e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NYC Jan 20/21 Obs and Discussion Thread

am19psu

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is the closest you should get to non-snow..id say we end around 4" looking at radar...wow that was close, I live on the north side of town and that actually might make a difference between no mixing lol

would not be shock...im sure edison is doing better then holmdel........you where correct pretty much mod snow now here..

The way its going we might end up with >6" up here..

Closing in on 5" now..

Hmm I was wondering why my amounts were higher even though I haven't seen the heaviest banding. Maybe the combination of elevation and a temperature of 23 degrees is helping.

Some redevelopment evident on radar back into E PA....lots more still to come!

But that is mostly non-accumulating snowfall.

I had some doubts as well...though OKX has access to far more upper air charts than me.

Measured 1.7" of new snow in Port Jefferson @ 5:00 AM.

Problem is we really have no official weather obs. east of Shirley. Montauk doesn't report current obs.

Even Montauk is 32F.

METAR KMTP 210954Z AUTO VRB04KT 00/M02 A2956 RMK AO2 SLP008 P0006 T00001017 PWINO FZRANO TSNO

The low is pretty close though - just E of Belmar, NJ:

http://climate.cod.e...ates/nj.sfc.gif

I had some doubts as well...though OKX has access to far more upper air charts than me.

Measured 1.7" of new snow in Port Jefferson @ 5:00 AM.

Small fine flakes are probably 10:1 kind of ratios. You want to see dendrites and larger flakes before you know you're seeing high ratio snow.

Thats not necessarily true considering you can have small dry flakes w/ colder temps that accumulate at a good clip.Ratio friendly..quicker accums. Im not saying you need a microscope to see them. PD2 had small flakes and it was mostly powder.

The OKX forecast for SE Suffolk is a huge mess...

Freezing rain - are you kidding me?

Overnight

Snow...sleet and freezing rain. Snow and sleet accumulation around an inch. Additional ice accumulation around a trace. Near steady temperature in the upper 20s. Southeast winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Friday

Cloudy with freezing rain...rain with a chance of snow in the morning...then mostly sunny with a slight chance of snow in the afternoon.

The OKX forecast for SE Suffolk is a huge mess...

Freezing rain - are you kidding me?

Overnight

Snow...sleet and freezing rain. Snow and sleet accumulation around an inch. Additional ice accumulation around a trace. Near steady temperature in the upper 20s. Southeast winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Friday

Cloudy with freezing rain...rain with a chance of snow in the morning...then mostly sunny with a slight chance of snow in the afternoon.

Cool, sounds like quite the interesting day out there-- its down to 29.8 here lol. Maybe this storm holds the key to what might unfold next week ;)

When I say "huge mess", I mean it's not likely to verify. Freezing rain is the least likely of all precip. types on the South Fork.

I wonder when the last time was that even happened? I remember Jan 1994 we had an all out ice storm, but the east end warmed above freezing. We had huge sleet storms in the 06-07 winter, but they also rose above freezing out there in those.

Archived