Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    19,039
    Total Members
    49,013
    Most Online
    loganboehmewx
    Newest Member
    loganboehmewx
    Joined

October 2026 general discussion


Typhoon Tip
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

What a morning.  Backyard view coming along.

IMG_9754.thumb.jpeg.10676338c1ef0c46586cf4c4cd6e607e.jpeg

It was a treemendous day. The only slight qualm might be it was breezy at times but that’s really nitpicking. I do think the foliage took a little hit yesterday but it is still gorgeous. 

IMG_7618.jpeg

IMG_7624.jpeg

IMG_7625.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • 100% 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

What’s all the noise on radar tonight? Showing up on KBOX and KOKX.

Ground clutter in precip mode.

Already 40s here

Although the social media weenies will claim that it’s migrating birds. lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mreaves said:

It was a treemendous day. The only slight qualm might be it was breezy at times but that’s really nitpicking. I do think the foliage took a little hit yesterday but it is still gorgeous. 

IMG_7618.jpeg

IMG_7624.jpeg

IMG_7625.jpeg

There’s something about fall golf that does it for me.  The course is usually in the best shape of the season, and the leaves are great when still on the trees, ha.  Hitting a ball into leaves, no bueno.

Im playing a charity event at the Stowe Mountain Course on Tuesday, can’t wait.  It’s the one time of year I get out on that track.  Probably going to be frigid with those 850s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bristolri_wx said:

Thanks. Seems odd it shows up some clear nights but not others. Seems quite “severe” today, whatever clutter is causing it.

The radars are in precip mode instead of clear air

The temp inversions develop at sunset from radiational cooling and the beam gets refracted back to the surface. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dendrite said:

The radars are in precip mode instead of clear air

The temp inversions develop at sunset from radiational cooling and the beam gets refracted back to the surface. 

Ok, that makes sense.  So the beam isn’t really hitting anything per se.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Im playing a charity event at the Stowe Mountain Course on Tuesday, can’t wait.  It’s the one time of year I get out on that track.  Probably going to be frigid with those 850s.

I’d love to play that but I’m not sure I can carry enough golf balls to complete a round lol. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ok, that makes sense.  So the beam isn’t really hitting anything per se.

Well they’re hitting the surface. Moisture/dew on objects, insect swarms, dust, etc. Although I didn’t see any flying insects tonight.

https://8245forecast.wordpress.com/2013/09/05/anomalous-propagation-part-1-ground-clutter/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You can see the reflectivities start over land surfaces.

animated.gif

 

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Well they’re hitting the surface. Moisture/dew on objects, insect swarms, dust, etc. Although I didn’t see any flying insects tonight.

https://8245forecast.wordpress.com/2013/09/05/anomalous-propagation-part-1-ground-clutter/

 

Ok so it's hitting dew or small items at the surface.  Is it any object, like houses, trees, etc?  Or is it stuff that's very small, certain size and characteristics that are similar to hydrometeors?  Sorry if I'm being dense, want to really wrap my head around this once and for all :lol:.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Late blooming miller Bs are great for this area. I’ll take that any day over Miller As.

Well that's part of the issue overall w/ you.  Beggars can't be choosers.  Now, I guess we can say for @CoastalWx "if it is not a Miller B, who cares...MEH!"

And what about the ones that don't "fit?"  Dec 9, 2005 for instance,  Or the early March 2013 "surprise" event?  How about the 100 hr snowstorm late Feb 1969?  Oh, wait,  "the BOS 26" fell over 100 hr.  It was all S- w/ sucky dendritic growth w/ an avg snowfall rate only 1/4"/hr -- WORST EVA!"  Meanwhile, in @dendrite country, 50"+ falls!
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean I’ll take anything dropping a foot or more lol. We’re just saying Miller Bs are typically more generous for this region. 

Be more specific.  Let me put it this way, if NNE gets a foot plus and @dendrite is walking in "white gold," and Weymouth is all rain, you are just as mad as if no storm occurred at all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

 

Ok so it's hitting dew or small items at the surface.  Is it any object, like houses, trees, etc?  Or is it stuff that's very small, certain size and characteristics that are similar to hydrometeors?  Sorry if I'm being dense, want to really wrap my head around this once and for all :lol:.

Sure. It can hit anything. There’s some filtering algorithms. On social media tonight there’s some vids from Cedar Point in OH where there’s huge swarms of insects coming off of Lake Erie.

Here’s an example of the beam being ducted back to the surface and picking up traffic on I40 east of KLIT

https://www.kark.com/weather/weather-headlines/ast-blog-radar-beams-towards-i-40/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...