Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread

MotoWeatherman

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stay up man. You've come this far so you might as well push to the end.

heck yes! esp after reading this from gsp. i almost dozed off so starting coffee now. i mean when am ever going to see the potential for near a foot of snow!

The new west-southwest will feature snow accums around a foot around the NE Georgia

mountains...9 inches Asheville to gsp...6 to 8 for Charlotte metropolitan and

around 6 inches for north of the Interstate 40 corridor. About one

tenth inch of ice on tops could make power outages quite problematic

tonight...and driving nearly impossible.

I've caught up with the other dude from Chatt posting tonight... roughly 6.5 inches out there.. It does look to be slacking off though. Maybe temporary. Temp steady at 25. Interesting how it compares with the 4.5 snow from Christmas here. That snow was so much heavier, good thing I guess it's not like that, otherwise there'd be widespread power out. So far the power is hanging strong. And little wind too.

ok I was wrong. I can't believe we are all still awake. This is too good of a storm to waste sleeping through. I'm anxious to see how much you got Dawson. WeatherKid you cleaned up! Thats awesome. I heard someone calling in on AM750 who said they had 8 or 9 inches in Vinings. Not sure if thats true or not, but wow if it is. It was fun riding around on 400 listening to Tony Shivani (sp?) taking calls. My favorite thing is when I'm riding around and I hear them say "stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary". I will admit I almost got scared on 400, but it was a good kind of scared, like on a roller coaster. glad I got the 4wd. I had to tow a guy who had just got off a shift at Outback in Gainesville.

Good luck Weatherdawg. Athens is near and dear to my heart. I chased over there last year (or was it 2 years ago) when yall got that 8 incher in March. Man that was awesome. Funny thing is I got zero that day. soon as I hit 985 though, it was 5 inches all of a sudden.

I wonder how much Rosie is getting.

Thanks. I was born and raised in Northern Ohio (second winter in the South) so I should be used to snow by now, but it's just amazing to see so much of it down here!

okay light to moderate snow now. noticing these flakes are very small. tells me ratios are very very high as they are not sticking together. i could see these ratios as being as high as 20:1 or 25:1. Temp here is 26. looks almost like a mist/fog the snow flakes are so fine.

ok I was wrong. I can't believe we are all still awake. This is too good of a storm to waste sleeping through. I'm anxious to see how much you got Dawson. WeatherKid you cleaned up! Thats awesome. I heard someone calling in on AM750 who said they had 8 or 9 inches in Vinings. Not sure if thats true or not, but wow if it is. It was fun riding around on 400 listening to Tony Shivani (sp?) taking calls. My favorite thing is when I'm riding around and I hear them say "stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary". I will admit I almost got scared on 400, but it was a good kind of scared, like on a roller coaster. glad I got the 4wd. I had to tow a guy who had just got off a shift at Outback in Gainesville.

Good luck Weatherdawg. Athens is near and dear to my heart. I chased over there last year (or was it 2 years ago) when yall got that 8 incher in March. Man that was awesome. Funny thing is I got zero that day. soon as I hit 985 though, it was 5 inches all of a sudden.

I wonder how much Rosie is getting.

4.75" so far. Totally awesome storm so far. Looks to me like it will keep this up until about 7-8am before the best lift exits our area.

okay light to moderate snow now. noticing these flakes are very small. tells me ratios are very very high as they are not sticking together. i could see these ratios as being as high as 20:1 or 25:1. Temp here is 26. looks almost like a mist/fog the snow flakes are so fine.

Ratios are high here. So far I've tipped only .21" of liquid in over 4" of snow.

Wow - I have never seen southern snow literally fall to the ground and stick to the road like it is now. Within 5 minute the road was covered. This reminds me of the snow I was in in January 1996 when I went to a wedding in Frederick, MD where they ended up with about 30 inches.

yeah I like the way QueenCity put it, the snow is sticking efficiently.

Light snow started at 3:15ish am and picked up intensity around 3:28am. At 3:38am, our cars, driveway and neighborhood road is covered. About an 1/8" in the grass. Looks like it is RAINING snow. AWESOME SIGHT. The good Lord answered my greedy call for this to start early. OBs:

Moderate snow

28 deg

DP of 19

Winds from the east at 5mph

Thanks to all you Mets and Pro Forcasters out there for helping piece together this jigsaw puzzle of a forecast. You all are amazing. The SE peeps cannot be duplicated! :snowman:

Archived