Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I will say it has been impressive that despite +10 departures, it's still been cold enough to snow on the mountains.

13" in 24 hours at 3,000ft we measured on Mount Mansfield.  It had some QPF to it too.  A nice SWE gain to the mountain snowpack.

For reference, 3K feet is a third of the way down the ski terrain in this photo from the top.  Ridgeline is 4K feet, Cliff House top station is 3,600ft.  Measuring location is another 600 vertical feet below that.

Mansfield depth is now above normal, ha.  That's absolutely absurd given the temperature departures IMO.  A solid foot gain with this storm and 36" increase in March so far... from 40" to 76".

This fits into that discussion about northern latitudes being far enough inside climate thresholds that a warmer than normal season projection doesn't mean there can't be wintry results.  

This is going to be more true ( obviously ) up there than down here.  But the actual "threshold" in terms of where-so geographically isn't a hard line on the map, either, particularly when elevation gets into the discussion.  Said threshold is really the inflection point along a probability curve, where it drops off sharper/rarefies more obviously so.   One wonders where that is in 2024 

26 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

It’s like 2012 popped your cherry and you can’t forget it by how much you gush over it. 

Next time you ski near 90 degrees let me know.  Absolute once in a lifetime trip. Oddity is the skiing was superb 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol. I see Dendrites end of month huge positive departures went poof and after a brief warm up its in the shitter again. I had Mid March to Mid April BN. TBD

That’s not what I said. I said the anomalies would balance out this cold shot. It always looked a little tainted at the sfc with some E flow but mins would be torched. 

31 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Bong hits and inhales? 

Models. You always go personal with people but God forbid we diss the Cowboys.  I can go there if thats you and Scooters game What soy frat boys. I know only joking passive aggressively.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That’s not what I said. I said the anomalies would balance out this cold shot. It always looked a little tainted at the sfc with some E flow but mins would be torched. 

Congrats on your snow over the next 4 days.