Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024 Disco- SNE’s favorite month

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

Haven't looked to see what's driving this April's departure, but you could argue that if you're not awake at night to experience the departure, it'll still feel cool in an AN month. 

It’s also about expectation.

We are supposed to be 54/31 today.

A “warm” April isn’t opening pools up.  We’ve seemed to switch to warm season SOP on the forum where it isn’t warm unless it’s shorts and T-shirt weather.

Beginning of the month say is 45/23 up this way… +7 for a high of 52F is going to be “cool” if one expects summer or it’s going to be warm if one expects snow.

Positive/warm departures still can feel cool I guess is what I’m saying depending on what you are expecting.

• Like 1

Looks like BTV is equal parts warm for max and mins (both 3.5-4F above normal) so not a total nighttime driven month.

It’s just if your monthly mean temp is in the 40s… the difference between 43F and 47F for a mean isn’t really noticeable to most people.  Same with say 46F and 50F, despite a solidly AN month.  Its still “warm” relative to normal but no one notices.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I noticed that last few days. Oak buds swelling too. 

Is it my mistake ( Tam'  ?  )  or isn't it early for even Norways?   Obviously they're the most eager every spring but I think they are also more variable of all big stem species and can be triggered by a season's 'climate personality.'  

My sister was telling me that Norways are actually invasive to N/A.      Either way, their florets give off a subtle sweet aroma that for me sparks a lot of nostalgia for some reason - ... I just can't remember her name :(  or if she ever existed.  LOL.  

Monday through Saturday

*No anomalous or impactful weather is expected in the extended
forecast for southern New England next week.* The week begins
with the region largely dominated by high pressure building in
from the west. This should support a sunny/dry start to the week
with highs in the upper 50s/low 60s and lows in the upper
30s/low 40s. The only active period of weather this week will be
on Wednesday when a modest short-wave disturbance aloft
traverses over the region. Southerly flow ahead of this feature
will increase the moisture over southern New England allowing
for widespread stratiform precipitation during the day
Wednesday. With neither forcing nor moisture forecast to reach
impressive levels, the total rainfall accumulation with this
system is expected to be modest with amounts likely between 0.1
and 0.25 inches. **As the associated surface cold front pushes
through the region behind this system Wednesday night, we`ll be
left with a dry but cooler air mass on Thursday which should
feature temperatures only slightly below normal.** High pressure
then builds over The Northeast to end the week with more dry,
quiet, and seasonable conditions.

:lol:

23 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Is it my mistake ( Tam'  ?  )  or isn't it early for even Norways?   Obviously they're the most eager every spring but I think they are also more variable of all big stem species and can be triggered by a season's 'climate personality.'  

My sister was telling me that Norways are actually invasive to N/A.      Either way, their florets give off a subtle sweet aroma that for me sparks a lot of nostalgia for some reason - ... I just can't remember her name :(  or if she ever existed.  LOL.  

Personally it doesn’t seem too early. Last year I think was even ahead of this year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:
Monday through Saturday

Several things not mentioned there.

1.) Days of cold ,raw, wet onshore flow

2.) Cold, record breaking outbreak with widespread freezes

3.) Below normal pattern 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Stradivarius supposedly used it in his violins. I'm doing a kitchen right now out of Norway maple. Some nice spalting to it. 

IMG_20240420_193824.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:
Monday through Saturday

Where's the torch? Nothing of the sort.

• Like 1

More times than not over the next few weeks we will be above-average, and at some points well above-average (but only a few days at a time). Any periods we get which are closer to average or maybe a bit below are going to be if we're wedged as a frontal system approaches or post-fropa so those periods will be brief.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

People that copy and paste NWS point and clicks and phone app temps?

Where are the '70s and '80s we've been promised for months? Looks like a cool finish to the month according to my AOL app.  Go to Myspace for a complete breakdown. 

Screenshot_20240420_204932_Google.jpg

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

More times than not over the next few weeks we will be above-average, and at some points well above-average (but only a few days at a time). Any periods we get which are closer to average or maybe a bit below are going to be if we're wedged as a frontal system approaches or post-fropa so those periods will be brief.

Who cares about average. We need some heat. Even last year we had '70s and '80s during April. One measly 70 this year.

13 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Good first period. Let's go Bruins!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Nice piece. Looks fairly stable.

Generally, I'm not looking for Norway maple. I got the logs from my buddy for free was just going to use it for shelf banding and drawer boxes but when it got sawed up it revealed this wonderful spalting. Pretty stunning stuff. Better than using it for firewood.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Who cares about average. We need some heat. Even last year we had '70s and '80s during April. One measly 70 this year.

I agree...I don't want average. I want to get right into consistent 70's and even 80's. Luckily, I'm located in a spot in the region where there have been some tremendous days with highs into the 70's...they've been teasers but it's a sign of what we are moving into. I hate though how we really have to wait until mid-to-late May and sometimes even June to get consistently nice weather with very warm temperatures. 

1 minute ago, kdxken said:

Good first period. Let's go Bruins!

Nail bitter towards the end but can't complain thus far.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I agree...I don't want average. I want to get right into consistent 70's and even 80's. Luckily, I'm located in a spot in the region where there have been some tremendous days with highs into the 70's...they've been teasers but it's a sign of what we are moving into. I hate though how we really have to wait until mid-to-late May and sometimes even June to get consistently nice weather with very warm temperatures. 

Nail bitter towards the end but can't complain thus far.

2-0 now. Agree with the nail biter. 19 shots and the Leafs can score in bunches.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Where are the '70s and '80s we've been promised for months? Looks like a cool finish to the month according to my AOL app.  Go to Myspace for a complete breakdown. 

Screenshot_20240420_204932_Google.jpg

Isn’t that a slightly above average mean there?

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Isn’t that a slightly above average mean there?

Probably slightly. Still cool for present day climate. I mean heck, last year we had four days in a row of 70s and '80s and even upper 80s.

16 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Probably slightly. Still cool for present day climate. I mean heck, last year we had four days in a row of 70s and '80s and even upper 80s.

I guess I look at it differently.  Not trying to join the temperature “battle” that seems to go on, but suppose this is inserting myself in the middle, ha.

We just recently in the past few years saw our normals correct higher with the new 30-year-normals… the departures would’ve been even higher less than 5 years ago.  We can’t lose sight of the trend line and call moderately above normal as a reason to say it’s “cool” IMO.  

Something happens this time of year on the forum where if it’s not record warmth, 70s and 80s, it’s not warm.  But in recent months we term it a “warm winter” if temps are above freezing in the means.  Those temps are still “cool.”

Shouldn’t we think of “cool” and “warm” as a function of normal year round?

55 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Something happens this time of year on the forum

I think we know what happens, certain posters start saying it’s not just warmer than normal but so warm that air conditioners need to be installed and beach umbrellas need to be dusted off. The fact of the matter is that the warmth is undeniable but +5 isn’t all that great in April. 53° instead of 48°, especially when it’s still accompanied by clouds and showers still isn’t all that great.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1