• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ECLIPSE CHASING!!!!

12 hours ago, gravitylover said:

There aren't too many N/S roads in VT, if the traffic is bad you'll be choosing a spot somewhere without snowbanks (along with everyone else). 

As the forecast homes in on the low cloud zones it's getting real. My plan got blown when my dad died this morning but go straight north and do it overnight so you get to your chosen plowed area by sunrise. The recent and current storm really reduced where you're going to be able to stop your cars and that's going to become the primary limiting factor. 

So sorry for your loss.

• Like 3

Heading up tomorrow to Clifton Park, then next morning to Plattsburgh for eclipse. Not sure exactly where yet but a Walmart Supercenter for initial stop off point. After the eclipse i will head down to Saratoga - i guess normal  two hour journey might be at least double or more. Whatever - Plattsburgh hotel rates were out of control. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bkviking said:

Heading up tomorrow to Clifton Park, then next morning to Plattsburgh for eclipse. Not sure exactly where yet but a Walmart Supercenter for initial stop off point. After the eclipse i will head down to Saratoga - i guess normal  two hour journey might be at least double or more. Whatever - Plattsburgh hotel rates were out of control. 

Pretty much the same plan here.  May wait to leave until Monday evening or Monday night.  Might get hotel MA or CT on way home depending on how things go.  No way was going to pay those hotel rates either.  Suspect will be taking a nap or two in the car before and after the eclipse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rygar said:

alright, Long Lake here I come.  Cayuga Lake is just too cloudy.  Kinda stinks, i put a lot of work into scouting Cayuga and feel like I am winging this a bit now.

I can't leave till kids are off to school tomorrow either, so if traffic is bad I will be in a bit of trouble time-wise

where's Long Lake in reference to Syracuse?

2 hours ago, MANDA said:

Pretty much the same plan here.  May wait to leave until Monday evening or Monday night.  Might get hotel MA or CT on way home depending on how things go.  No way was going to pay those hotel rates either.  Suspect will be taking a nap or two in the car before and after the eclipse.

they're really scalping people on hotel rates aren't they? =\

Staying overnight in Binghamton.  Will plan my next move up there based on hi res model outputs.  The AFDs that I read speak of a cirrus deck and a mid-level deck.  The hi res outputs are showing breaks in this cloud shield.  Hopefully I can identify a suitable area north of Syracuse where one of these breaks happen.  It’s definitely a crap shoot.  What is really interesting is that hotels and other places up there that have been fully booked all week have rooms available for tonight (not cheap).  In any case not feeling the love about driving all the way up to northern VT.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Is anyone worried it's going to be complete gridlock tomorrow. I guess it's not a problem if you're staying somewhere that's in the path

It's a worry for sure

• Like 2

Contemplating taking the ferry and heading all the way up I-91 into the middle of nowhere tomorrow, but if it’s going to be cloudy I may stay put and enjoy my day off here in the 89% coverage zone.

• Like 1

I am in Clifton Park now at a bearable Red Roof Inn for $120. Pay for what you get. But will launch early to Plattsburgh - 130 miles - with 3 locations - two state parks and Walmart - where they are funning shuttles to beaches. Spoke to retired astronomy teacher outside and hes heading to Montpelier and while that is further west you also get less than half the totality of Plattsburgh.
So appears my fate is written  at this time and i will have to risk more clouds. But from Plattsburgh my Monday night hotel is in saratoga  which is lovely Training 

We "flew" up from NJ this morning, leaving at 6 am, with very little traffic, going the 341 miles in 5 hours.  The B&B is very nice and did not gouge us at all.  Had time to drive through Franconia Notch as a side trip and then did a drive up through the Kancamagus Pass in the White Mts - gorgeous with ~2 feet of snow on the ground still at 2000-3000' in elevation, consisting of about 6-8" of soft remaining snow from a few days ago, on top of maybe 12-15" of icy/crusty hard pack (vs. just a few inches at 1000' or so at our B&B, all of which melted during the mild day).    Still debating Newport VT vs. Pittsburg NH, but the latest NBM and 18Z Euro have me nervous, so leaning heavily towards Pittsburg, which is 45 miles east of Newport, giving us some cushion.

Not a bad view from the huge suite at Coppertoppe NH B&B (nice folks who run it and they didn't price gouge at all)...and here's a nice snow pic from Kancamagus...

May be an image of ski slope, mountain, lake and tree

May be an image of 1 person, nature and ski slope

• Like 5