think ORH airport has been colder than -12F since 1976. We might have a shot tonight though I'm always a tad skeptical....such cold temps though at 975mb gives a shot though for the elevated spots that normally don't come close to the valley spots on nights with a more defined inversion.

Too much wind I think for this to approach Jan 2009. I had -6 to -11 for coastal SE CT towns away from the water. It may still verify on the high end but it'll be close with this wind, and the rapidly rising pressures means it won't go completely calm anytime soon.

Yeah I think it will be tough for SE CT.

I went 0 at GON and -1 at Old Saybrook.

NW CT should have a much easier time radiating.

Yeah I think it will be tough for SE CT.

I went 0 at GON and -1 at Old Saybrook.

NW CT should have a much easier time radiating.

Had -1 this morning in Old Lyme (had a -2 a week ago), but I was just comparing the evening of 1/16/09 versus now, and it was already down to 7 at this point in the evening two years ago and the winds had been calm for hours. I think almost everyone will end up below zero by morning, but -10 seems out of reach at this point. Kind of surprised that OKX went as cold as they did (lows around -7 in southern New London County) considering how they seemed to have resisted the idea of below zero right up until the last minute.

Had -1 this morning in Old Lyme (had a -2 a week ago), but I was just comparing the evening of 1/16/09 versus now, and it was already down to 7 at this point in the evening two years ago and the winds had been calm for hours. I think almost everyone will end up below zero by morning, but -10 seems out of reach at this point. Kind of surprised that OKX went as cold as they did (lows around -7 in southern New London County) considering how they seemed to have resisted the idea of below zero right up until the last minute.

I'm thinking one of the coops in Litchfield County are going to get close to -20 tonight.

Tonight isn't a good night for the CT shoreline to get crazy cold

I'm thinking one of the coops in Litchfield County are going to get close to -20 tonight.

Tonight isn't a good night for the CT shoreline to get crazy cold

Absolutely, and you know which one it'll be. There are only three in Litchfield County as far as I know: Norfolk which is at 1340 ft, Shepaug Dam at 800-900 ft, and Falls Village at about 550. I'm going with the one that has the state record.

Absolutely, and you know which one it'll be. There are only three in Litchfield County as far as I know: Norfolk which is at 1340 ft, Shepaug Dam at 800-900 ft, and Falls Village at about 550. I'm going with the one that has the state record.

http://www.canr.uconn.edu/nrme/cscc/connectionToConnecticStations/mapstationsconnect.htm

Archived