SnowHabit
Jan 11-12 Model/Forecasting Discussion

Ji

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure hope JI doesn't see this thread now

I worry about that boy sometimes

it's good. think of how unproductive some stretches were last yr.. of course, we did get some payoff for "time wasted".

Wow...6z gfs basically lost the entire storm....even the euro was way south with it....

get off now. Its not going to snow this winter as we both had this feeling back in the Fall. A shutout now is probably to be expected.

get off now. Its not going to snow this winter as we both had this feeling back in the Fall. A shutout now is probably to be expected.

No point in getting off now we still have to go through the next 2 months regardless. I suppose now is the real time though to be as realistic as we can be and stop moaning about it. I will do my best and anything that comes snow wise I will enjoy it.

I do think this coming cold will under perform though....way too many people are confident in it happening and that always is a red flag.....highs in the 30's???? brrrrrrrr....NOT. We shall see though and if the cold is the main attraction then I hope it is record setting at least.

No point in getting off now we still have to go through the next 2 months regardless. I suppose now is the real time though to be as realistic as we can be and stop moaning about it. I will do my best and anything that comes snow wise I will enjoy it.

I do think this coming cold will under perform though....way too many people are confident in it happening and that always is a red flag.....highs in the 30's???? brrrrrrrr....NOT. We shall see though and if the cold is the main attraction then I hope it is record setting at least.

I know 30 for the high dosent seem really cold but that is still -11 (our average is 41). So lets january comes in at -11....that would be considered a brtual January for our area even though our highs 28-32 would not be considered brutal for most people.

I think you are expecting highs in the teens which would be a whopping 20 degrees below normal!

The way this winter has gone, I don't know why we are stressing over a storm a week out. The models have been pretty lousy this far out so far this winter. I'm waiting for the storm that isn't anywhere near us and then three days out shifts its bullseye to us. (Or, even a decent hit.)

Why don't we focus on Friday/Saturday and see if that verifies, even if its just a dusting or an inch or so. A little something would be nice...

This is probably one of the overall coldest runs of the GFS I've ever seen right through 384- and it's suppose to have a warm bias now?

The documented "warm bias" isn't tropospheric deep, it is really only mid-troposphere (and stratosphere). The lower tropospheric/near-surface temperature bias is more neutral, and tends toward cold with increasing forecast length.

I think people are dwelling too much (and misinterpreting) an increase in geopotential height (not necessarily thickness) bias. I can dig up some figures if interested....

Archived