• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
April 2024

59 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

There are a lot of positives to global warming. The negatives just outweigh them.

No reason for people that enjoy the warmer temps year round to be demeaned. 

Many people I know hate snow and cold and think 45 with less snow the past few winters is a great thing

The dangers of global warming more or less stretch beyond the actual warming aspects. 

Floods, droughts, fires, water toxicity, disruption to plant/animal species, sea level rises, coastal flooding, destructive storms and yes brutal summer heat and sometimes unusual winter storms are all part of it. 

This hurricane season may really test these factors

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The dangers of global warming more or less stretch beyond the actual warming aspects. 

Floods, droughts, fires, water toxicity, disruption to plant/animal species, sea level rises, coastal flooding, destructive storms and yes brutal summer heat and sometimes unusual winter storms are all part of it. 

One bad hurricane season and Florida will see a mass exodus. Insurance rates are already the highest in the country and increase 30% per year. Not sure how the state can handle another big one, insurance companies will just stop writing policies. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

7 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

That would still kill off our aquatic life here as it is outside their tolerance levels. Our fish are not tropical. Besides don't you like winter? Regardless yes, it will happen, but hopefully not in my lifetime. Once atmospheric CO2 levels reach 750ppm acidification will prevent corals from building reefs and shellfish won't be able to make shells (so dead). 

I love winter, but I hate the ugly weather that happens during these transition seasons especially when we have onshore flow.  My happy medium would be very snowy winters and then an offshore wind during spring and summer to keep the marine layer where it belongs-- out over the ocean lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

One bad hurricane season and Florida will see a mass exodus. Insurance rates are already the highest in the country and increase 30% per year. Not sure how the state can handle another big one, insurance companies will just stop writing policies. 

They'll be moving to more inland cities like Orlando.

3 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

and don't forget really bad air pollution either via forest fires or toxic chemical emissions

7 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Thunderstorms are moving across parts of the region this evening. A few locations could experience strong wind gusts and hail.

In the wake of today's early-season heat, readings will trend closer to normal levels for tomorrow. May should see the first week wind up somewhat warmer than normal.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was 0.0°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.8°C for the week centered around April 24. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.23°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.98°C. The ongoing basinwide El Niño event is fading. Neutral conditions could develop later in the spring.

The SOI was -2.31 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -0.532 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied near 100% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal April (1991-2020 normal). April will likely finish with a mean temperature near 55.8° (2.1° above normal).

it's really interesting, there was no prediction of any rain for today and yet it happened (for some-- there was zero rain here).

7 hours ago, bluewave said:

I can remember the big beach crowds before the season began. It gets really packed once the train crowds arrive from NYC. Gino’s is a goldmine with a line out the door as many people stop there first. It was my favorite pizza on Long Island. Now near New Haven it’s a pizza lovers paradise. Just had Modern pizza from New Haven over the weekend and it’s one of the best pizzas that I ever had. 

Gino's was my first and favorite pizza as a kid on Long Island too.  I think I was 9 years old when I first had it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, psv88 said:

The one way to avoid the higher property insurance and HOAs in Florida is to look into new construction which has better hurricane rated features not immediately at the shore. The average property insurance with a brand new roof and windows which are hurricane rated can be as low as 1500 a year. But properties with a roof older than 15 years can be very hard to insure with either outright rejections or rates over 6k. So if you live in an HOA the monthly fees reflect the master policy for the outside of the condos which has quadruped in some cases in recent years. So the key for buying a property down there is finding out exactly what your rates will be before you buy. 

• Like 4

A very backdoor April with LGA having the coolest averages relative to the means due to the easterly flow off the Long Island Sound. 

EWR….+1.7

NYC…..+2.0

LGA…..+0.1

JFK……+1.6

ISP……+0.7

BDR…..+0.8

F733AFD7-D35B-49FF-B2E1-6BA48ED62B73.gif.a2067a467c532c52db324cbb487ecc65.gif

8B37A862-1659-475A-B8E9-9090771769B3.gif.30a4e469b40c79ee578b76025e33c93d.gif

5C82FBC2-4A78-47AC-A5B4-F1FF5FE069D9.gif.503ed37f605192d4a3eb5c133948f2cc.gif

• Like 4

April was another wet month at my location.  Total precipitation was 6.95".  Total Y.T.D. is 25.88".

Had .30" snowfall which brought my final seasonal total to 22.5".

Hope we can at least have normal precipitation for the growing season.  Don't need any floods nor do we need excessive dryness.

We'll see what the hurricane season brings....certainly there seems to be solid agreement on a very active season.  Numbers and landfall locations of course are two different things so time will tell.  Have to believe if the high numbers being forecast come to fruition there will be at least few U.S. landfalls.  Majors or not???  Of course less than major can cause all sorts of issues.

• Like 1