Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

17 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Looks incredible.  But Why was it only open til 1 pm? 

I don't know, there was some dude on here earlier claiming that they didn't have any snow up north and it was all rocks. Maybe they believed him.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We’ll let them rub their bellies with first half of month positive departure maps. I hope we don’t let this current stuff hang around in April though.

Have we moved on to the time of year where “above normal” is a synonym of “the days better be fukkin’ nice.”

No one wants to hear how warm it’s been if the afternoons aren’t 70F and sunny.  Dreary and mild is like a dirty humid summer pattern where it’s near record above normal but the days are cloudy.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

That’s my point. The highs were +8 to +10 for the first 18 days of March for all, it’s not swayed warm at all bc of the lows, the highs and lows are equally torched this month. Thats highly anomalous .  Yes it will change and come back to earth. But we had a really nice 18 day stretch. 

prism_conus_tmax_anom_MTD.png

prism_conus_tmin_anom_MTD (1).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

That is the beauty of science. Science doesn't care about anyone's feelings or opinions. Science doesn't care if something upsets you, science doesn't care if something bother's you, and science doesn't care about your backyard. 

Science is dry emotions are real.

I will say it has been impressive that despite +10 departures, it's still been cold enough to snow on the mountains.

13" in 24 hours at 3,000ft we measured on Mount Mansfield.  It had some QPF to it too.  A nice SWE gain to the mountain snowpack.

For reference, 3K feet is a third of the way down the ski terrain in this photo from the top.  Ridgeline is 4K feet, Cliff House top station is 3,600ft.  Measuring location is another 600 vertical feet below that.

431443755_10105353719220630_168200074806'

432441257_10105353719150770_321577646519

Mansfield depth is now above normal, ha.  That's absolutely absurd given the temperature departures IMO.  A solid foot gain with this storm and 36" increase in March so far... from 40" to 76".

1280513530_March19MansfieldStake.thumb.jpg.7d148be83d82c1bdd9ffc7f6b7ff213a.jpg

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m just referring to how people generally view the seasons. No one I know has ever recalled a summer that was below normal because heat is heat generally speaking. Whether it is 85 or 95, people are out doing summer things and will recall the summer based on rain/no rain rather than AN or BN temps. However, winter is completely different. People I know recall winters as “bad” (cold and snowy) or “not bad” (warm and minimal snow). Winter temps stick out much more than summer temps because a 10F difference in the summer is barely noticeable compared to a 10F difference in winter which may coincide with precip type.

Both of my closest neighbors we share a private road know the past two winters are warm and snowless which is obvious because we all chip in for plowing. We’ve barely needed the service. But if you ask them how have the past two summers been, they’ll shrug and say hot. 

Oh having worked as a lifeguard and a water ho I remember a ton of cool wet summers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I will say it has been impressive that despite +10 departures, it's still been cold enough to snow on the mountains.

13" in 24 hours at 3,000ft we measured on Mount Mansfield.  It had some QPF to it too.  A nice SWE gain to the mountain snowpack.

For reference, 3K feet is a third of the way down the ski terrain in this photo from the top.  Ridgeline is 4K feet, Cliff House top station is 3,600ft.  Measuring location is another 600 vertical feet below that.

431443755_10105353719220630_168200074806'

432441257_10105353719150770_321577646519

Mansfield depth is now above normal, ha.  A solid foot gain with this storm and 36" increase in March so far... from 40" to 76".

1280513530_March19MansfieldStake.thumb.jpg.7d148be83d82c1bdd9ffc7f6b7ff213a.jpg

Another 2 feet by Monday

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Oh having worked as a lifeguard and a water ho I remember a ton of cool wet summers.

Me too.  And as I said in a previous post, there’s a very large difference when you work out side during the summer, between 85 and 95 degrees.  

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yes.  I think we may be setting up for a bad spring flood season so let's hope when we warm up we dry up too.

We winter every year, This year looks like its coming late, Been extremely wet already.

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

A month to late.

If the north could have kept their base intact…this would be fine.  The County got hit hard last mid and late March last year, and I was up riding on 3/30, 3/31 and 4/1…and it was superb. But being it’s all gone already, and clubs are shut down for the year, ya it’s too late this time. 

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

If the north could have kept their base intact…this would be fine.  The County got hit hard last mid and late March last year, and I was up riding on 3/30, 3/31 and 4/1…and it was superb. But being it’s all gone already, and clubs are shut down for the year, ya it’s too late this time. 

The biggest thing is that ground isn’t frozen to any real extent and all the water crossings are open. Most people think of bridges and culverts but trails cross a lot of wet ground and places that don’t lend themselves to bridges and culverts. There is a surprising amount of water in NNE even in normal years. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yeah, There's not much up there, Still quite a bit in NW Maine though.

ssm_depth.2024031900.0.800.450._13195.6510._12386.7950.dem.shading.ilm.m.1.0.0.0.0.0.png

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

The biggest thing is that ground isn’t frozen to any real extent and all the water crossings are open. Most people think of bridges and culverts but trails cross a lot of wet ground and places that don’t lend themselves to bridges and culverts. There is a surprising amount of water in NNE even in normal years. 

Been a really rough season in many ways.