mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread

MotoWeatherman

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I wake up to 4.5 inches, It must have snowed like crazy. Radar looks a little choppy though.

I'm at Warren Wilson College launching weather balloons and I can tell you we are not nearly as high. Just went out to measure a moment ago and only have 2.5". Seems like we should be picking back up again a bit though.

I had to run to the store here in Matthews and the roads are horrible. My tire tracks were covered in less than 20 minutes. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Toward CLT but plan on getting stuck here.... roads area already a mess and with ice on top of it tonight this place will be shut down. CLT will def get more snow that RAH so that is where I would head if you are serious.

I agree. Radar is prime right now for yall's areas. This makes the third straight snow storm where amounts are higher to my south. You will probably double my end total. LOL

Mixing in a good bit of sleet now in-spite of the good rates with this batch. Good dump with those returns, but is obviously enhanced by the sleet. Roughly 50/50 now.

Just got up and it's snowing moderately at the moment. I have almost an inch on the ground from what I can tell looking out on the deck. :) Currently 28 deg

I hope somebody gets their foot of snow :wub:

Wow, is it really that much of a difference between Lake Murray and CAE? I knew Northern Lexington was going to get thumped, but not as hard as this looks to be in the end. It's probably over 2" an hour easily.. and looks like since my house is towards the North part, we will squeak by here with minimal ice reading the meso discussion.

Ironic (and I bit annoying- that I would have to only driven 15 miles instead of 90 to likely see the same if not more snow. Bad forecasting will do that.... Maybe 5" here.....

Models blew the QPF up here man....all were trending wetter and wetter yet it just didn't pan out. Still a good snow though despite the lower QPF.

UGH, WRAL just showed their detailed doppler image and there is a SNOW HOLE over Raleigh... ugghh...

There will always be a snow hole in these situations. The radar beam is tilted at a 0.5 degree angle, therefore away from the radar site in Garner you start to rise in altitude. Thus away from the radar you are picking up virga and not snow at the surface. Since Raleigh is very close to the NEXRAD site it will not show returns over the county until snow is actually reaching the ground, thus you have the apperance of a snow hole but iit really isnt. Check the surface obs, the closest snow reports are down near Fort Brag and Fayetteville.

Archived