Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC Jan 20/21 Obs and Discussion Thread

am19psu

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1" here in New Brunswick and it's coming down heavy now

Same here in Metuchen - 1" on the ground (just measured) and close to heavy snow - maybe 3/8 of a mile visibility. 31F. Point and click now says rain unti 5 am for most of Middlesex County and points S/E; doesn't mention rain at all in Union County (OKX) or even NW Middlesex County or any of Somerset County, as far as I can tell. Hope we stay all snow.

Yeah, still it wasn't easy to make out, heheh. Definite coastal front as you noted...North Shore towns close to Port Jeff generally running betwen 26 F - 28 F at the current hour. Snow continues to fall here.

26 degrees from Greenlawn to Miller Place.

Hopefully the low starts wrapping colder air in by 6-7am, but I agree. Has to be no greater than 10-1 currently. At least the rain line looks like it might just avoid me. Better 10-1 ratios than puddles.

Yes, any kind of snow is better than any other form of precip. I hope we make up bad ratios with high QPF. Im hoping for at least 0.5" QPF!

Hopefully the low starts wrapping colder air in by 6-7am, but I agree. Has to be no greater than 10-1 currently. At least the rain line looks like it might just avoid me. Better 10-1 ratios than puddles.

Strongly agree...it's dumping here now. Haven't measured but it's at least a few inches. I love refreshing the snow pack like this...this winter rocks..big time cold on the way this weekend too.

Really coming down hard outside now, I'd say it has to be heavy snow at this point. Gorgeous scene outside-very calm, little wind, but pouring/ripping snow. Redevelopment and lift really doing its trick.

This is my favorite kind of scenery :thumbsup::snowman::scooter:

Down to 31.0 now, JM! :thumbsup:

We're definitely safe here now, I think. Eastern Suffolk yet to be determined, and some of those bright banding echos are headed their way, but they might catch up anyway from the stronger low and banding once the cold air wraps back in. They dryslotted for a time on 1/12 and yet finished well ahead of you and I.

Once again, some curious forecasting for CT from Upton. Absolutely ZERO coord with surrounding offices. Even BOX thanked ALY in an AFD yesterday about actually coordnating...

From some of the comments I have read from a number of folks in the NYC threads it almost sounds as if there are some NWS office rivalries or something.

We're definitely safe here now, I think. Eastern Suffolk yet to be determined, and some of those bright banding echos are headed their way, but they might catch up anyway from the stronger low and banding once the cold air wraps back in. They dryslotted for a time on 1/12 and yet finished well ahead of you and I.

Yea, being close to a strengthening low definitely makes up for any mixing issues. Hence the common misconception that eastern LI gets less snow.

Archived