Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024 Disco- SNE’s favorite month

HoarfrostHubb

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I guess the record yesterday was 0? I mean ok I guess. Low was 1F today. Hopefully the observers popped a bottle to the record.

LEB was 1F from their record. SLK 2F. It was damn cold for late April north of the foothills. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

These ACATT guys are certainly a rare breed 

Yea ADATT but uses ORH as his reference.  Just remember in July when you tout 70⁰ dews over your mulch beds while ORH is 62⁰ dews, we won't forget.  

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Scott lost it this winter. Now complaining about dry. Dude is never happy always looks at the down side of life.  Hey can you hook me up with the low max high max low min high max site? Dews lol yea in 2 months. Always rushing seasons year after year.

I’m happy that winter is over. Still smiling.

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Why can’t we just call a spade a spade on here in the warm season?  lol.

Sometimes it’s cold, sometimes it’s hot.

8 months of this forum is like a team sport that you need to pick sides, and the other 4 months are bitching about winter :lol:.

I know it's all mostly said in good fun but it's mostly using backyard obs to justify the overall picture. 

For example, poster A could live in a location where it is 87 and say its hot and and summer is here. Poster B may live in a location (higher elevation, coastal, woods) where it is only 71 and say its cool, where is summer?

So who is correct? They're each correct per their location, but the overall picture, its more than likely a warmer pattern in place but where poster B lives there is local influences going on. 

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I think Tip is kind of overplaying things. If it’s 55-60 along the coast even with onshore flow that’s 70-75 minimally inland. He seems to be portraying gloom cold misery mist. Spring doors are very nice away from oceans . Doors aren’t bad like some portray 

Well, we’ve had plenty of doors that went down to New Jersey and locked all of the region in shit weather. I haven’t really dig deep to see what the possibilities are, but it does look like overall inland would be warm anyways. But you know how these go, it’s a dangerous game to think it’s just gonna be warm. 

At this moment, in the actual charts that people actually 'look at,'  Sunday has the best potential for a W wind warm day - sun assisted.

That said, even it is somewhat laced with uncertainty because a diffused warm boundary is attempting to smear through the area overnight, Saturday night, and the models are not making it abundantly clear whether that passes cleanly off or doesn't stall in the area.   Some models have QPF dappled in the area.  Seems to be trending toward less of that taint so ... it may end up more partly sunny with warm advection entrails around and temps rising over machine guidance -type day.

But that ill-described WF seems to be the impetus for screwing up Monday.   The discrete analysis of the pressure pattern over our region on Monday look less like a BD actual passage and more like one that materializes S,  which gives an impression that for all of us NE of mid NJ ... it is more like 'defaulting' the area on the N side.  

There is an upshot to that, it's not a BD with a face smacking cold whip. 

Fronts that come through with jolt chilling wind gusts and a strata ceiling rendering what was once a warm sunny afternoon to a dreary gray, 32 F temperature plummet ... happen when they formulate NE from a cold origin, then mixing in Labrador urine along the way.  And it all takes place within an hr or less.  We've seen this more times than can be counted in memory since being alive. 

The upshot is that a BD already south, places us in an already homogenized air mass, so not quite as harsh as being as being 'back-doored' by a horny Labrador

The problem is that the gradient is really weak at this far eastern end of that warm frontal miasma.  It's one reason why the front is amorphously defined... but, it all means there is limited momentum to actually bring it through.  So it stalls in the area ... The rest is topographical.  High terrain W-N, has a built in counter current at all time pointing back SW, east of said elevations at lower levels - it's a geographically fixed unmovable, always in place, consequence about New England.  I "think" the models are just allowing that vector as the only remaining forcing - and so they are kind of like formulating a BD pattern in position.  it's interesting.

Beyond that the week is less confident.  Yesterday it looked like ( as is usually the case with BD climo - ) any wedging would be blown out  by Tuesday late as a weakening frontal structure cleans out.  It would actually have been warmer ( potentially) after that, with lower thicknesses, being offset with katabatic flow type and high clear blazing sun... etc.  But last night's Euro abruptly obtruded a much strong trough with that...  Meanwhile, the GGEM and the GFS are closing off a cold spring pig shits low between here and NS.  

Either scenario is bad for warm enthusiasts.    7 days out though...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I know it's all mostly said in good fun but it's mostly using backyard obs to justify the overall picture. 

For example, poster A could live in a location where it is 87 and say its hot and and summer is here. Poster B may live in a location (higher elevation, coastal, woods) where it is only 71 and say its cool, where is summer?

So who is correct? They're each correct per their location, but the overall picture, its more than likely a warmer pattern in place but where poster B lives there is local influences going on. 

Most of the stuff is just busting balls anyways. But there’s definitely a board bias to hype up an 18 hour cold shot and then meh a stretch of like +15 days.

• Haha 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Looking forward to water season so much. Been having a lot of dreams of big surf. You are correct when it's 95/75 in the city and I am sitting on the beach with 78/65 with a steady onshore breeze it's a different world just 30 miles away from each other. Let's all enjoy the COC season you love. The longer the COC the better. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Most of the stuff is just busting balls anyways. But there’s definitely a board bias to hype up an 18 hour cold shot and then meh a stretch of like +15 days.

Yeah it’s true.  It seems like folks can’t do both though for whatever reason.  Talk cold and warm.

Thats what I mean by team sport.  Yesterday and last night was a solid/healthy cold shot for late April.  We can say that.

But also I agree that I’ve felt like bringing up months of +4 to +8 and other folks shrug it off like the pools aren’t open so it wasn’t warm.

Just now, Cold Miser said:

...This has pretty much been a pretty decent Napril.  If I recall, last Napril was decent as well.

At keast we haven’t had to deal with 3 inch rain storms. My front lawn reclamation project is going well.Back yard will need yds and yds of loam . Need it dry and cool

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it’s true.  It seems like folks can’t do both though for whatever reason.  Talk cold and warm.

Thats what I mean by team sport.  Yesterday and last night was a solid/healthy cold shot for late April.  We can say that.

But also I agree that I’ve felt like bringing up months of +4 to +8 and other folks shrug it off like the pools aren’t open so it wasn’t warm.

People deep down don’t want to accept it. But at least we all enjoy snow.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There is definitely biases in most directions, but like you said, it's all mostly in good fun. When there is something noteworthy to track or on the horizon everyone knows how to reel it in and get serious...mostly lol.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Looking forward to water season so much. Been having a lot of dreams of big surf. You are correct when it's 95/75 in the city and I am sitting on the beach with 78/65 with a steady onshore breeze it's a different world just 30 miles away from each other. Let's all enjoy the COC season you love. The longer the COC the better. 

One of the beauties of our region. If you want a break from the high heat/humidity during the summer you don't have far to go.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

We all know it's been a furnace in numbers cold season no doubt. The much bigger story was the amount of precip. 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

There is definitely biases in most directions, but like you said, it's all mostly in good fun. When there is something noteworthy to track or on the horizon everyone knows how to reel it in and get serious...mostly lol.

One of the beauties of our region. If you want a break from the high heat/humidity during the summer you don't have far to go.

I will never leave here. 4 seasons and if I want winter it's a 3 hr max drive all winter. If I want to cool off it's 45 minutes or a walk off the back deck. We celebrate all NE weather. It's the best. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

At keast we haven’t had to deal with 3 inch rain storms. My front lawn reclamation project is going well.Back yard will need yds and yds of loam . Need it dry and cool

You talking about that area that was completely washed out in that pic a few weeks back?  That was insane.

8 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

You talking about that area that was completely washed out in that pic a few weeks back?  That was insane.

Yea front and back in Dec when 6 inches of rain caused a mudslide that covered most of the backyard in dirt clay and rocks. The front yard was half covered. It's like concrete to break up. Using a pick ax at times. I will take an after shot in the front yard after the grass comes back. Back yard will have to wait until fall as this old man is beat up lol. 1st pic is front yard 2nd is back.

Screenshot_20240425_111236_Photos.jpg

87899.jpeg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Why can’t we just call a spade a spade on here in the warm season?  lol.

Sometimes it’s cold, sometimes it’s hot.

8 months of this forum is like a team sport that you need to pick sides, and the other 4 months are bitching about winter :lol:.

Warm weather right there! Who looks ridiculous now!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

It's real-we've just gotten used to the warmer background state.   

You could also argue it's gone the other way. People over the top about no more winter, March is gone etc. When the Pacific breaks free from this horrific state it is in, winter will return.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And this really was a mild shot. Outside of the hills if the lowlands can’t get to 32.. is that cold ? Nah 

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

And this really was a mild shot. Outside of the hills if the lowlands can’t get to 32.. is that cold ? Nah 

It was pretty cold in NNE. I'll say 34 with 20+mph winds is good here, but many will be colder tonight with radiational cooling.