Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    19,036
    Total Members
    49,013
    Most Online
    loganboehmewx
    Newest Member
    loganboehmewx
    Joined

September Nor'Easter Obvs Thread


WxWatcher007
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Are you finding the PWS with weather underground? How do you get a event total ? Do you select weekly and add the totals?

Yes.  I simply add the daily totalas.

 

I think there's (or used to be) a way you could put in a range.  Just as easy to add the days though.

  • 100% 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Although winds cancelled for Kev. Another let down for him. Even I thought CT would do better overnight. Probably too inverted. 

Euro 925 winds overnight for Long Island and CT didn’t really occur…. Lower atmosphere was very stable and cold or the storm was weaker than expected.  Overall down here outside Saturday morning high tide right in the usual spots this was a below average Nor’easter.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, vortex95 said:

When you say the weenie in Welfleet is 100 ft.  Is that is ground elevation or the anemometer height?
I say this b/c as long as the anemometer height is 10 m, it doesn't matter what the ground elevation is.  Yes, of course ground elevation relative to surrounding elevation needs to be considered, but ppl and infrastructure are still there! 

If one happens to live on a ridge/bluff, that doesn't discount it.  The former CHH radar/RAOB site sits on a bluff, and I recall comparing obs here to the CQX airport, Night and day!  CQX is not that windy of location.  HYA/FMH/PVC do much better.

Here is the BID airport.  Despite it's elevation, it is far enough inland and surrounding by trees that you are going to have sig differences to the shoreline.  I've seen this numerous times going E on 286 to Seabrook MA.  Once you get out of the trees and into the salt marshes, holy cow!
 

bid.jpg

When I said “weenie” Wellfleet site I didn’t mean it was wrong or incorrectly sited. Just that it’s in a perfect elevated spot to maximize wind. They’re the peak wind in a lot of events.

The one on Block Island is on a bluff too (Mohegan Bluffs) but I’m not aware of any elevation there near 150ft. Maybe there is and I’ll eat my hat. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

When I said “weenie” Wellfleet site I didn’t mean it was wrong or incorrectly sited. Just that it’s in a perfect elevated spot to maximize wind. They’re the peak wind in a lot of events.

The one on Block Island is on a bluff too (Mohegan Bluffs) but I’m not aware of any elevation there near 150ft. Maybe there is and I’ll eat my hat. 

While you're sifting through data please verify or debunk the 50 kt gust at Logan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

1" of precip and 30mph gusts. DullInToland

 

13 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Doesn't matter much, he confirmed last night what was long suspected. None of the data is near accurate.

I bust his balls, but wind is definitely the most difficult common weather variable for home weather stations to get sited accurately. Most people have trees or can’t get the anny on the roof.

I’m sure 10mph on his deck surrounded by oaks probably translates to 30-40mph. Maybe we can get a bumper crop of lantern flies and gypsies next year to take his oaks down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...