• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The January 9-10 Storm Discussion Part 5

Isopycnic

Are we back to the glory ATL snow/IP years of the late 1800's/early 1900's with many more winters like this to come? Might this be related to the quietest sun in 100-200 years? Or is this pure randomness? Why do I wonder about this?

1) At least 3.7" of S/IP fell at KATL, making this still another major (3.5"+) S/IP there, 3 in 3 consecutive winters!! The only other time that happened since the late 1800's was way back in 1893/4/5, when ATL actually had 4 majors in 3 winters!!

2) This was the heaviest moderate to strong La Nina S/IP at ATL since way back on 2/24-5/1894!!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we back to the glory ATL snow/IP years of the late 1800's/early 1900's with many more winters like this to come? Might this be related to the quietest sun in 100-200 years? Or is this pure randomness? Why do I wonder about this?

1) At least 3.7" of S/IP fell at KATL, making this still another major (3.5"+) S/IP there, 3 in 3 consecutive winters!! The only other time that happened since the late 1800's was: way back in 1893/4/5, when we actually had 4 majors in 3 winters!!

2) This was the heaviest moderate to strong La Nina S/IP at ATL since way back on 2/24-5/1894!!

And I don't think this pattern is through with us yet! What were the temps back then? Was it cold like this, or all melty like the last few years? Hope you got some ip/z there. T

1) At least 3.7" of S/IP fell at KATL, making this still another major (3.5"+) S/IP there, 3 in 3 consecutive winters!! The only other time that happened since the late 1800's was way back in 1893/4/5, when ATL actually had 4 majors in 3 winters!!

we can only hope and dream. but these last two winters really have been the kind i remember growing up with. it really did used to snow and ice in the se a couple of times a year

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0018

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1027 AM CST MON JAN 10 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...MUCH OF SC AND ADJACENT SRN NC

CONCERNING...FREEZING RAIN

VALID 101627Z - 102230Z

FREEZING RAIN RATES IN EXCESS OF A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH PER

HOUR -- GREATER THAN .05" IN THREE HOURS -- ARE EXPECTED TO EXPAND

NWD WITH TIME ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF NRN SC AND INTO NC.

LATEST SURFACE ANALYSIS SHOWS SURFACE TEMPERATURES BELOW FREEZING

ACROSS THE CAROLINAS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF COASTAL AREAS...WITH THE

SURFACE WET-BULB ZERO LINE ROUGHLY PARALLELING THE COAST. WHILE

PRECIPITATION HAS SWITCHED TO RAIN IN FAR SRN SC...A MIX OF FREEZING

RAIN AND SLEET CONTINUES ACROSS ROUGHLY THE CENTRAL THIRD OF

SC...WITH AREAS FARTHER N INTO NRN SC AND NC REMAINING ALL SNOW

ATTM.

WITH TIME...LOW-LEVEL WARM ADVECTION WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THIS

REGION...WITH H8 TEMPERATURES EXPECTED TO RISE A COUPLE OF DEGREES

OVER THE NEXT 3-6 HOURS. AS THIS OCCURS...A GRADUAL CHANGEOVER FROM

SNOW TO SLEET -- AND THEN TO FREEZING RAIN -- WILL

CONTINUE...SPREADING NWD INTO NC BY EARLY AFTERNOON.

WITH LOW-LEVEL WARM ADVECTION AHEAD OF THE ADVANCING MID-LEVEL

SYSTEM PROVIDING AMPLE QG FORCING FOR CONTINUED STEADY

PRECIPITATION...FREEZING RAIN RATES OF AT LEAST A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF

AN INCH PER HOUR CAN BE EXPECTED ACROSS MOST OF THE DISCUSSION AREA.

..GOSS.. 01/10/2011

ATTN...WFO...MHX...RAH...ILM...CHS...CAE...GSP...

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0018

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1027 AM CST MON JAN 10 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...MUCH OF SC AND ADJACENT SRN NC

CONCERNING...FREEZING RAIN

VALID 101627Z - 102230Z

FREEZING RAIN RATES IN EXCESS OF A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH PER

HOUR -- GREATER THAN .05" IN THREE HOURS -- ARE EXPECTED TO EXPAND

NWD WITH TIME ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF NRN SC AND INTO NC.

looks like a good call. it really seems to be expanding across n ga, bona fide light freezing rain falling here now. 22.9*

The temperature will drop significantly as the air saturates to meet the dew point. I don't think the Triangle will see plain rain at any point.

Not if the temp rises another 3 or 4 degrees, which seems likely at this point with the thin cloud deck. Then the temps will drop to 30 or 31 and the ZR will bring it quickly above freezing.

And I don't think this pattern is through with us yet! What were the temps back then? Was it cold like this, or all melty like the last few years? Hope you got some ip/z there. T

1) It got down to 33 F here. So, we just missed it, but just west of here at KAV, itself, and at Pooler in western Chatham county, there was some IP and ZR with 32 F.

2) Three of the four were during quite cold periods.

3) How did you do? Did you get some decent IP?

we can only hope and dream. but these last two winters really have been the kind i remember growing up with. it really did used to snow and ice in the se a couple of times a year

By the way, congrats to you and lookout. You two are now officially in a megazone for snow.

KATL had a whopping 7 major S/IP's during the 15 years of 1979-1993! The last time ATL had anything close to that frequency was way back in 1893-1906, when they actually exceeded that with 9 majors in 14 years.

Even with the 7 majors in the 15 years of 1979-1993, there were no more than two consecutive winters in a row with a major. Actually, there were three instances of back to back winters with a major during that period:

-1982/3

-1987/8

- 1992/3

1) It got down to 33 F here. So, we just missed it, but just west of here at KAV, itself, and at Pooler in western Chatham county, there was some IP and ZR with 32 F.

2) Three of the four were during quite cold periods.

30 How did you do? Did you get some decent IP?

Only an inch. But it covered the roads so I'm hoping tonight after the freeze down there will be enough left on the big road to get my sleet sledding in. Sorry you missed it, but I'm thinking there are more bits in the stream for the next couple of days, and maybe another big one a week out...maybe I can catch up with Atl. then, and Sav can get pounded :)

Thanks for the temps... I thought I remembered it was cold back then. Can you remember a colder storm than this since that SnoJam storm? Tony

Only an inch. But it covered the roads so I'm hoping tonight after the freeze down there will be enough left on the big road to get my sleet sledding in. Sorry you missed it, but I'm thinking there are more bits in the stream for the next couple of days, and maybe another big one a week out...maybe I can catch up with Atl. then, and Sav can get pounded :)

Thanks for the temps... I thought I remembered it was cold back then. Can you remember a colder storm than this since that SnoJam storm? Tony

Congrats on the inch. I hope you get some good sleet sledding in. Only the end of the 3/1993 blizzard was comparable, if not, a touch colder, on the northside since snowjam. The 1979 big sleet was even colder than this one, but was before the 1982 snowjam.

By the way, congrats to you and lookout. You two are now officially in a megazone for snow.

KATL had a whopping 7 major S/IP's during the 15 years of 1979-1993! The last time ATL had anything close to that frequency was way back in 1893-1906, when they actually exceeded that with 9 majors in 14 years.

Even with the 7 majors in the 15 years of 1979-1993, there were no more than two consecutive winters in a row with a major. Actually, there were three instances of back to back winters with a major during that period:

-1982/3

-1987/8

- 1992/3

lol - thanks! it looks like we have been in the right spot lately. this has been an exceptional 2-winter period imo, and during a nina no less

Congrats on the inch. I hope you get some good sleet sledding in. Only the end of the 3/1993 blizzard was comparable, if not, a touch colder, on the northside since snowjam. The 1979 big sleet was eevn colder than this one, but was before the 1982 snowjam.

Yeah, I was hoping for a repeat of 79, but as long as the roads are covered later, I'm happy.

It sure is more fun when the warm is chasing the cold for a change. Thanks, Larry

If you get under a heavy return. Watch out. Had about 20 mins of good mod snow. Waiting on more now..

Well looking at radar it looks pretty spotty, wouldn't be surprised if this the last of accumulating snow. It was a good storm but the triangle still holds relative to areas just to the south, west and east.get

.3" to .4" of ice accretions. taken a few power surges as a result but the temperatures here have slightly risen ABV FRZ. The ice and sleet that was on my car can be moved off no problem now and the ice on the bushes and trees are starting to break up a little bit, but still very long icicles on power lines.

I think this was the heaviest accumulation of ice for the Charleston Metro area since 1979, maybe closer to Jan 1988.

Got a report from Darlington SC 9 inches of snow!

Well looking at radar it looks pretty spotty, wouldn't be surprised if this the last of accumulating snow. It was a good storm but the triangle still holds relative to areas just to the south, west and east.

How much did you end up with? Got 5" here, I'm happy with that, my biggest snow since March 2009. Your triangle still holds overall though for my rain departures..another 16" incher there for last year.

How much did you end up with? Got 5" here, I'm happy with that, my biggest snow since March 2009. Your triangle still holds overall though for my rain departures..another 16" incher there for last year.

Much to my suprise when I actually measured ended up with just under 4 which is good but considering what some of the other totals were a little surprising to only get that.

Foothills, kudos goes to you, you stuck to your guns and pretty much nailed the storm all the way around. This was a rather non typical (as of the last 25 years) type storm and your experience showed. Great work. Just under 6 inches here with light sleet now.

Great storm for the upstate and NE Ga. I ended up with about 7 to 7.5 inches with very little sleet / ZR. I forgot what a good 6" plus storm looked like in person. Simply Beautiful.

Robert you were all over this one all week. Great Job.

Lookout, NEGa, Oconee and Burrell congrats on the awesome totals

Hopefully we can get another one to chase here before too long, but if not.........It has already been a Great winter.....:thumbsup:

What is frustrating though larry is, as usual, the airport got a lot less than areas all around them since reportedly 7 to 9 inches fell in the north part of town/suburbs. Yet when you look back at it years from now, all you see is the paltry (in comparison) 3.7 inches in atlanta and their consistently low totals marginalize the impact and significance of this storm . Just once, it would be nice if the airport joined the rest of north ga and got more than their usual 2 to 4 inches. It's to the point that i feel like the official reporting station for atlanta needs to be moved to at least the northern or northeastern part of town. Of course that will never happen but it should because maybe then they will get amounts that more accurately reflect the rest of north georgia.

At any rate, great statistics and work as usual. You always provide some fascinating stuff.

And I appreciate the thanks. It's been a remarkable ride for the last year. If someone had told me 2 years ago I would get 4 major snowstorms (and a couple of minor ones but one included some of the heaviest sleet I have ever seen last year), I would have asked them what drugs were they on lol. It's hard to express how strange it seems after so many years of missing out.

I'm simply amazed at the cold and snow we have gotten with this la nina and everyone in their brother forecasting a much warmer and drier winter than normal here.

After reading this thread and looking at this storm on the tube all I have to say is I'm glad I'm in FL. Sounds like yall are enjoying yourselves so that's a good thing. My buddy who lives up in Franklin,NC says he's got about 10 inches on the ground. He said it's a ghost town up there. Nobody out at all.

What is frustrating though larry is, as usual, the airport got a lot less than areas all around them since reportedly 7 to 9 inches fell in the north part of town/suburbs. Yet when you look back at it years from now, all you see is the paltry (in comparison) 3.7 inches in atlanta and their consistently low totals marginalize the impact and significance of this storm . Just once, it would be nice if the airport joined the rest of north ga and got more than their usual 2 to 4 inches. It's to the point that i feel like the official reporting station for atlanta needs to be moved to at least the northern or northeastern part of town. Of course that will never happen but it should because maybe then they will get amounts that more accurately reflect the rest of north georgia.

At any rate, great statistics and work as usual. You always provide some fascinating stuff.

And I appreciate the thanks. It's been a remarkable ride for the last year. If someone had told me 2 years ago I would get 4 major snowstorms (and a couple of minor ones but one included some of the heaviest sleet I have ever seen last year), I would have asked them what drugs were they on lol. It's hard to express how strange it seems after so many years of missing out.

I'm simply amazed at the cold and snow we have gotten with this la nina and everyone in their brother forecasting a much warmer and drier winter than normal here.

I do believe the airport did better than the city proper (and the northern burbs) in March '09...but apart from the rogue storm that dumps on central GA, the northern burbs usually get a good bit more than the airport (especially in small events, and those in which temps are a limiting factor). March '10 and the Christmas storm come to mind.

Archived