Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-12 Model/Forecasting Discussion

Ji

it's not good news for me either...

Ji posted a thread in our regional forum last nite to tell me unequivocally this would NOT be a cutter. Lee than posted that I had claimed it would be a cutter, (which i never did).

Just catching up those who think this is an unprovoked troll...it's actually a retaliatory troll

when more than model shows a cutter, i might believe it. We know how well outliers have done this year.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ji posted a thread in our regional forum last nite to tell me unequivocally this would NOT be a cutter. Lee than posted that I had claimed it would be a cutter, (which i never did).

Just catching up those who think this is an unprovoked troll...it's actually a retaliatory troll

yep, if it does cut i will move it back :bike:

Ha...I amended my post later on. :P

Was looking over 500mb's for the 2'nd storm on the GFS and saw something that concerned me and I wonder if that is why you have the GGEM solution. If you look at the 72 hr GFS you see that the southwest low is finally ejecting. If you also notice up to the north you have energy sliding south down the coast. I would think if the GFS is a little slower on ejecting the southwest short wave you may have issues with it phasing with the northern energy and having it cut up into the midwest.

So I just got the Bufkit files in for the 12z.. The good news is that if your north of DC, a very very shallow pocket of sub 32° hangs around through hr. 180 at about 950 mb mark (1400 feet) The bad news is that if your south of DC on this run... yeah, its not pretty.

The storm moves hundreds of miles every six hours, but let's worry about surface temps 192 hours out.

Was looking over 500mb's for the 2'nd storm on the GFS and saw something that concerned me and I wonder if that is why you have the GGEM solution. If you look at the 72 hr GFS you see that the southwest low is finally ejecting. If you also notice up to the north you have energy sliding south down the coast. I would think if the GFS is a little slower on ejecting the southwest short wave you may have issues with it phasing with the northern energy and having it cut up into the midwest.

Meant to also say that the GFS at this point squashes that short wave and leaves the door open for our second storm. If it were to intereact with the northern shortwave and drive into the lakes then it would screw up the set up for storm number 2.

when more than model shows a cutter, i might believe it. We know how well outliers have done this year.

Unfortunately, several of the ensemble members from last night had a solution that took the low into the oh valley or the lakes so it's not completely on its own. Plus, if you look at the gfs 850 low, it's pretty far north. I'm guessing that the euro will track the primary low into at least the oh valley. That's what the euro ensembles did last nite.

The storm moves hundreds of miles every six hours, but let's worry about surface temps 192 hours out.

Agreed, but its good to know that with that certian set-up you can expect that result. I know the system (if it even comes) will not be at that exact location, but this provides a base-line, so we can say later. "Well, we know from that 12z run that X happens, and now its X miles farther west and XYZ is different, so we can expect this"... Its like a creating a database of baseline markers to follow later.

Basically, the models are telling us there will be a storm somewhere between the Mississippi River and the Atlantic round about eight days from now.

We live in the most exciting of times.

Quite a stretch by the models there. Next thing you know, they'll be telling us that June is warmer than January and that there will be a longer period of sunlight tomorrow than today.:rolleyes:

Archived