• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The return of winter pattern disco

Damage In Tolland

Heh, kind of surprised actually this thread didn't run up to 101 pages upon seeing that Euro run...

It's probably encouraging on some level that it did not, because people are [hopefully] getting less trigger happy and more analytical.

That said,

*HOLY SHISTER*

J/K... serioiusly though, this run is so beautiful to look at but unfortunately, and I am sure this has been discussed, this is just as discontinuous as the previous 3 cycles of this model. There's that, and the fact that the GFS's recent verification scores are rivaling the Euro, where the 00z GFS did not agree very well.

The 06z GFS did "trend" that way - which is a red flag not to drop the Euro notion for me because the 06z (as I have been made aware) should be treated as another ensemble, and 2 or 3 of the 00z members did have a slow moving hyper bomb.

Personally? I believe that signals that the 12z GFS comes in with big big problem from DCA up the Coast but that's just me. The Euro is actually doing this at D4.5, which is about 12 hours inside its wheelhouse of oops I should have gone with that. But we'll see..

John, seeing the 06z GFS and it's ensm. trend towards the Euro was a step in the right direction, I agree. At this point you'd have to play the 00z Euro as an outlier but one to monitor. We could have a monster on our hands if we get this ULL low to close of just right S of LI.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without looking...is that Cisco?

I think you can go back and look at a lot of potential storms at H5 and find an analog that matches it but we are 4-5 days out and this pattern is differnt then it was in 1978, I hate when they start throwing references to blockbusters............ :huh:

Seems kind of crazy to start chucking that analog around..almost like I got ahold of the HPC winter wx desk computer

It doesn't to me at all... Out in the main forum page I put a thread together 2 days ago with annotated charts featuring guess what? ;)

I'd be an idiot to go out on that limb, but eh, ....it is what it is in terms of "what it looks like aloft".

What I find shocking is that 3 days later the Euro does all over again - different analog though.

Scooter urges caution..so caution is what we will follow

Problem is...there are plenty of people who read that product but don't know how to interpret it. So you end up with people saying stuff like "I heard it was going to as bad as 78"

Agreed. I'd like to see the 12z suite of GFS/GGEM/Ukie come in more amplified with the ULL before we ride any Euro solution. We saw this with the last system where the Euro was amped up in the 5-6 day range only to lose it, than come back to it in the 2-3 day range.

Heh, kind of surprised actually this thread didn't run up to 101 pages upon seeing that Euro run...

It's probably encouraging on some level that it did not, because people are [hopefully] getting less trigger happy and more analytical.

That said,

*HOLY SHISTER*

J/K... serioiusly though, this run is so beautiful to look at but unfortunately, and I am sure this has been discussed, this is just as discontinuous as the previous 3 cycles of this model. There's that, and the fact that the GFS's recent verification scores are rivaling the Euro, where the 00z GFS did not agree very well.

The 06z GFS did "trend" that way - which is a red flag not to drop the Euro notion for me because the 06z (as I have been made aware) should be treated as another ensemble, and 2 or 3 of the 00z members did have a slow moving hyper bomb.

Personally? I believe that signals that the 12z GFS comes in with big big problem from DCA up the Coast but that's just me. The Euro is actually doing this at D4.5, which is about 12 hours inside its wheelhouse of oops I should have gone with that. But we'll see..

I honestly think the last storm devasted a lot of Weenies and that's why people aren't chucking right now. That's why I'm not.. give me that solution 48 hours out and then ill be interested

I would think by now after the last few storms that most people have learned not to ride any solution that is shown this far out but to look for trends as to what the outcome could be...

Also, I think that a lot of people are still emotionally drained from the last storm as well ad Xmas and new years. I didn't even want to look at a computer after last storm nevermind more models and amwx. I'm still to point Where I really Don't care if this storm misses my area lol.. its funny cause this storm could be bigger than the last one and to see how empty the boards are now compared to last storm at d5 Is funny..

I also think that this confused setup has allowed more Mets to provide input rather than Weenies like me...

Also, I think that a lot of people are still emotionally drained from the last storm as well ad Xmas and new years. I didn't even want to look at a computer after last storm nevermind more models and amwx. I'm still to point Where I really Don't care if this storm misses my area lol.. its funny cause this storm could be bigger than the last one and to see how empty the boards are now compared to last storm at d5 Is funny..

I also think that this confused setup has allowed more Mets to provide input rather than Weenies like me...

I liked the December 26-27th storm!

The 6-10 NCEP anaolgues list in fourth place 01/27/1978. That folks, is the Cleveland Super-Bomb. I was fortunate enough to be in SBI for that one. I don't think I will ever see the likes of that again in my lifetime.

I was living in Kalamazoo Michigan at that time - yes, biggest, fiersest, most powerful to the point of almost terror was that storm, and that is not subjective or open to debate. We gusted to 90+mph ON LAND, with 30-36 " of snow... No school for 10 days and no cars on road for a week. Power outages galore. Fatalities... My father had to hike for food for our family, and we lived in the city - not urbania.

Feb 6 1978 was a huge, historic, worthy beyond the pale out this way, YES. but ...heh, sorry folks, that was not the most powerful storm that year in terms of integrated energy. There was less population affected, and that is good thing ...otherwise the fatalities would have been much higher. That storm went down to 953mb and to this day holds the intercontinental lowest BP record...ever!

people egg this crap on but I tell you what.... I'd take a repeating 4-8'er pattern over something that risks life any day.

I was living in Kalamazoo Michigan at that time - yes, biggest, fiersest, most powerful to the point of almost terror was that storm, and that is not subjective or open to debate. We gust to 90+mph ON LAND, with 30-36 " of snow... No school for 10 days and no cars on road for a week. Power outages galore. Fatalities... My father had to hike for food for our family, and we live in the city - not urbania.

Feb 6 1978 was a huge, historic, worthy beyond the pale out this way, YES. but ...heh, sorry folks, that was not the most powerful storm that year in terms of integrated energy. There was less population affected, and that is good thing ...otherwise the fatalities would have been much higher. That storm went down to 953mb and to this day hold the intercontinental lowest BP record...ever!

people egg this crap on but I tell you what.... I'd take a repeating 4-8'er pattern over something that risks life any day.

amazing!

all i can say is this....

if the MA gets canada's snow again and we get partly cloudy skies from a Miller B with a rising NAO, i am gonna absolutely flip a lid

on the other hand, i enjoyed the 6z GFS.:thumbsup:

I would not be happy about it, But i think we may not have to worry about it either, I still think we end up somewhere in between......... :snowman:

You can have 500 setups that look similar, but we are missing arctic air and a 1050 high nosing in from the west.

If anything, this setup on the euro, reminded me of 4/1/97. You had a trough in the west, big ULL digging se, ridging in the Plains, weak trough over wrn TX. The only difference is that we had no blocking in that one.

You can have 500 setups that look similar, but we are missing arctic air and a 1050 high nosing in from the west.

If anything, this setup on the euro, reminded me of 4/1/97. You had a trough in the west, big ULL digging se, ridging in the Plains, weak trough over wrn TX. The only difference is that we had no blocking in that one.

It's an interesting point about the sfc PP...

1997 had a some early rain issues - imagine that storm with no rain issues? ;)

that would be be ... yea

yeah i think it will lie in the middle, south of long island to near the BM and into the GOM would be fantastic

looking at the 00z euro was a horror show seeing a low off NJ

That would be the ultimite track... :thumbsup: I still think this does not dive that far south, The Euro moved the surface low like 300 miles south that certainly raised an eyebrow.............. :huh:

Archived