Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC/PHL Potential Jan 11-14 Event Discussion

Rib

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol let me do this

take a line from dc to balt to lancaster to abe to stroudsburg to just south of alb is the .5 line

.75 runs from lewes to dover to salem co nj to just east of trenton to nyc to then to

i feel bad for you...it gets annoying with the imby next to the shade tree post......guys if nyc is getting .75+, good chance ewr is similiar.......lets relax and use ur heads...

i feel bad for you...it gets annoying with the imby next to the shade tree post......guys if nyc is getting .75+, good chance ewr is similiar.......lets relax and use ur heads...

You are correct and it is why when I saw your east-west of the GSP post, I deleted my request.

tombo...any more goodies down the road?

yea, the euro isn't bottling up the cold air like holding it back like the 0z run. It sends a piece i down at hr 174 accompanied by a cold front that gives everyone another lgt to mod snow event. A big piece of the pv is still sitting up in western canada, so we may see a cutter towards the end of the run not sure yet. The cold front forms a miller b and tracks over bos

Ratios are going to enhance per this run. The track is perfect too -- gets rid of any mixing worries.

Not everywhere. You can changeover to sleet easy along NJ coast with temps in the low-mid 20's...it has everything to do with the track and the lower level jet dynamics here...I've personally wittnessed it time and again.

Is it correct if I say that we still don't know whether it will be a straight Miller A(like the EURO) or whether there will be coastal redevelopment(like the NAM)?

The NAM is doing what it usually does on these systems at the tail end of its range...ramping them up too much/having too strong a primary/or being too far west...think of how many times out to sea events are portrayed as a hit by the NAM in the 72-84 hour range when all other models are a miss.

So is 12 inches a max situation with the upcoming storm and do any models show 1+ qpf ? I read last night on another board that as we get closer Sunday and Monday some of the models could start upping the Liquid over the area once it gets a better handle on the system. Unless this storm is Flying or doesn't really bomb out I have a hard time believing that the heaviest hit areas max out under a Foot with a coastal low. The storm on the 26th may have been a different breed but I was on the outer edges of the heavy precip and still received 12" and it really only snowed like 12 hrs where I was.

that's a perfect H5 track for NYC. Regardless of what the QPF output says, that is likely to be a double digit snowfall for the region if it pans out like that.

I agree. Verbatim that 500mb signature will capture the low somewhat and bomb it out east of NJ. I still don't think it stalls like the Boxing Day storm but it could slow down a little and develop more banding signatures like we saw then. At max I see this as maybe a 12-15" event, not 20-30". Still very impressive however.

I agree. Verbatim that 500mb signature will capture the low somewhat and bomb it out east of NJ. I still don't think it stalls like the Boxing Day storm but it could slow down a little and develop more banding signatures like we saw then. At max I see this as maybe a 12-15" event, not 20-30". Still very impressive however.

Yea, and if you look back through history, we've had quite a few big bombs that had the NAO phase changing from negative to positive. I remember that PD2 was one such system. If you remember, the Boxing Day Blizzard's phenomenal snowfall amounts were due more to incredible snowfall rates for some lucky regions rather than outstanding longevity; it lasted less than 24 hours. If it takes a favored track, this could possibly produce more snowfall than the Boxing Day blizzard did for Eastern Long Island (although they might still change over) and perhaps similar amounts for us (if you gauge it by the airport snowfall numbers.)

It's comforting, especially when you see the radar and see the current snow escaping just south of us, eh JM? ;)

DT via facebook:

*** ALERT ALERT*** 12Z EURO STAYS THE COURSE FOR BIG COASTAL LOW

.... HAS MORE PRECIP --ALL SNOW over RIC... amounts Increase from 0.54" on 0z run to 0.67" on the 12z run ... Heavy snow into eastern MD NJ NYC CT LI RI Boston .... (looks like a 6-12" even there). Hard to ignore th...is and go with the GFS and GEEM which flip flop every other run

i tried to un-bold it... no luck.

JM1220, great post. This won't have the same intense bands or slow movement like that one did, unless it closes off sooner and forms a cutoff low a la JAN 1964. Which can still happen, however, but odds are low.

JM1220, great post. This won't have the same intense bands or slow movement like that one did, unless it closes off sooner and forms a cutoff low a la JAN 1964.

Jan 1964 eh? That's a storm that doesnt get mentioned very much lol. As a matter of fact, this is the first time I've heard it mentioned.

Yea, and if you look back through history, we've had quite a few big bombs that had the NAO phase changing from negative to positive. I remember that PD2 was one such system. If you remember, the Boxing Day Blizzard's phenomenal snowfall amounts were due more to incredible snowfall rates for some lucky regions rather than outstanding longevity; it lasted less than 24 hours. If it takes a favored track, this could possibly produce more snowfall than the Boxing Day blizzard did for Eastern Long Island (although they might still change over) and perhaps similar amounts for us (if you gauge it by the airport snowfall numbers.)

It's comforting, especially when you see the radar and see the current snow escaping just south of us, eh JM? ;)

Ugggh. I bought into it last night hook line and sinker after I saw the NAM lurch north at 0z. The sun's shining through the clouds here somewhat, meaning that we're getting no more than flurries for the foreseeable future.

For the Tues/Wed storm, there isn't a lot of blocking to the north to really slow it down and maybe stall it. It might slow down when it starts to bomb but won't stop. Either way, there's no way I could ever say no to 12" of snow. :snowman:

I'm a little less worried than before about a hugger track since the mean seems to be settling on a B/M track and hasn't gone west from there, but it's still a small possibility.

Ugggh. I bought into it last night hook line and sinker after I saw the NAM lurch north at 0z. The sun's shining through the clouds here somewhat, meaning that we're getting no more than flurries for the foreseeable future.

For the Tues/Wed storm, there isn't a lot of blocking to the north to really slow it down and maybe stall it. It might slow down when it starts to bomb but won't stop. Either way, there's no way I could ever say no to 12" of snow. :snowman:

I'm a little less worried than before about a hugger track since the mean seems to be settling on a B/M track and hasn't gone west from there, but it's still a small possibility.

How many hours of snow are we talking about JM? 12-18 hours? I have a feeling this will be one of those night time storms =\

I think it can still go inside the benchmark, but not by much.

Archived