• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NYC Jan 20/21 Obs and Discussion Thread

am19psu

Man...the RUC just won't give up with this heavier banding it's developing between 10-11z.

We've been keeping an eye on it in the SNE thread....as it makes a big difference up here. I noted that we better start seeing some evidence that band pounds areas as far W as NYC and NE NJ, otherwise this is headed in the direction of the NAM for precip even though the RUC has done a better job of the further NW sfc low and ptype issues for S NJ and near PHL.

It seems like mostly ENE movement right now and not much latitude gain for the heavier stuff.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

updated forecast for my area... they added sleet with the fcast :(

Overnight: Snow before 5am, then snow and sleet. Low around 28. East wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

i wouldnt worry too much, mt hollys 3 am forecast said rain til 5 am for me, still snow, heavy now. I mean I could still change over, but them switching the forecast to all rain was ridiculous.

We've been keeping an eye on it in the SNE thread....as it makes a big difference up here. I noted that we better start seeing some evidence that band pounds areas as far W as NYC and NE NJ, otherwise this is headed in the direction of the NAM for precip even though the RUC has done a better job of the further NW sfc low and ptype issues for S NJ and near PHL.

It seems like mostly ENE movement right now and not much latitude gain for the heavier stuff.

It's been trying to budge further north with the heavier echoes if you take a look over Central NJ near or northeast of PHL..but it's just not making much progress. It's gotten some heavier echoes up here a few times..and the snow rate has picked up, but then it goes back down again as if it's pulsating.

It's got a little bit more time to get it's act together..as the RUC suggests between 10 and 11z...but the clock is ticking.

regionalzoomrad400amjan21.gif

Looks like OKX will bust too high for northern Westchester and Putnam counties - the heavy echoes are missing them to the south.

updated forecast for my area... they added sleet with the fcast :(

Overnight: Snow before 5am, then snow and sleet. Low around 28. East wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

EDIT: forecast map:

Snow has picked up in intensity here. Real nice out there

Same here...noticeable increase in intensity with better flake formation.

SN/+SN

25.6/24

1.5" new

It is an absolute globe of white out there; plows have been passing frequently but school may be a lost cause today. Wherever the coastal front is, we're certainly on the right side of it as temperatures have been in the mid 20s most of the evening. I'm so glad I woke up...

i wouldnt worry too much, mt hollys 3 am forecast said rain til 5 am for me, still snow, heavy now. I mean I could still change over, but them switching the forecast to all rain was ridiculous.

well, KISP is now down to 29F with moderate snow and winds from the NE at 8mph so i do hope we're safe now...:thumbsup:

It looks like NE Monmouth County just to the north of the rain/snow line is getting rocked.

WE'RE getting rocked here too. Easily heavy snow and 500-700 foot visibility. Still the very pasty kind.

Good news from the PHL thread is that the cold air is collapsing SE now and areas west of the Jersey Shore are rapidly going to snow. 99.9% chance we're safe from any mix, and hopefully the drier snow works in soon where we can cash in on high ratios. ACY is 41F and rain, so there is definitely some nice frontogenesis going on currently. Our feast is literally south Jersey's famine, lol.

It's been trying to budge further north with the heavier echoes if you take a look over Central NJ near or northeast of PHL..but it's just not making much progress. It's gotten some heavier echoes up here a few times..and the snow rate has picked up, but then it goes back down again as if it's pulsating.

It's got a little bit more time to get it's act together..as the RUC suggests between 10 and 11z...but the clock is ticking.

It's not going to take much to get the expected 4-6" here in Westchester....really pounding out there with much better ratios than further south. It does look as if some of the heavier echoes in NE Monmouth might be pivoting north, but we'll see. In any case, still plenty of time as the radar is lit up all the way back into the Poconos.

WE'RE getting rocked here too. Easily heavy snow and 500-700 foot visibility. Still the very pasty kind.

Good news from the PHL thread is that the cold air is collapsing SE now and areas west of the Jersey Shore are rapidly going to snow. 99.9% chance we're safe from any mix, and hopefully the drier snow works in soon where we can cash in on high ratios. ACY is 41F and rain, so there is definitely some nice frontogenesis going on currently. Our feast is literally south Jersey's famine, lol.

Lol its crazy how that works out sometimes-- definitely seeing the 12/2002 and 12/2003 resemblances here.

Lol its crazy how that works out sometimes-- definitely seeing the 12/2002 and 12/2003 resemblances here.

I remember 12/5/03 to be a pretty dry snow actually. My temp even here didn't get out of the 20s. A few miles southwest was above freezing, which likely helped give rise to the heavy snow we had all that day. A winter weather miracle to say the least since it was supposed to be mostly rain. 12/25/02 though, absolutely. That was some of the wettest, heaviest snow I can remember here.

TWC radar has the entire south shores of Bklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk under rain on their p-type radar (all the way to the Southern State Pkwy as a matter of fact)-- clueless as always lol.

TWC radar has the entire south shores of Bklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk under rain on their p-type radar (all the way to the Southern State Pkwy as a matter of fact)-- clueless as always lol.

It's quite possible the warm nose at 900mb or whatever made it up to us, but the heavy snow rates saved us from a mix. The algorithm that TWC uses might be seeing this.

I remember 12/5/03 to be a pretty dry snow actually. My temp even here didn't get out of the 20s. A few miles southwest was above freezing, which likely helped give rise to the heavy snow we had all that day. A winter weather miracle to say the least since it was supposed to be mostly rain. 12/25/02 though, absolutely. That was some of the wettest, heaviest snow I can remember here.

I remember the first day of it was a pasty wet snow which presented for some quite dramatic scenery-- one of my favorites, along with April 2003 for daytime snows. The second day the snow was just dry and meh :P

12/2002 and 12/2003 were both nice surprises-- and both of those storms had Nassau County in the local area jackpot, shocker right there lol.

Keep in mind, radar can't determine between p-types. In fact, they should always mention that on TV, but never do. I don't even know if they are aware of that.

That low must just be off the coast still in development based off the land based obs and the buoy just S of you since it is still SSE @ 150 based off the 0850 ob.

It's quite possible the warm nose at 900mb or whatever made it up to us, but the heavy snow rates saved us from a mix. The algorithm that TWC uses might be seeing this.

Yeah, this is definitely like a spring time storm, where dynamics trumps everything else. I remember seeing a few really weird scenarios where it was snowing on the south shore and raining in the city (and even NW NJ) and on the north shore in situations where snow rates overcame temps.

This actually happened for awhile during the bust storm of Jan 2008.

That low must just be off the coast still in development based off the land based obs and the buoy just S of you since it is still SSE @ 150 based off the 0850 ob.

Yup, and temp continues to drop-- now down to 30.1 here. Big differences from the waters just south of here. I wonder if this holds some keys to what might unfold next week ;)

Yeah, this is definitely like a spring time storm, where dynamics trumps everything else. I remember seeing a few really weird scenarios where it was snowing on the south shore and raining in the city (and even NW NJ) and on the north shore in situations where snow rates overcame temps.

This actually happened for awhile during the bust storm of Jan 2008.

I actually almost postponed my trip back to State College to see that bust of a storm lol. Models looked very encouraging for a while.

Archived