12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC Jan 20/21 Obs and Discussion Thread

am19psu

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Closing in on 2" here in Metuchen; 31F. Snow is coming down close to heavily (not quite 12/26/10 rates but at least 1" per hour rates) and it's a fairly wet snow, sticking nicely to everything, making for a gorgeous scene. Guesstimating maybe 2 more hours of decent snowfall rates, which would put me over 3" (verifying the NWS forecast) and perhaps close to 4". Looks like the snow rain line will only get to Monmouth/Burlington Counties, so I think we're safe, especially as the line is moving SE in the Philly/Trenton area. Time for a few hours of sleep...

Slept 2 hours, shoveled, measured, went to work, had meetings and now I finally have a minute to post my final snowfall: ended up with 3.5" of snow as of 7:00 am, with the snow having been over for a bit, as far as I could tell. Really pretty snowfall, but fairly wet/heavy - probably as tough shoveling that as the 8" we got last week, lol. Noticed a Metuchen report of 2.6" - I know there's someone who's supposedly very reliable (think he's a met) who supplies the Metuchen report, but I can't see how he only had 2.6". It's a small town and we're usually very close in our reports and I could see a 1/4" difference, but not 0.9" difference. I don't think I was hallucinating - I wonder if it's a typo? Plus there's a report from Fords, which is about 1.5 miles from my house, of 3.5". Could be because his report was 6:10 am and the snow wasn't quite over (Fords report was 7:25 am).

NOUS41 KOKX 211747

PNSOKX

CTZ005>012-NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>075-078>081-176>179-220531-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

1246 PM EST FRI JAN 21 2011

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 12 HOURS

FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION IS EXTENDED

TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS

AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR

HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/NYC

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...BRONX COUNTY...

BEDFORD PARK 5.7 747 AM 1/21 PUBLIC

...WESTCHESTER COUNTY...

MOUNT VERNON 4.0 1000 AM 1/21 PUBLIC

$

DH

That's a 1.7 inch difference in 4 miles. Fascinating, if correct.

There are always problems with measurements...every storm has totals that are either too high or too low...though there is not much excuse for it with this storm, as there was no wind and measurement was easy and amounts were generally uniform...note that both Port Jeff and Mt Sinai reported 3.8"...the towns border each other.

I spoke with my father, who does pretty damn good (83 years will do that). We're about 4 miles from Bedford Park. He said 4-5. Yonkers had 4.2. I'm banking on the Mount Vernon measurement.

Archived