• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

Looking over the individual ensemble members there is very good agreement between them and the OP as the storm approaches our region. Looks like once it hits around OC, MD though, they start to diverge to the NE from the OP. Want to say they are generally colder then the OP as they approach the region but could definitely be wrong.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could be correct.

My track record for this storm is horrid but that will not shut me up...

...time to hug a blend of the NAM and GFS.

PSUHoffman could get 10" in the upcountry of Carroll County.

This setup reminds me a lot of when I was a kid growing up in the Baltimore area. Storms frequently gave a sloppy 1-3 inch snow for us and I would look at the snow maps and see 3-6, 6-12 to my north and west by only 25 to 50 miles. Talk about being pi**ed off. :lol:

Lurking for a while. Wish I had found this forum last year :-)

I'm not getting my hopes up over here along the bay. Looks like my car will finally get a bath. Maybe you folks to the west of DC stay cool enough for a nice hit.

I hope it works out for the whole area somehow! I grew up in Calvert so I know how frustrating it can be over there with these marginal events. Every so often you cash in like January 25, 2000....my Calvert family were all calling me to gloat during that one LOL! (I got about 7" while they got like 20").

its not really THAT rare, but we do not remember them because 90 percent of the time when we get snow from a good H5 track we also get snow from the associated surface system and so its all blended together. Last year we got deform snows from the passage of the H5 low in all 3 major snowstorms for DC last year. But no one remembers the wraparound because it just became part of the larger whole event. What is rare here is getting snows from the H5/H7 lows after not getting any snow from the surface system. Its rare that we get "wraparound" snows after not getting snow from the front end. THe reason that is rare is because a good H5 track usually also promotes a good slp track. Here our issues are not the track of the storm but the lack of a high. This lack of a high also tends to lead to the disjointed nature of the precip. With a strong high you get better WAA precip ahead of the storm because there is more resistance to the surge of warm air and thus more lift. The disjointed nature of the precip is partly due to the lack of cold air. This seems common with similar systems. I do not find it that far fetched that we get some snow from the passage of the upper level low because most guidance has suggested it would be a good track for us from a week ago. The front end of this storm is not working out because it has trended slower, and the high has trended weaker and faster to leave. That combo killed our chances for a MECS/HECS down here. We still have a shot at a SECS if we can get that H5 to stay strong and pass right south of us, should crash heights and cool the column pretty fast and a quick thump of wet snow could happen.

:lol:

PUNT

Pleasant to wake up to the 6Z NAM, hoping to see some consistency into the 12z run now. Would be interesting to hear some red taggers thoughts on the 6z run whenever they get around to reading the thread this AM. arrowheadsmiley.png

We're getting close to the NAM's good range, no? Or is it still not as accurate this many hours out?

Since we are now about 48 hours out from whatever it is that will happen, the 0 Z runs take on a rather heightened interest. Since I am recent to the mid-Atlantic, having moved here July of 2008, I don't have the history that a lot of you do in seeing how models handle temps and boundary between rain/ice/snow in storms like this. Is 48 hours still too far out to feel like the models will have a handle on that? Or does it end up being a nowcast kind of thing in terms of temps (like it was for that ice event last week)?

Sort of interesting the NAM continues to cool and the GFS continues to warm. The NAM was originally warmer, but now the GFS is and the gap grew at 06Z. That is probably not a good thing since the Euro has been warm for several runs now. GFS and Euro together at this range is a good combo.

yet, NAM is usually the warmer of the 2 vs. the GFS

unfortunately, 3Z SREF's were real wet (1"+) but real warm too

the question is whether the NAM is onto something or it will fold to all the others

don't know, but we know what my thoughts are for this winter, so it looks to be tested with this storm if this winter finds a new way to screw us (like the Ravens found a knew way to loose to Pitt last weekend)

I just wish it wasn't the NAM at 60 hrs+

yet, NAM is usually the warmer of the 2 vs. the GFS

unfortunately, 3Z SREF's were real wet (1"+) but real warm too

the question is whether the NAM is onto something or it will fold to all the others

don't know, but we know what my thoughts are for this winter, so it looks to be tested with this storm if this winter finds a new way to screw us (like the Ravens found a knew way to loose to Pitt last weekend)

I just wish it wasn't the NAM at 60 hrs+

Yeah, SREFs are super warm, even at 850. They've jumped around last few runs, though. They also sucked hard on the December 26th event so I no longer trust them.

Since we are now about 48 hours out from whatever it is that will happen, the 0 Z runs take on a rather heightened interest. Since I am recent to the mid-Atlantic, having moved here July of 2008, I don't have the history that a lot of you do in seeing how models handle temps and boundary between rain/ice/snow in storms like this. Is 48 hours still too far out to feel like the models will have a handle on that? Or does it end up being a nowcast kind of thing in terms of temps (like it was for that ice event last week)?

IMHO, 48 hrs out is usually not soon enough for a final call unless we're clearly on the "rain side" of the forecast. Hopefully by 00z tonite there will be some confidence -- but even still, with storm track not fully defined, there likely will still need to be some wiggle room.

We're essentially where we were yesterday before the dry 18Z runs came in except the snowy model has switched.

i think the GFS is out to lunch. most models give us over an inch qpf and the GFS is between .33 and .50. So whatever its showing, its probably wrong. My guess is if qpf was heavier on GFS it might be a little colder

i think the GFS is out to lunch. most models give us over an inch qpf and the GFS is between .33 and .50. So whatever its showing, its probably wrong. My guess is if qpf was heavier on GFS it might be a little colder

I agree- it's a dry outlier compared to the rest of the guidance right now...might be the same convective feedback problems that plagued it on the Dec 26 storm.

I bet by 12Z and for sure by 0Z it will start to come around.

He'll define it as whatever he wants because it is part of his negative-weenie mythos.

I WAS referring to the "green hole" in the midst of all the blues. Was just remarking that the seasonal trend is to have it be DRIER (not necessarily totally dry!) in the DC-BALT area. And that QPF map depicted that idea. People are so sensitive and quick to attack others around here!

I would say that I don't have a "negative-weenie mythos." I would say that the weather has been "negative" snowwise this year, and I have been correct in my calls (except I underestimated the cold during the recent ice storm). So maybe I have been associated with being negative. I was sometimes criticized as being too positive (snowwise) in other events in previous years!

I could see it getting wetter and maybe getting colder but the latter is more iffy. If the nam still shows snow inside of 24 hrs, I'll start getting excited. Right now it's still too much of a thread the needle deal for most of us. Where you live, you might be OK anyway sinc eyou're farther away from the ocean. DC needs help.

Archived