• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Severe Weather 5-6 through 5-9-24

14 minutes ago, Normandy said:

I’d watch the tail end Charlie heading just north of OKC metro.  Low level jet will start cranking more so not ready to say bust yet

That cell seems to be coming together now

3 minutes ago, vman722 said:

Not calling bust on the nocturnal threat, but it’s safe to say the couple discrete supercells earlier that were very similar to what the CAMS depicted underperformed the lofty expectations. There were def some brief most likely heavily rain wrapped tornadoes but overall the first part was tempered. Curious to hear from experienced Mets why they mostly failed to take advantage of the wild parameter space.

First wave initiated early, before LLJ cranked and helicity values peaked. Those things are happening as I type this….reason why I will say, yet again, the forecast was for 9pm-4am. Midnight is the sweet spot in the timing.

7 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Up until this point, there's been nothing to force convective development south of I-40

That said, I would still keep an eye out on the Lawton and Wichita Falls area for more discrete development over the next couple of hours, especially with the actual jet streak moving in.

NWS Norman seems to be on a similar wavelength, because they're now thinking the best timing for severe weather in OKC and southward is between 11pm and 1am.

The HRRR has been fairly consistent in bringing storms through the OKC Metro during that period;  the question is whether they will be discrete or some sort of QLCS thing.    There are UH tracks in the HRRR output associated with those storms, but they're overall not super impressive.    That suggests that despite the excellent parameter space, the mode may not be favorable for a high-end threat.    It of course bears close watching, however.

4 minutes ago, Sydney Claridge said:

The storm approaching Barnsdall, if it holds together, is on a track that would take it into (or at least close to) Bartlesville in around 30 minutes. Hopefully that line to the west will catch up to this supercell soon.

Barnsdall is about to take a direct hit from looks to be at least an EF4 tornado with a large to massive diameter. 

• Thanks 1

• cheese007 changed the title to Severe Weather 5-6 through 5-9-24