joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Jan 20/21 Obs and Discussion Thread

am19psu

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonights 00z GFS actually trended a good bit north and west with what eventually becomes a more developed area of precipitation the northwest of the surface low. We could hope for a few more nudges to the northwest. For now, it's pretty good for those along the shores. Image courtesy goes to sv.

gfs24hrjan200z.png

I'm perfectly happy with this solution too...:snowing:

Tonights 00z GFS actually trended a good bit north and west with what eventually becomes a more developed area of precipitation the northwest of the surface low. We could hope for a few more nudges to the northwest. For now, it's pretty good for those along the shores. Image courtesy goes to sv.

gfs24hrjan200z.png

Is this most likely like a 10:1 ratio event, or higher? I know for sure temps in the upper levels are essential for snow growth, not necessairly just surface temps.

Probably 12:1 to 15:1...850s are like -8C when the snow starts with surface temperatures in the upper 20s in NYC and mid 20s for the NW suburbs. A lot will depend on how much lift we get from the deepening coastal, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some solid ratios.

Can anyone in NYC verify how much snow is on the ground in Central Park?

This webcam from Columbus Circle (on the south edge of Central Park) certainly suggests there is at least an inch on the ground. However, Central Park didn't report snow depth Wed morning. LGA had 1" on the ground as of Wed morning, and they had 3" less snow on the ground than Central Park did before Tue's washout.

Its probably a 3-6/4-7" ceiling either way because of the warmer column as the storm tracks further west. But I'll sign up for this solution right now and would love a few hours of good snow. 5 more inches to hit 50 on the year and that would leave me one storm away from last years totals.

Good stuff. La epic winter so far.

Its probably a 3-6/4-7" ceiling either way because of the warmer column as the storm tracks further west. But I'll sign up for this solution right now and would love a few hours of good snow. 5 more inches to hit 50 on the year and that would leave me one storm away from last years totals.

Good stuff. La epic winter so far.

yea some amazing stuff...close to 50" and its still Jan. big one next week COULD put this year in reach of winter 95/96 in some parts in NJ.

its also nice to get snows during the daytime finally. if my Jetta GLI cant make it up the hill tomorrow, work looks like a long shot!

yea some amazing stuff...close to 50" and its still Jan. big one next week COULD put this year in reach of winter 95/96 in some parts in NJ.

its also nice to get snows during the daytime finally. if my Jetta GLI cant make it up the hill tomorrow, work looks like a long shot!

NAM has the snow falling from 10:00p.m. tonight thru 8am tomorrow. So its a night time event.

for an hour or two, but its likely over by 8-9am west of NYC.

Shocker. Beggers can't be chosers however, and for those who don't sleep in, they can catch a few flakes in the day light.

Its better like that for the city area. Less cars on road and less traffic overall. Snow sticks all over and much easier.

I'll wake up at 5am to catch the last of this storm.

Archived