• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 11-12 Model/Forecasting Discussion

Ji

just like the last run, the transfer to the coastal takes place in the nick of time to prevent major changeover to DCA/BWI

Hopefully, as we get closer the block will show up a little stronger. I mean, we're back to climo around here...so this is the normal picture. We'd probably mix at some point.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it could be an ice or sleet storm unless we move the 850 low southeast really rapidly as the coastal takes over.

i dont like this placement much for this range... too much time to go bad

I think we'd like the 850 low to our south. I'm not fond of 850 lows being to our northwest. Usually bad things happen. Luckily it's still so far in the future it's not worth worrying about that much.

we haven't had a storm go to our west in a long, long time

the seasonal pattern tells me that when we're sitting here a week from now, our concern will be if it gets far enough north/west for us to get into the decent precip shield

but again, that's based on the last month+ more than anything else

I think we'd like the 850 low to our south. I'm not fond of 850 lows being to our northwest. Usually bad things happen. Luckily it's still so far in the future it's not worth worrying about that much.

Time to dust of some weenie magic and use this gem: as we get closer in, the GFS will see the block better.

right?

Hopefully, as we get closer the block will show up a little stronger. I mean, we're back to climo around here...so this is the normal picture. We'd probably mix at some point.

I have no idea why people here spend so much time worrying about borderline temperatures at this time range, especially when the large-scale features keep changing so much. The rain/snow line is never nailed down until much closer in and even then the models often screw it up. They also tend to underestimate CAD in this range.

we haven't had a storm go to our west in a long, long time

the seasonal pattern tells me that when we're sitting here a week from now, our concern will be if it gets far enough north/west for us to get into the decent precip shield

but again, that's based on the last month+ more than anything else

the only thing we know for sure is we're still at least 7 days out and the odds that we'll see a snowstorm every run till then are almost 0%. so yeah it's fun to examine but im going to keep expectations very low for at least another 48-72 hours.

The GFS doesn't nail stuff like that this far out. In six hours it will be showing a cutter or OTS, most likely. Don't sweat the details.

i feel like until recently we didnt even pay that much attention to stuff in this range. i guess meteorology has gotten a lot better. i mean when there is a consistent signal it's one thing.

Archived