• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

23 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t get the lag talk. The lag is when we have a beast of of TPV and need to wait for the SPV to impact it. The TPV is already in the process of collapse due to pacific forcing combined with Atlantic wave breaking. The SPV collapse will simply prevent a quick recovery and foster additional -nao cycles. This is also very similar to 2010 when repeated SPV hits acted in conjunction with troposphere forcing to create a long lasting and extensive blocking regime. 

I hear you!  In the meantime, be patient.  Go shopping for Superbowl snacks, clear the yard of sticks to light a fire and roast marshmallows.  It's coming and we track by next weekend!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

A # of composites showing the same thing. Sometimes it would go -250, -250.. -100, 0, -50, -250, -300, -350. But the thing is, there were a lot that went +250, +150, 0, -150, -250, -350... so after like 100 examples, you had a clear time lag that had the highest correlation between 500mb and 10mb (and it was not D+0), the "+time" was about 3x stronger.   There was also not less +time -NAO's if the D+0 nao was negative. 

You’re missing the point.  Yes there may be a lag for it to couple and cause another deep blocking period.  But that’s irrelevant when the nao is already tanking!  We just need it not to quickly bounce back.  Yes maybe the nao has another crazy dive in March because of the SPV collapse in Feb but what’s most important here is that a weaker SPV means the already -nao is unlikely to recover any time soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

Delving into 2010 for a moment. I was in south central PA and don't remember mixing issues for either of the February storms. Did temps flirt with freezing for either one along the metros/95 urban corridors? Any mixed precip? I remember storm #2 was cold. 

We had freezing rain here for awhile with the second storm (happened that night around 8...I remember because I was ungratefully protesting and looking at my computer, lol...I could slap 19 year-old me for that!)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You’re missing the point.  Yes there may be a lag for it to couple and cause another deep blocking period.  But that’s irrelevant when the nao is already tanking!  We just need it not to quickly bounce back.  Yes maybe the nao has another crazy dive in March because of the SPV collapse in Feb but what’s most important here is that a weaker SPV means the already -nao is unlikely to recover any time soon. 

I guess the point is that the -NAO may be more likely to sustain giving the 10mb warming expected to occur ~ Feb 15-16..  I'm just saying based on how it hasn't held for like 14 years it may be a little harder than it seems.. 

14 minutes ago, AtlanticWx said:

i also rlly like feb 23-25 when that mega aleutian low ejects a fat trough

Yeah that's the window the extended products have been hinting at. That timing makes sense given how the HL pattern is forecast to evolve. Hopefully we have a couple to track before that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

Delving into 2010 for a moment. I was in south central PA and don't remember mixing issues for either of the February storms. Did temps flirt with freezing for either one along the metros/95 urban corridors? Any mixed precip? I remember storm #2 was cold. 

In SE PA it was cold, very cold. However there was sleet that cut accumulation down. Classic SWFE storm

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah that's the window the extended products have been hinting at. That timing makes sense given how the HL pattern is forecast to evolve. Hopefully we have a couple to track before that.

If a storm does hit around Feb 22-23 it will be the longest lead tracking event ever. It’s been on the radar since it was like 4 weeks out on extended guidance. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, CAPE said:

MSLP anomaly plots show a signal feb 19-20 per 12z gefs. GOM low forming. Geps also shows this, but more muted

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

We had freezing rain here for awhile with the second storm (happened that night around 8...I remember because I was ungratefully protesting and looking at my computer, lol...I could slap 19 year-old me for that!)

I was in a hotel in downtown D.C. Feb. 9-11, 2010, and jotted this note in my calendar at the time: "Stopped snowing and started sleeting 10 p.m. Tuesday. Woke up to blowing, heavy snow 7:30 a.m. Wednesday. It didn't really let up till 3:30. 13 or 14 inches, brutally cold and high winds."  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

MSLP anomaly plots show a signal feb 19-20 per 12z gefs. GOM low forming. Geps also shows this, but more muted

Yeah I posted the panel for that on the previous page. The signal has been there on the GEFS for several runs, not so much on the EPS. Euro/EPS goes dry after the mid month window.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Euro/EPS goes dry after the mid month window.

Either it means the eps is right and we stay dry, or it just hasn’t picked up on the signal that gefs/geps already has. 

I’m thinking the latter is more likely. 

31 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah I posted the panel for that on the previous page. The signal has been there on the GEFS for several runs, not so much on the EPS. Euro/EPS goes dry after the mid month window.

Rats

28 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Either it means the eps is right and we stay dry, or it just hasn’t picked up on the signal that gefs/geps already has. 

Yay

21 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

A trough in the east... you would think with the Atlantic blocking hooking up with -EPO at 384hr of GEFS you would have more severe cold.. I guess the Euro is the slightly warmer model right now. 

Shoot

37 minutes ago, CAPE said:

33 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

EPS weeklies are dry with the progression with that H5 look Brooklynn posted??

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

EPS weeklies are dry with the progression with that H5 look Brooklynn posted??

The only way we stay dry is suppression, and suppression will only happen if the waves passing by are weak/sheared, or if we have a record breaking block over central/south Canada as is the case for feb 5-6. I don’t buy it with the eps look brooklyn posted

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

even if 1899 happened or 1888…winter is still a C-.  One frickin week of winter so far.  C+ if they both happen.  

Just chill and wait for March 10!   You may be thrilled!!!!!!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic