• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ok folks..where do we rate this blizzard all time?

KEITH L.I

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't old enough to really enjoy the 96 blizzard, so this is definitely the best storm of my life. 25" of snow with winds gusting to 35mph frequently, temps around 24-25 most of the storm. Beat my totals from all other winter events in the 2000-2010 decade.

Snow totals fell short of 96 blizzard by 5" here, and December 1947 was also a 30" monster in Monmouth County. So this storm would probably be #3 all time for Monmouth County in the past 110 years!!! :snowman:

For me #1. 96 #2. 03 #3 06 #4. All for this location produced similar totals around 24", but for this one having 6 hours plus of whiteout conditions makes it tops for me. I literally couldn't see my neighbor's house across the street from me (maybe 200 feet away) for hours.

The conditions during the storm, the havoc it has caused on the streets, the widespread heavy amounts and the winds especially put this at number 2 all time for me. I cannot believe how awful the roads are outside a couple main arteries. My street still has a good foot and a half of untouched snow on it, waiting for the city to plow it. Plus I've had no power side last night.

The conditions during the storm, the havoc it has caused on the streets, the widespread heavy amounts and the winds especially put this at number 2 all time for me. I cannot believe how awful the roads are outside a couple main arteries. My street still has a good foot and a half of untouched snow on it, waiting for the city to plow it. Plus I've had no power side last night.

Quite the year for you over there. :thumbsup:

Con Ed said about 4,400 are still without power in Queens.

for the Island the wind was most impressive..snow not so..but I would have to say in the city and Jersey it's in your top 5

in woodmere over the past 6 years #1...nothing even close.

over the past 35 years, taking snow, wind, overall conditions...this probably ranks 3rd behind 1978 and 1996.

The Euro was the champ here. It deviated for 2 or 3 runs but it had it lock,stock, barrel for like 8 runs in a row....GFS took over inside 72 hours.

but this might go down as my fav...as I found my Blackberry, in working condition, after being at the bottom of 22" of snow ALL NIGHT

this is probably 3rd all time for me. Snow totals fell short and that's why it is bumped to third, but the dynamics of this storm were great, and it was easily the most interesting and involved storm i've ever tracked. The reality is we had a good ~4 inches more snow (20 inches) during last year's blizzard, yet I wouldn't even rank that storm in the top 5.

# 1 is still 96

# 2 is 2003

I don't know if it was widespread enough but it performed well enough to fall into my "Top 5 Snowstorms". The snow banding and wind were unlike anything I had lived through but the duration was somewhat limited and the snow was really dry. PD2 is still #1, followed by Snowmageddon. This would probably rank as #3.

Can someone who lives in or near Queens (Flushing, Kew Garden Hills area) tell me what this storm was like in comparison to 1996 and 2006. I did not live in Queens in 96 or 06 (from TX) and can't really compare this storm to anything but from storms that occurred from 2007 and on. So for me this was definitely the best snow storm I have ever witnessed, but I want to know how this raked up against all the other big storms.

Crazy the huge disparities in Precip with this storm..I live in Somerset County Smack in the middle of NJ..I was on the western Fringe of the Heavy Precip by probably 10-15 miles..We had 12 inches or so while the Eastern Edge of Somerset County had 20 inches..A few Miles past that is where those 24-30 bands were..

We had a 12" storm last winter so to me it was just another run of the mill snowstorm..The potential was there and between 8 to 10 oclock it looked like it was going to be special(Heavy snow was falling)l but than the precip turned into light snow and flurries the rest of the way until I went to bed around 3"oclock. In this area I wouldn't be shocked if we get another another storm to rival or beat it this season..so for me it was far from Epic and I guess what made it worse knowing some of my friends who were in the next county were getting buried.

IMBY:

In terms of wind, this storm gave 78 a run for its money. Of course we had more than twice as much snow in 78 and the coastal impacts were far greater.

It was far better than February 2006 (although that had a couple of inches more snow). Unfortunately the memory of this one will be somewhat compromised by having watched the best dynamics go 50 miles to my west. Most storms, a foot of snow with 60mph winds would be a pretty good day :)

In terms of snowfall, this one probably cracked top 10 for the past decade :(

These types of snowstorms seem rare but they are probably common in this type of Greenland Blocking configuration that has been so prevalent since 2009. We don't have much data to work with and I don't think think these types of storms are as rare as many people think. This historical period of southern snowstorms probably isn't over yet.

Archived