joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see too much positivity. Pretty objective discussion and well-written though.

Yeah they seem to be cautious given the poor mid range model performance this winter, definitely the right move. There is also little model agreement outside of the fact that we have a storm. That's why I am a bit surprised at the 60% forecast for all snow for Tuesday night this early for DC.

I didn't see too much positivity. Pretty objective discussion and well-written though.

If the only major concern LWX has at this point is about the speed of phasing, it seems they are pretty confident about the coastal in general, just not about the timing in the MA being sufficient to allow significant winter precip. They raised model perfomance and past systems not as a killer, but as factors to keep in mind. I take that as a good sign 4 days out.

Unfortunately, I agree. In fact, I see skittishness all through that discussion. Probably a wise course of action, given the past 6 weeks or so. Just have to hope for the best and accept whatever comes.

Huff, I agree. I do not think this looks bad at all for our areas. We may flirt with mixing, but looks like a big storm verbatim. I would take this over the lack of QPF. Now let's just see if the Euro can score a coup because it has not been very good this winter. I would lean more toward the GFS at this point, but it is all over the place the last several runs. Been hard to get our hopes up this winter with the model mayhem. Really don't know until you get within 36 hours.

Do you have QPF numbers for ROA from the EURO?

For ROA its 1.31 and barely all snow on each 6 hour interval.

The ECMWF Ensembles...

The mean low tracks from about Waycross, GA at 108hr to the NC/SC border just NE or Florence, SC at 114hr, to 1004mb and just a bit WSW of Williamsburg at 120hr, to 1000mb and right smack over the E-W, longitude parallel MD/DE border over the Delmarva at 126hr to a very board 1000mb low well ESE of ACY at 132hr. Points east of a CHO --> Reston --> just west of Manchester, MD to Newark, DE arc would go to rain sometime between 108 and 114hr then back to snow east of DC by 126hr. Total QPF is >1.25" over a broad region (everything from RIC to OKV to NYC). At least .5" if not .75" of that would be rain for the change over region. The only safe guess would be at least .25" of snow prior to change over for all areas.

The spaghetti plot shows a huge amount of timing spread even as early as 108hr. While it looks like the timing issues would span an 18 if not 24hr window, almost all the suggested lows are along a Savannah --> just west of ORF --> central Delmarva --> ENE of ACY line. Thus, there's a good bit of consensus on that path. Several of the members look like they have a primary tracking through the OV/Western WV region with a few showing the primary as far east as about SW VA. The dominant signal, by far, is about 3hr, maybe 6hr, faster than the OP, a bit weaker and about 30 - 50mi east of the OP.

I know this isnt any of your guys' neck of the woods, but heres Mt. Hollys discussion:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

312 PM EST FRI JAN 21 2011

.....LONG TERM /MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --ON MONDAY NIGHT, A CLOSED MID LEVEL LOW IS FORECAST TO BE OVER THE

LOWER MISSOURI RIVER VALLEY AND THE MIDDLE MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY.

THE FEATURE IS EXPECTED TO PROGRESS TO THE EAST, REACHING THE MIDDLE

ATLANTIC COAST ON WEDNESDAY. THE LOW IS THEN FORECAST TO LIFT

NORTHEASTWARD TO NOVA SCOTIA AND VICINITY FOR LATE THURSDAY INTO

THURSDAY NIGHT. A MID LEVEL TROUGH FROM THE NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED TO

DROP OVER THE NORTHEASTERN STATES FOR FRIDAY.

AT THE SURFACE, COLD HIGH PRESSURE IS EXPECTED TO BE LOCATED OVER

SOUTHERN QUEBEC AND NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND ON MONDAY NIGHT. THE HIGH

SHOULD PROGRESS SLOWLY TO THE EAST. LOW PRESSURE IS FORECAST TO

DEVELOP OVER THE SOUTHEASTERN STATES OR OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST ON

TUESDAY. THE LOW IS THEN EXPECTED TO WORK ITS WAY NORTHEASTWARD,

POSSIBLY BRINGING OUR REGION ANOTHER WINTER STORM FOR LATE TUESDAY

INTO WEDNESDAY. THE TRACK OF THE POTENTIAL SYSTEM REMAINS UNCERTAIN.

HOWEVER, PRESENT INDICATIONS SUGGEST MAINLY SNOW IN OUR REGION, WITH

MIXED PRECIPITATION ON THE COASTAL PLAIN.

AS THE STORM LIFTS TO OUR NORTHEAST ON THURSDAY AND FRIDAY, IT

SHOULD REMAIN COLD IN OUR REGION WITH PERHAPS A FEW LINGERING SNOW

SHOWERS, ESPECIALLY ON THURSDAY.

-- End Changed Discussion --

The ECMWF Ensembles...

The mean low tracks from about Waycross, GA at 108hr to the NC/SC border just NE or Florence, SC at 114hr, to 1004mb and just a bit WSW of Williamsburg at 120hr, to 1000mb and right smack over the E-W, longitude parallel MD/DE border over the Delmarva at 126hr to a very board 1000mb low well ESE of ACY at 132hr. Points east of a CHO --> Reston --> just west of Manchester, MD to Newark, DE arc would go to rain sometime between 108 and 114hr then back to snow east of DC by 126hr. Total QPF is >1.25" over a broad region (everything from RIC to OKV to NYC). At least .5" if not .75" of that would be rain for the change over region. The only safe guess would be at least .25" of snow prior to change over for all areas.

The spaghetti plot shows a huge amount of timing spread even as early as 108hr. While it looks like the timing issues would span an 18 if not 24hr window, almost all the suggested lows are along a Savannah --> just west of ORF --> central Delmarva --> ENE of ACY line. Thus, there's a good bit of consensus on that path. Several of the members look like they have a primary tracking through the OV/Western WV region with a few showing the primary as far east as about SW VA. The dominant signal, by far, is about 3hr, maybe 6hr, faster than the OP, a bit weaker and about 30 - 50mi east of the OP.

hmm a low track over the delmarva is classic for HGR, and probably a good snow to mix to snow event 95 west.

The ECMWF Ensembles...

So if you are west of Reston you remain snow? I am just trying to get a picture of your excellent analysis

So if you are west of Reston you remain snow? I am just trying to get a picture of your excellent analysis

lol. Yeah, that's my best guess. The Manchester, MD point is probably wrong. Rather it'd appear to be a New Castle, DE --> Bel Air North --> Randallstown --> Reston area --> to some place that I just don't care about between RIC and CHO (likely 2/3 of the way from RIC to CHO).

Archived