Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024

TriPol

16 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I'm wondering if we can get NW flow at least a few days each week we'll be okay.  If this same thing happens during the summer, this is when we'll make a run at 100 degrees.

During the 50s, what caused all those 100 degree days and such long heatwaves? I think there was a year in there (was it 1953 or 1954), when NYC hit 100+ degrees 4 or maybe even 5 times? We had many more major TC coming up the east coast back then too as well as big severe outbreaks like the one which caused the F5 Worcester Tornado.)

Really the period between 1944 and 1960 was pretty amazing for long extreme heatwaves and big east coast tropical cyclones.

Hopefully the models are correct and we can sneak in another 70° day next week after all the rain through the coming weekend. 

041A17BE-DE74-460C-9689-0121682E6E88.thumb.png.5b378bca40f43a3c8722c7cf904a1d50.png

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Hopefully the models are correct and we can sneak in another 70° day next week after all the rain through the coming weekend. 

041A17BE-DE74-460C-9689-0121682E6E88.thumb.png.5b378bca40f43a3c8722c7cf904a1d50.png

A week away? Ugh. This rain is miserable and killing another 60 degree day. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

A week away? Ugh. This rain is miserable and killing another 60 degree day. 

Yeah, we would be in the 70s today like areas to our west if we had sun and SW flow.

C9BFA5F7-EF38-4285-B744-6DF22902F0A6.thumb.png.823812a8a2f66d0d08b049127567e9e6.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

I flew the redeye in this morning from west coast.

You had to see the storms we had to pick around in St Louis! The line between St. Louis and Chicago had tops to 45,000 feet at 4 o’clock in the morning at the beginning of March! It was crazy

It's like everything has moved up 6 weeks in time...

2 hours ago, the_other_guy said:

I flew the redeye in this morning from west coast.

You had to see the storms we had to pick around in St Louis! The line between St. Louis and Chicago had tops to 45,000 feet at 4 o’clock in the morning at the beginning of March! It was crazy

Well that is terrifying for March 4/5. But on the flip side the snow out west  must have looked nice for the first part of the flight.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Plenty of extra Atlantic warmth and moisture to fuel more heavy rains.

Guessing we're going to have another wet humid summer....hard to believe that summer 2022 was so dry-seems like a lifetime ago

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

LOL

I love snow but I also like cool and rainy days .

You do you man. I love the cool temps through March but could probably do without the rains that inevitably make my Parkway commute a disaster. Had a guy doing 45 in the left lane with their hazards on and people zooming around him at 80 - in downpour level rain. Brilliant! Oh and a few accidents of course, likely because of stuff like that. 

I just want climo cool days without the endless deluge, more normal rainfall patterns don’t bother me though. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Guessing we're going to have another wet humid summer....hard to believe that summer 2022 was so dry-seems like a lifetime ago

It will be interesting to see if the Euro is correct about the enhanced tropical activity from the Caribbean into the Gulf.

4 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Brutal 

Hopefully we do not end up with the whole water table rising this month. October 05 the entire block I grew up on had 1-2’ of water in the basement. And in that case there isn’t much you can do about it until the levels drop. It’s not a flash flood more like a prolonged mess. 

• Like 1

We’re probably “due” for some landfalling tropical systems up here. We’ve really only had Isaias (which I remember as pretty wild given what it was at the time) and the remnants of Ida which of course spawned the great NJ EF3 and associated outbreak, along with crazy flooding in the northern metro. Perhaps this year we see more east coast / northeast landfall risk?

Always thought it was pretty wild how we had Irene and Sandy back to back, the former a significant impact and the latter historic. Probably sooner or later we’ll see the next one. I do enjoy a good tropical system (hurricane parties are fun, we evacuate my parents out of Seaside and gather at my sister’s place inland). But I think the risks from a Cat 2 + are probably too great to really be exciting anymore, probably more when I was a kid. It’s been a while since we’ve had a stronger storm up here, you’d think it’s a matter of time with the warmer SST profiles in the Atlantic. Just need a relatively fast mover without too much prior surface churn.

Think my oldest tropical system memory was when I was a little kid at my parent’s place in Seaside while Bob scraped by the immediate coast. Pretty sure that’s the one I remember though ofc it wasn’t a big deal here. 

40 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

We’re probably “due” for some landfalling tropical systems up here. We’ve really only had Isaias (which I remember as pretty wild given what it was at the time) and the remnants of Ida which of course spawned the great NJ EF3 and associated outbreak, along with crazy flooding in the northern metro. Perhaps this year we see more east coast / northeast landfall risk?

Always thought it was pretty wild how we had Irene and Sandy back to back, the former a significant impact and the latter historic. Probably sooner or later we’ll see the next one. I do enjoy a good tropical system (hurricane parties are fun, we evacuate my parents out of Seaside and gather at my sister’s place inland). But I think the risks from a Cat 2 + are probably too great to really be exciting anymore, probably more when I was a kid. It’s been a while since we’ve had a stronger storm up here, you’d think it’s a matter of time with the warmer SST profiles in the Atlantic. Just need a relatively fast mover without too much prior surface churn.

Think my oldest tropical system memory was when I was a little kid at my parent’s place in Seaside while Bob scraped by the immediate coast. Pretty sure that’s the one I remember though ofc it wasn’t a big deal here. 

The place that’s really due is SE FL from PBI to Miami which hasn’t really been hit since 2005 by a major. Up here it seems like the tropical systems come in waves like 2011-12, and 1938-54. We probably are due for another storm like Bob that hit eastern LI and New England hard. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The place that’s really due is SE FL from PBI to Miami which hasn’t really been hit since 2005 by a major. Up here it seems like the tropical systems come in waves like 2011-12, and 1938-54. We probably are due for another storm like Bob that hit eastern LI and New England hard. 

Hard to believe that there hasn’t been a major hurricane landfall north of the Gulf and FL since 1996. Must be related to the stronger ridge east of New England steering many systems to the south. While Sandy’s damage resembled a major, it went in near ACY instead of New England. 

https://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/hurdat/All_U.S._Hurricanes.html

B42D98F7-DADA-4CF2-9D93-24E9BEB1140B.png.b175af43e9d9905600bd04303bc66730.png

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

For sure, I was just thinking with respect to our region. 

I follow hurricane season pretty closely since I was a kid, and I have now elderly parents living on a barrier island so my sister and I help keep them safe. They were tremendously lucky in Sandy though they weren’t able to go back to their home for months.