• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
May 2024 Discussion - Welcome to Severe Season!!!!

weatherwiz

Another low 70s day, 4th in the last 5 with 69 on the one miss.  TD is well below midsummer swamp level, but high enough for considerable sweat while working up some firewood.  (The fact that it was elm added to the sweat, though my having killed the tree 2 years ago actually made the cross-grain a bit weaker.)  Fair amount of black flies out and about, and starting to get hungry.  Maybe we'll miss the worst of the swarms as we're headed to SNJ for the last week of the month - oldest granddaughter graduates HS.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We no go there right now. But soccer will suck tomorrow. 

Heading down to Albany this weekend, should be a bit better out that way.  

Moving my folks from ALB to SNH and my sister and her 3 kids are going from BGM to SNH too for my brother-in-laws job.  Going to start spending more time down that way between CON and MHT.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Another low 70s day, 4th in the last 5 with 69 on the one miss.  TD is well below midsummer swamp level, but high enough for considerable sweat while working up some firewood.  (The fact that it was elm added to the sweat, though my having killed the tree 2 years ago actually made the cross-grain a bit weaker.)  Fair amount of black flies out and about, and starting to get hungry.  Maybe we'll miss the worst of the swarms as we're headed to SNJ for the last week of the month - oldest granddaughter graduates HS.

Yeah we’ve had one 69F and 4 days of 70+ in the past 5.  Really been a nice stretch in NNE over the top.

Black flies were noted yesterday for the first time at the mountain, though not biting or really swarming.  Seemed like drunk black flies waking up or something, just aimlessly floating around.  They’ll sober up and get the munchies soon.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Heading down to Albany this weekend, should be a bit better out that way.  

Moving my folks from ALB to SNH and my sister and her 3 kids are going from BGM to SNH too for my brother-in-laws job.  Going to start spending more time down that way between CON and MHT.

What town(s)??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah we’ve had one 69F and 4 days of 70+ in the past 5.  Really been a nice stretch in NNE over the top.

Black flies were noted yesterday for the first time at the mountain, though not biting or really swarming.  Seemed like drunk black flies waking up or something, just aimlessly floating around.  They’ll sober up and get the munchies soon.

A few days checking out the buffet, then a week or so of casual dining (the current situation here) followed by a week plus of diving in teeth first - no wandering around looking for a soft spot, just eat and run.

Sugar maple leaves about 3/4 grown, red oak halfway, ash and basswood lagging behind as always.

• Like 1

Interesting little short term battle between the this new 18z GFS vs everything else for SNE for tomorrow.  

GFS is gray but dry...probably a little milder by virtue of being so.  Perhaps a little drizzle on the immediate shore points.  Maybe some breaks in ceiling out CT and western MA.

everything else squares the day into the dumpster with steady light rain shut in weather. 

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Bedford.

Dude. nice town.  come down next winter and we’ll do some green dot skiing at Pats Peak. nothing challenging there but they have a nice apres bar.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

A few days checking out the buffet, then a week or so of casual dining (the current situation here) followed by a week plus of diving in teeth first - no wandering around looking for a soft spot, just eat and run.

Sugar maple leaves about 3/4 grown, red oak halfway, ash and basswood lagging behind as always.

I had never noticed before that ash trees were so late. I would have guessed they were an early leafer. Sycamore and locust sure.

16 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I had never noticed before that ash trees were so late. I would have guessed they were an early leafer. Sycamore and locust sure.

They're not late, they're dead.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

My ashes and pawpaws are just leafing out. I think the latest trees on my property are the northern catalpas. Those still look like stick season.

Black locust on my property.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, kdxken said:

That's what I thought but they're leaving out now. Millions of dead ones in Connecticut. I noticed them last year .

Why are you confused? Have you been through Somers? So many dead ash trees...

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, kdxken said:

That's what I thought but they're leaving out now. Millions of dead ones in Connecticut. I noticed them last year .

Yea, sucks. Only a matter of time before yours are too. It hit home they were all gonna go about 5 years ago when asplundh took down the giant ash tree I walked by almost every day as a kid after getting off the bus. Wasn't long before they were all dead in my home town. I've got a couple hunks of 3' round of the butt log of one from my buddies house to mill up. Hopefully I get to it before the real bugs.

• Like 2