• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ok folks..where do we rate this blizzard all time?

KEITH L.I

I'd put the area of Nassau you have in 21-24 in 18-21. I'm still doubting the near 24" reports we have in the county. From most people I've heard from who have driven into Long Beach or seen it in comparison to other towns further east in Nassau, it's about unanimous that we have more than they do, and my/Alex/Dsnowx's estimates were all around 20".

Agreed. I don't think anyone got more than 21" in Nassau.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been fortunate to be in the right location at the right time over the years:

1 - Jan, '96 - Monmouth County, NJ

2 - Dec, '10 - Monmouth County, NJ

3 - Feb 5-6, '10 - Washington, DC

4 - PD II Feb, '03 - Atlantic County, NJ

5 - Feb 9-10, '10 - Washington, DC

6 - Dec, '00 - Monmouth County, NJ

I've been fortunate to be in the right location at the right time over the years:

1 - Jan, '96 - Monmouth County, NJ

2 - Dec, '10 - Monmouth County, NJ

3 - Feb 5-6, '10 - Washington, DC

4 - PD II Feb, '03 - Atlantic County, NJ

5 - Feb 9-10, '10 - Washington, DC

6 - Dec, '00 - Monmouth County, NJ

Wow... You put DEC 10 over the back to back Blizzards in DC. THat's very impressive. Then you know this is one of the all time greats we are dealing with here if it surpasses them bothl...

Oh, if this was just 6 hours longer, '96 would be #2....

Wow... You put DEC 10 over the back to back Blizzards in DC. THat's very impressive. Then you know this is one of the all time greats we are dealing with here if it surpasses them bothl...

Oh, if this was just 6 hours longer, '96 would be #2....

Combined, that was the best week of weather I've ever experienced. Feb 5-6, 2010 in DC didnt have the wind like this past storm did.

Agreed on the duration. I distinctly remember '96 being a more prolonged event.

Here's some data for Hudson County, NJ since 1982

Source: NOAA National Weather Service - Cooperative Weather Station - Harrison, NJ

Sation ID: HSNN4

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONTH DAY YEAR TOTAL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APRIL 6TH 1982 12 INCHES

FEBRUARY 11TH & 12TH 1983 21 INCHES THIRD HIGHEST ON RECORD

JANUARY 22ND & 23RD 1987 11 INCHES

MARCH 13TH 1993 15 INCHES

JANUARY 6TH & 7TH 1996 28 INCHES ALL TIME RECORD HIGHEST *****

DECEMBER 20TH 2000 12 INCHES

FEBRUARY 17TH 2002 18 INCHES FOURTH HIGHEST ON RECORD

DECEMBER 5TH,6TH,7TH 2003 16 INCHES

JANUARY 22ND & 23ND 2005 11 INCHES

FEBRUARY 12TH & 13TH 2006 17 INCHES FIFTH HIGHEST ON RECORD

FEBRUARY 10TH 2010 11 INCHES

DECEMBER 26TH & 27TH 2010 25 INCHES SECOND HIGHEST ON RECORD

top five for me...Now you know what the blizzard on Dec. 11-12th, 1960 was like...

Unc agreed. With no internet, youtube and 24 media hype , 1960 was just like this. For me this was a top 5 as well. '96 is still #1 to me - spent at new house in Marlboro with one shovel and no phone or tv yet. ' 60 was up there and seemed so much more being young. 78, Feb 2003 and 83 were also in there. Here in C-NJ this was the 5th 10"+ storm in a year. Also up there for me was Dec 2000, feb 94 (back to back), 69. So many lately after a relatively long drought atfer 78 and 83.

Unc - whats your top 5 or 10. I would assume similar.

Here's some data for Hudson County, NJ since 1982

Source: NOAA National Weather Service - Cooperative Weather Station - Harrison, NJ

Sation ID: HSNN4

MONTH DAY YEAR TOTAL

APRIL 6TH 1982 12 INCHES

FEBRUARY 11TH & 12TH 1983 21 INCHES THIRD HIGHEST ON RECORD

JANUARY 22ND & 23RD 1987 11 INCHES

MARCH 13TH 1993 15 INCHES

JANUARY 6TH & 7TH 1996 28 INCHES ALL TIME RECORD HIGHEST *****

DECEMBER 20TH 2000 12 INCHES

FEBRUARY 17TH 2002 18 INCHES FOURTH HIGHEST ON RECORD

DECEMBER 5TH,6TH,7TH 2003 16 INCHES

JANUARY 22ND & 23ND 2005 11 INCHES

FEBRUARY 12TH & 13TH 2006 17 INCHES FIFTH HIGHEST ON RECORD

FEBRUARY 10TH 2010 11 INCHES

DECEMBER 26TH & 27TH 2010 25 INCHES SECOND HIGHEST ON RECORD

Did you miss Feb 1994?

I loved this storm, but there has never be anything like Dec 1992 in Boston for me in terms of duration, wind and the excitement of the mix--rain changed to blizzard and then literally flip-flopped back and forth at the end. And at a Christmas party 10 miles inland there was easily 30" of powder. While my friends on the immediate coast--Cohasset--had not one flake.

If anybody remembers, it even started fiercely that Friday afternoon--rain battering the windows as though a fire hose was aimed at them.

There was lightning and thunder and the most sustained ferocious wind I have ever experienced.

Top 5 in my memory banks here in the Philly Burbs

1/8/1996 - 28.9"

2/10/2010 - 26.8"

2/12/1983 - 26.5"

2/23/1987 - 23.5"

2/17/2003 - 21.5"

People rarely mention it, but that 1987 storm was very nice. I got 17-18" from that storm in the LV. That was a paralyzing daytime storm and many of us had a hard time getting home from work.

Unc agreed. With no internet, youtube and 24 media hype , 1960 was just like this. For me this was a top 5 as well. '96 is still #1 to me - spent at new house in Marlboro with one shovel and no phone or tv yet. ' 60 was up there and seemed so much more being young. 78, Feb 2003 and 83 were also in there. Here in C-NJ this was the 5th 10"+ storm in a year. Also up there for me was Dec 2000, feb 94 (back to back), 69. So many lately after a relatively long drought atfer 78 and 83.

Unc - whats your top 5 or 10. I would assume similar.

I have to go with Feb. 3-4th 1961...Over 20" fell in Brooklyn on top of 10" from previous storms...

January 1996 as second...23" Brooklyn... blizzard...

December 2010 third...20-24" Staten Island...blizzard...

February 1978 fourth...18" Brooklyn...blizzard...

December 1960 fifth...17" Brooklyn...blizzard

the Jan '87 storm was great. We got a foot in about 7 hours but I don't really recall the Feb storm being that big a deal this far north and east

People rarely mention it, but that 1987 storm was very nice. I got 17-18" from that storm in the LV. That was a paralyzing daytime storm and many of us had a hard time getting home from work.

the Jan '87 storm was great. We got a foot in about 7 hours but I don't really recall the Feb storm being that big a deal this far north and east

I had just moved the the LV in early Jan 1987. I recall this storm being in Feb, but am not willing to bet the ranch on that. I do recall only one good storm that year. I was lucky enough to be in Allentown for the 83 blizzard. What a night. Reminds me of 1996, where in the wee hours, you look outside and know you just hit the lottery because it's snowing too hard to see anything. Not a better feeling in the world than that. I gather that's what the guys in NYC saw Sunday night.

I know that DC and southern MA did alot better than NYC area that year. We had 2 smaller back to back storms in Feb of the 4 to 6" variety but got alot more on the Jan 22 storm. That storm may have missed your area for all I know and the Feb storm was more significant.

'83 was my first real memory of snow, as in knowing a storm was coming, watching it fall, measuring it the next morning etc. I know it was waist high and we couldn't even sled because it would just sink down into the snow

I had just moved the the LV in early Jan 1987. I recall this storm being in Feb, but am not willing to bet the ranch on that. I do recall only one good storm that year. I was lucky enough to be in Allentown for the 83 blizzard. What a night. Reminds me of 1996, where in the wee hours, you look outside and know you just hit the lottery because it's snowing too hard to see anything. Not a better feeling in the world than that. I gather that's what the guys in NYC saw Sunday night.

I know that DC and southern MA did alot better than NYC area that year. We had 2 smaller back to back storms in Feb of the 4 to 6" variety but got alot more on the Jan 22 storm. That storm may have missed your area for all I know and the Feb storm was more significant.

'83 was my first real memory of snow, as in knowing a storm was coming, watching it fall, measuring it the next morning etc. I know it was waist high and we couldn't even sled because it would just sink down into the snow

That reminds me of my first biggie back in 1972 of all years. I lived in the mountains of PA and we had a 30-36" storm in my area in late Feb that year. Wasn't allowed out in the snow for several days as my mother was worried we'd get lost in all that snow. 1972 was a "warm" year if I recall. Like most were in the early 70's. Then came the glory years of 76-80.

That reminds me of my first biggie back in 1972 of all years. I lived in the mountains of PA and we had a 30-36" storm in my area in late Feb that year. Wasn't allowed out in the snow for several days as my mother was worried we'd get lost in all that snow. 1972 was a "warm" year if I recall. Like most were in the early 70's. Then came the glory years of 76-80.

February 1972 was a decent hit for NYC and its suburbs but much more in the elevations of PA.

Fairly strong SE ridge in the 71-72 winter with cold anomalies over the Plains. Typical La Niña.

I have to go with Feb. 3-4th 1961...Over 20" fell in Brooklyn on top of 10" from previous storms...

January 1996 as second...23" Brooklyn... blizzard...

December 2010 third...20-24" Staten Island...blizzard...

February 1978 fourth...18" Brooklyn...blizzard...

December 1960 fifth...17" Brooklyn...blizzard

Unc, Im shocked Feb 1983 doesnt make that list!

1986-87 was a very frustrating winter. One county and like 20 miles south of NYC they saw 60" of snow in Monmouth County, NJ while NYC got a measly 25" and an average winter!

I'd say this storm was equally if not more intense in NYC than the storm in 1996. However, if the temperatures at the onset (first 6-8 hrs) of the late Feb storm of 2010 were just a few degrees colder, we'd be comparing all storms to that one. The hours between 12:00 and 4:00 a.m. during that event were very much like this past storm, equipped with thunder/lightning, heavy wind, and extremely high snowfall rates. The overall precipitation during that event was just insane. I always wonder what could've been. In any case, the cool temps, sustained wind, and heavy snowfall really puts this high atop the list of snowstorms for NYC...pretty much a toss up with 1996 for our immediate area.

#2 for me, but very close to my number #1 1996. Both this storm and 1996 were the only ones that I consider true blizzards for my location. Utterly impressed by both.

I wasn't old enough to really enjoy the 96 blizzard, so this is definitely the best storm of my life. 25" of snow with winds gusting to 35mph frequently, temps around 24-25 most of the storm. Beat my totals from all other winter events in the 2000-2010 decade.

Snow totals fell short of 96 blizzard by 5" here, and December 1947 was also a 30" monster in Monmouth County. So this storm would probably be #3 all time for Monmouth County in the past 110 years!!! :snowman:

I agree with all of these observations. 1996 was colder but this far windier.

Yep, best storm of our lives. Friggen amazing. Pretty close to 96 snow wise.

My area was just on the outside looking in( 10 miles or so) from those crippling snows..We still had a nice 12" snowfall but far from an EPIC event where I am so I could not put this storm on the all time list. With that said I REALLY ENJOYED the Thrill of the Hunt..which was a week of tracking that baby. It is almost Depressing once the storm passes as U know it might be weeks again before another Threat pops up to track. I Hope there is some big time events to follow this winter and some of the other areas who missed out get hit a little harder next time..

Archived