Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Upstate NY/North Country Winter Thread II

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about eye candy... Deformation axis right over I-81, BGM to ART buried....

one of these days :guitar:

Add the new 0z Euro to the mix, looks like a similar solution, perhaps just a tad more to the east. The CMC / Euro are about as close to identical twins at Hour 168 as 2 models can be for 7 days out, and not just in terms of LP placement / timing...

f168.gif

f192.gif

euro continues to place a bit more emphasis on the northern stream wave for the next storm.....still though has all of NYS south of ART-GFL line in 0.25.0.50 precip for thurs-fri

north of there is 0.1-0.25 thanks primarily to the northern stream system, esp in ontario.

no precip really here in montreal area.

good ratios i imagine should be a nice little event for the southern half of NYS.

euro has a coastal storm next week day 7 and beyond. big hit in WNY and southern canada.....with ptype concerns for the rest of the region....verbatim.

euro continues to place a bit more emphasis on the northern stream wave for the next storm.....still though has all of NYS south of ART-GFL line in 0.25.0.50 precip for thurs-fri

north of there is 0.1-0.25 thanks primarily to the northern stream system, esp in ontario.

no precip really here in montreal area.

good ratios i imagine should be a nice little event for the southern half of NYS.

euro has a coastal storm next week day 7 and beyond. big hit in WNY and southern canada.....with ptype concerns for the rest of the region....verbatim.

I saw this morning's Euro's 168 (bottome) and said "where have I seen that pattern before".......and then I remembered!! Jan 4 1994, the famous SYR "snowburst"....2 consecutive 5"/hr., right during rush hour....:

010406.png

If you take out the SW trough, lots of similarities at h500 at Euro's 168: (but the key here is.........it's still 168 hours out!!! ;) )

f168.gif

I saw this morning's Euro's 168 (bottome) and said "where have I seen that pattern before".......and then I remembered!! Jan 4 1994, the famous SYR "snowburst"....2 consecutive 5"/hr., right during rush hour....:

010406.png

If you take out the SW trough, lots of similarities at h500 at Euro's 168: (but the key here is.........it's still 168 hours out!!! ;) )

f168.gif

nice analog..!

you must have a memory like ORH (Will) :lol:

4-12 inches with that one across E-ontario / Sw quebec

nice analog..!

you must have a memory like ORH (Will) :lol:

I remember the Jan 94 system very well (was living in CNY at the time). It was like being in an intense lake effect snow band for 3-4 hours, except it was a solid wall of synoptic snow. Also pretty cool that it came less than a year after the Mar '93 superstorm.

nice analog..!

you must have a memory like ORH (Will) sieve!!!!! :lol:

LOL! Memory, it's all great unless you can't retrieve it!!! I have a decent "hard drive" capacity, it's just my "RAM" runs with a couple 64MB sticks.....oh well, thank God for the computer, wife, friends, etc. :)

For people looking for nice big EC storms to slam us good (N and W of the Catskills) just look at the h500 charts from previous big storms.....collect them in your head, and sound the bells when you see them pop up in some few day prog....being 7 days out though is more of a "there's potential" than any sort of excitement ignitor

I agree completely, some very textbook looking maps for a Big East Coast event.... I'll be very interested in seeing what the next run does, definite potential here.

010406.png

f168.gif

010406.png

f168.gif

Got to love the mention of January 1994, one of the best winter months ever around here. :wub: I remember January 4, 1994. I was in Grade 8, and it was bitterly cold outside at recess. Later that week, Toronto got hit by a big snowstorm that lasted two days, January 6-7,1994.

:lmao: I have 23 cm. Still, I have to say that I am happy with what we've got so far. Ironically, the side streets look more wintry than they would if we'd had a 17" storm given there has been no snow removal, just snow clearing.

How much do you normally have at this time? I should have around 48-50 inches (121-127 cm) on the ground.

overnight modeling trended poorly for next weeks event, though at this range doesnt mean too much

a lot of stuff has to go right with the phasing.

also we have an east based neg NAO, which is Ok, but a piece of the PV is trying to act as a 50/50 and causing all kinds of suppressive confluence of the NE and lakes.

fortunately, its an east based NAO, not a true Greenland block.....so that CAN move out quicker, allowing the PV piece to get out of the way.

in addition, the PV is notoriously mishandled from run to run at this range IMO.

in the end, we need a lot of things to go right......right now the models are showing some potential, but nothing more. i'm not going to get excited until the models show agreement that trough over the NE moving out quicker and lessening the confluence....otherwise any potential storm will be more of a coastal and HV threat again.

latest euro is a good hit for everyone right to the internaitonal border with next weeks storm

but manages to miss ottawa and montreal completely :lol:

anyhoo, GFS is world apart and GGEM trended away form op euro towards op GFS.....havent seen ukie past 72.

defintely not feeling this event for up here, unless that mess of confuence improves.

Archived