Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 8

NickD2011

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't understand mesoscale dynamics and the impacts of that on snowfall totals, then you'll never understand the snow map. So I'm not surprised with the snow google BS quotes.

Hi Steve,

Are you confident in your totals west of Philly? I assume yes as you put the map out public.

Only qustion is all recent runs of the GFS/NAM drop totals rapidly out towarrds coatesville Reading zone

New GFS dropped a big turn

HRRR absolutely clobbers LI with deformation bands later this afternoon and tonight. Snow already starting to pick up here on Western LI. post-1973-0-84128200-1293379726.png

post-1973-0-72404000-1293380025.png An inch of qpf for most of the coastal areas by 1z tonight. Probably overdoing it, but interesting none the less.

LOL- that has a 968 slp

Yes, no virga. Having been tracking this from the coast, westward through NJ. There has been no virga anywhere. Starts immediately as the radar returns are over you. Snowing already in Hopatcong, Sussex County, NJ.

Hopefully other posters are right about there being no virga. I see the snow is almost to Lansdale now, can anyone confirm anything?

Just based on its first 6 hours evolution I think its too far east.

question for you- take a look at the SUNY MM5 link http://cheget.msrc.sunysb.edu/html/alt_mm5.cgi

the 24 hour qpf map starts at hr 36, does that mean the FIRSt 12 hours arent accounted for on that map? If so it appears as if NYC/LI gets .70 or so BEFORE hour 12 and about an 1" after....can you confirm that is what the MM5 is showing. Thanks.

Two historic points regarding the upcoming storm:

1) It would be only the third KU-type storm to occur with a moderate/strong La Niña (1871-2009). The December 1909 and January 2000 storms are the only ones to date.

2) It would only be the second 9" or greater snowfall at Norfolk (likely figure there) to bring a significant snowfall (10" or more to NYC). The only storm to do so to date is the February 1899 blizzard.

Don, what does it take to qualify as a KU event? I've been a bit confused about this-- if I remember right is it three of the five big east coast cities have to get 10" or more? (3 of the following: DCA, BWI, PHL, NYC, BOS). I call a "limited" KU, one that only drops 10" plus in one of those cities.

question for you- take a look at the SUNY MM5 link http://cheget.msrc.s...tml/alt_mm5.cgi

the 24 hour qpf map starts at hr 36, does that mean the FIRSt 12 hours arent accounted for on that map? If so it appears as if NYC/LI gets .70 or so BEFORE hour 12 and about an 1" after....can you confirm that is what the MM5 is showing. Thanks.

The 36 hour total precip is precip from 00Z Monday to 12Z Monday.

Upton discussion is considering raising the max totals for Long Island and S CT to over 20 inches. Amazing. It already looks great outside and "serene", I can only imagine what it will be like in 6-8 hours once the intense winds arrive plus much heavier snow rates.

I already think this is going to better than ANYTHING that happened last winter :thumbsup:

Archived