Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Upstate NY/North Country Winter Thread II

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cloud cover from the lakes thermal low is the problem for us.

its likely we will miss our chance tonight to get into the deep freeze unfortuantely for you...

yeah, I was expecting that Sunday night would be the coldest night. It looks like we may get more vodka cold the first week of February. The three coldest Februaries since 1965 have been:

1) February 1979

2) February 1967

3) February 1993

About 2" here in the last hour. Just got in from a long walk - perfect mid-winter conditions with a temp of 15 degrees, light SW wind, and huge dendrites pouring from the sky.

Nice to see Lake Erie still producing, even though it must be on the verge of freezing over! I honestly haven't been following your wx much for the past few weeks...in talking to my parents it doesn't seem that there's been anything particularly noteworthy.

It's been funny seeing people here in MA try to deal with all the snow we've been having. The company I work at has already shut down for two full days, I've been sent home early once, and told to come in late once. If BUF operated like BOS, no work would ever get done in the winter months!! lol

Nice to see Lake Erie still producing, even though it must be on the verge of freezing over! I honestly haven't been following your wx much for the past few weeks...in talking to my parents it doesn't seem that there's been anything particularly noteworthy.

It's been funny seeing people here in MA try to deal with all the snow we've been having. The company I work at has already shut down for two full days, I've been sent home early once, and told to come in late once. If BUF operated like BOS, no work would ever get done in the winter months!! lol

Hey Justin, nice to see you checking in - we've missed your input on WNY weather! You certainly picked a good year to be in MA - I've lost track of all the big storms that area has cashed in on this winter.

I check in on the New England forum from time to time. Interesting bunch - haven't seen you jump in the ring over there. I'm sure you'll be an expert on New England snowstorms after this winter...

You don't want to wish for February 1979. As I recall it was an arctic desert. :lightning:

yeah, I was expecting that Sunday night would be the coldest night. It looks like we may get more vodka cold the first week of February. The three coldest Februaries since 1965 have been:

1) February 1979

2) February 1967

3) February 1993

Holy nowcasting! That super angry band of snow that simmered over ontario is on the move...even some redevelopment behind it with with the deepening cold air. What a nice little treat. Buffalo hastily, but rightfully is dropping advisories. Crazy hard forecasts and fun stuff these past few days. Looks like I'm staying up tonight.

This radar is fantastic!

post-912-0-62908000-1295759525.gif

Holy nowcasting! That super angry band of snow that simmered over ontario is on the move...even some redevelopment behind it with with the deepening cold air. What a nice little treat. Buffalo hastily, but rightfully is dropping advisories. Crazy hard forecasts and fun stuff these past few days. Looks like I'm staying up tonight.

This radar is fantastic!

post-912-0-62908000-1295759525.gif

Enjoy it! Looks like that band dropping in on you is worth staying up for. I ended up with about 4" here tonight from the L Erie activity.

If this 978 MB arctic gyre over Lake Superior as shown on the GFS for next weekend looks like it's going to verify I'll personally take a blowtorch to Lake Erie and melt the freaking ice.

That looks fairly similar to the type of storm that produced the infamous "Blizzard of '77" in Western NY. Of course the lake isn't frozen yet and you don't have near the amount of powdery snow on the ground as there was leading up to that event....but from a synoptic standpoint, there are interesting similarities. Maybe you'll maintain enough open water in the week ahead to squeeze out one more significant SW flow event before the freeze-up is totally complete.

On a different note, I noticed that my seasonal total here in Norwood is only 11-12" shy of the total at KBUF...and we could work on closing that gap even more by the middle of next week! Totally different type of winter though, since my 47" total includes an 18" storm (1/12) and a 14" storm (12/26). I actually don't know if I prefer the persistent, almost daily snowfall that defines the Western NY winter....or the large dumpings of cement followed by a week of sunshine like we get here. It's been interesting.

I live about 10 miles south of Buffalo. And I am at 78 inches on the year. The Buffalo airport receives some of the lowest totals in WNY. With areas south and east receiving double, triple what KBuf receives. We received 36 inches of snow in 24 hour period here in Early December.

Haha, I'm pretty sure Kulaginman knows a thing or two about the snow climatology of WNY.... And to be honest, if you include all of WNY, there are many regions with far less snow that the KBUF airport....but i know what you're saying.

I was out in Allegany County a week + ago and I can tell you that they have been running well below normal in snowfall ..maybe picked up a bit more last week, but synoptic drought overall. Same goes for Naples in southernmost Ontario County where I visited another relative. He hadn't needed his driveway plowed yet as of January 11th. He probably finally had to break down after that, but very slow start.

I live about 10 miles south of Buffalo. And I am at 78 inches on the year. The Buffalo airport receives some of the lowest totals in WNY. With areas south and east receiving double, triple what KBuf receives. We received 36 inches of snow in 24 hour period here in Early December.

i think they measure wrong or something lol,their amounts have been so low this winter so far..:thumbsdown:

This would be a prime example of why LES watches and warning should take on the same format that Severe Thunderstorms have recently acquired. The Southern have of nearly all of these counties could likely see less than 2 inches from the entire event. It just seems that these highly mesoscale events should have more precise warning system...oh well.

There were some discussions about this very topic. But since longer fused watches, warnings and advisories are county based, they continue to be issued this way. That may change at some point later, but not sure when (or if).

Yep, I grew up in Williamsville and I lived on the border of Orchard Park and Boston last winter. My seasonal total last year was 112" whereas the total at KBUF was only in the 70s.

Surprised no one caught this little error in the WCA Statement from BGM...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

1004 AM EST SUN JAN 23 2011

...BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS THIS AFTERNOON...

AN ARCTIC AIR MASS WILL POUR SOUTHWARD INTO NORTHERN NEW YORK THIS AFTERNOON ON NORTHERLY WINDS. THE COMBINATION OF WIND AND COLD WILL DROP WIND CHILLS TO 15 BELOW ZERO AT TIMES.

NORTHERN ONEIDA-ONONDAGA-MADISON-SOUTHERN ONEIDA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BOONVILLE...SYRACUSE...ONEIDA...UTICA...ROME

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TO 7 PM EST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A WIND CHILL ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TO 7 PM EST MONDAY.

* LOCATIONS: UPPER MOHAWK VALLEY...SOUTHERN TUG HILL PLATEAU AND GREATER SYRACUSE AREA.

* HAZARDS...WIND CHILLS 5 BELOW TO 15 BELOW.

* WINDS: NORTHERLY 5 TO 15 MPH. WINDS WILL DIE DOWN AFTER SUNSET.

* TEMPERATURES: SINGLE DIGITS.

* TIMING: THIS AFTERNOON UNTIL EARLY EVENING AS WINDS DIE DOWN.

* IMPACTS: THE WIND CHILL IS EXPECTED TO BE COLD ENOUGH TO CAUSE FROSTBITE IN ABOUT 30 MINUTES OR LESS...AND COULD LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.

Edit: Looks like it was just recently fixed with a re-issuance package, so I captured the screen of the old statement since I still had the window up...

post-538-0-41628100-1295809241.png

Archived