• Last Reply

ALTHOUGH THE LAKE INDUCED EQUILIBRIUM LEVEL WILL DROP FROM 15KFT

THIS AFTERNOON TO AROUND 9KFT THIS EVENING AND TONIGHT...THE LAKE INDUCED

CAPE WILL HOVER AROUND 500J/KG AS THE BOUNDARY LAYER TEMPS CONTINUE

TO FALL OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS. LAKESHORE CONVERGENCE AND LIGHTER

WINDS TONIGHT WILL ALLOW THE LAKE SNOW BAND TO REMAIN OVER THE SAME

REAL ESTATE AND AS THE TEMPERATURES FALL TO THE TEENS ACROSS THE

LAKE AND THE SINGLE NUMBERS INLAND...WE WILL SEE THE SNOW TO WATER

RATIO CLIMB TO NEAR 30:1...LOTSA FLUFF TO THE SNOW.

I eclipsed the 120" mark for the season last night.....Snowing heavily in L'pool from what I've heard, ATT and with 30:1 overnight and targeting MBY, might push 135" by morning!! Then a possible "biggie" for Tues. and the SYR area (airport) will possibly be within striking distance of all time snowfall record for season!!!

(WSYR-TV, Syracuse) Lake effect snow that was over Oswego County for much of the afternoon will shift south into the Syracuse area for the evening commute. Snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour are possible in the heaviest squalls. Combine that with winds gusting past 30 mph and there will be plenty of blowing and drifting snow along with white out conditions. Travel on area roads will be difficult.

Lake effect snow will be around Syracuse all night but after midnight the snow should begin to diminish in intensity. Snowfall amounts in the most persistent lake snows tonight will be 4-8”

*EDIT* Lake effect snow will be around Syracuse all night but after midnight the snow should begin to diminish in intensity. Snowfall amounts in the most persistent lake snows tonight will be 6-12”

Hmm.

:snowman: :snowman:

3.0" last night and today.

My areas is in the worst screwzone of all wrt snyoptic snows. (Buffalo)

Eh...You did well in March 2008. We were stuck with less than 12" of snow, sleet, and freezing rain. Same with Dec 2008, except we only got 5", followed by freezing rain.

Hopefully this synoptic drought will go out with a huge storm in February or March...eventually. :whistle:

This would be a prime example of why LES watches and warning should take on the same format that Severe Thunderstorms have recently acquired. The Southern have of nearly all of these counties could likely see less than 2 inches from the entire event. It just seems that these highly mesoscale events should have more precise warning system...oh well.

I agree completely. Very misleading. So far I haven't even seen an inch, wont be much more then that lol.

Enjoy the LES guys! Out this way i'll be watching that tuesday-wednesday storm closely, it definitely has potential to be big. On a side not it never ceases to amaze me how well southern Vermont makes out with upslope snow.. i see the Woodford spotter at 2200' reported at least 16" today which brings their seasonal total to 144"!

What a fascinating day in the NWS...and I mean no hate, I'm just sayin'. They post a LES advisory for Monroe early this morning....which I find interesting....they then upgrade it to a warning which I find exciting, yet even more interesting as this event did not display any of the characteristics that I would look for in a warning type event for Nia, Orl, and Mon counties...(However, they are the pros, so I'm hoping I'm missing something). And then it magically disappears 12 hours before scheduled to expire. Kind of wacky...

Its been a phenomenal winter SE of Ontario though, so no complaints from me. :snowman:

Interesting morning here in GF: +3.6 on the thermometer here but AP four miles away is -6.

Really strong inversion, too. Sky has sort of a brownish hue or tint to it and you can smell wood burning from the stoves and fireplaces in the home. The plume from from the mill goes straight up and then takes a near 90 bend to the left; I'll bet there's a pretty decent fall of ice crystals from it, too

-5F this morning.

NWS has -15F for Monday morning. -12F is the number to beat from last year. If it clears soon enough, we may have a shot at -20F. If we hit -17F, it will be the coldest since January 20th, 1994. If we hit -20F, it will be the first -20F low since December 13, 1988.

it's hard to get below zero around the lakeshore lol :angry:

had a burst of heavy lake effect snow around 10am :) snowing moderately atm http://radar.weather...101111&loop=yes

Looks like there's still enough open water on Erie to generate a moderate band. I actually thought the snow this morning was a streamer off Ontario or Huron until I checked the radar and saw the band moving in off Erie. I've had steady snow for about 2 hours with about 1.5" new accumulation.

BUFFALO HVY SNOW 11 7 84 SW7 29.93S VSB 1/4 WCI 0

Looks like there's still enough open water on Erie to generate a moderate band. I actually thought the snow this morning was a streamer off Ontario or Huron until I checked the radar and saw the band moving in off Erie. I've had steady snow for about 2 hours with about 1.5" new accumulation.

BUFFALO HVY SNOW 11 7 84 SW7 29.93S VSB 1/4 WCI 0

do you see that band organizing just to the west of buffalo? looks like its heading straight through buffalo northward :thumbsup::snowman::snowman:

Did they rename that after Trudeau? I haven't been to Dorval since 1999 when I picked up my parents from a trip to the UK. Though I have driven past it a bunch of times en route to Tremblant ....

low last night at l'Aeroport Internationale Dorval was only -19C

i guess tonight will be much colder, will have to get out the thermometer.

What a fascinating day in the NWS...and I mean no hate, I'm just sayin'. They post a LES advisory for Monroe early this morning....which I find interesting....they then upgrade it to a warning which I find exciting, yet even more interesting as this event did not display any of the characteristics that I would look for in a warning type event for Nia, Orl, and Mon counties...(However, they are the pros, so I'm hoping I'm missing something). And then it magically disappears 12 hours before scheduled to expire. Kind of wacky...

Its been a phenomenal winter SE of Ontario though, so no complaints from me. :snowman:

I was watching that. What a buzzkill - I was going to fire up the snow chucker thinking we would have a foot or more near Braddocks Bay here. Does Epic Fail come to mind here? :axe:

LOL :wub:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

813 PM EST SAT JAN 22 2011

NYZ001-010-230900-

/O.NEW.KBUF.LE.Y.0010.110123T0113Z-110123T0900Z/

NIAGARA-NORTHERN ERIE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NIAGARA FALLS...BUFFALO

813 PM EST SAT JAN 22 2011

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT

SNOW ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST SUNDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NIAGARA AND NORTHERN ERIE COUNTY. A BAND OF LAKE

EFFECT SNOW WILL INTENSIFY OVER SOUTHERN NIAGARA COUNTY AND

GRAND ISLAND THIS EVENING THEN SHIFT SOUTH ACROSS THE BUFFALO

METRO AREA.

* TIMING...THIS EVENING THROUGH THE WEE HOURS OF SUNDAY MORNING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES IN PERSISTENT BANDS.

* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.

* IMPACTS...RAPIDLY DETERIORATING TRAVEL CONDITIONS ACROSS THE

BUFFALO METRO AREA DURING THE MID TO LATE EVENING WITH POOR

VISIBILITY AND SNOW COVERED ROADS.

till next year lake Erie my friend!:(

It's not done quite yet. Was surprised to see moderate snow falling a few mintues ago, even more surprised to see the LES Advisory for our area tonight. I've been keeping tabs on the potential storm next week and had no idea lake effect was a possibility for the niagara frontier tonight. Nice surprise :thumbsup:

It's not done quite yet. Was surprised to see moderate snow falling a few mintues ago, even more surprised to see the LES Advisory for our area tonight. I've been keeping tabs on the potential storm next week and had no idea lake effect was a possibility for the niagara frontier tonight. Nice surprise :thumbsup:

lol same here :thumbsup:

Archived