Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Upstate NY/North Country Winter Thread II

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well considering how the EC lead many astray with today's coastal I wouldn't be too concerned over the OP...ECEN is east of OP....

Between the Lakes Cutters in 2008/09 and the climo oh-so-wrong I-95 coastals this year and last.....(and today!) BGM is in the middle of a very sad pattern.

I hate to whine....but.....

If anything, the Euro shifted west a bit and brings mild air into most of NYS.

The GFS for the same timeframe (Day 6) has a huge polar high over the northern plains with cold and dry conditions in upstate NY. Here's my forecast for next Tuesday, going with a blend of the GFS and Euro:

"Mostly sunny with sleet developing in the morning, changing to rain by afternoon. The rain could not be heavy at times. Mild, with cold temperatures between 15 and 48. Calm winds, gusting to 50 mph. Wind chill values as low as 40. Total rain accumulation of 0 to 2 inches."

12z CMC still has a storm in the Monday-Tuesday timeframe, however models are all over the place with a track and haven't even settled on the idea of a storm in the first place, so take it for what it is. Lest we forget the CMC led us down the Primrose Path for this on-going non-event only to abandon us later on...

post-538-0-53926000-1296076491.gif

post-538-0-34403100-1296076505.gif

post-538-0-89096200-1296076578.gif

I had to laugh while watching the local Montreal CTV weather forecast tonight. She said that the next cold blast won't be as cold as the last one. People might be in for a shock next week as the Euro seems to hint that the coldest weather is yet to come. I sometimes think that some weather agencies do a disservice to the public by not making them fully aware of what might be coming.

And there it is. A solid solution for I-90 south, especially along I-81 and east. 0z GFS pretty much still has nothing in this time range, and the ECM has been well west every run so far, maybe that changes with tonight's 0z run. The threat is still low at this time...

Primary LP to Eastern KY, and a secondary up the coastline...

post-538-0-62598700-1296106387.gif

cmc is a glc :yikes: lol Looks like alot of rain...This 1 is gonna be fun to track..

Just had a look on E-wall.

There's a 1036mb HP over Quebec that locks in the cold air and initially everyone would start as a period of snow before beginning to mix and eventually change to rain / drizzle (save perhaps the high terrain around the Dacks). Secondary LP forms over the Champlain Valley and changes everyone back to a period of snow before precip shuts off. All in all, probably an advisory-level snowfall for most, and not a terrible solution for us should this end up cutting west.

With that kind high in that position, the Hudson Valley would probably remain below freezing. We can do quite well with those setups.......front end thump of 4-8" and then ice to seal it in. Just no more coastal plain hits :devilsmiley:

Just had a look on E-wall.

There's a 1036mb HP over Quebec that locks in the cold air and initially everyone would start as a period of snow before beginning to mix and eventually change to rain / drizzle (save perhaps the high terrain around the Dacks). Secondary LP forms over the Champlain Valley and changes everyone back to a period of snow before precip shuts off. All in all, probably an advisory-level snowfall for most, and not a terrible solution for us should this end up cutting west.

Archived