• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Precip map is lit up. Especially for D15. Rest up now, gonna be busy soon. 

I am all stocked up. I am stoked up, too. This is gonna be really fun! We are going to track this pattern completely to death and the Mid Atlantic is going to get shellacked but good by torrential snows!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Finally seeing hints of a shortwave embedded in the STJ flow moving eastward with surface low pressure developing in the deep south at the end of HH GEFS. Potentially setting us up for PD or a bit beyond.

1708279200-y5AT5IIlJbc.png1708279200-0SOUdJz1l5M.png

Hints at hour 384. This thread has changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

We still beat last year

Yeah, like I said I’d be disappointed but happy about that mid-Jan wintry week. Both my phone and laptop has 100s of photos and reels to carry me through next winter, which at the moment I consider cancelled. 

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

My nephew just called me and said.. you gotta see the extended euro.  I said it’s a fake storm.. then he said..  “if stormchaserchuck is excited then I am excited”

I am excited. We are really in a warm era though. Things need to happen just right. We do have the perfect look at day 15, but let me go over what is normally a +PNA pattern (the main feature right now for that time) 

Temps: https://ibb.co/68v50zF
Precip: https://ibb.co/T8789w8

Sea-level pressure: https://ibb.co/W5SyPpN

SLP between here and the coast of -0.3-0.4 is the big deal, and why you get SECS'/MECS' in +PNA patterns.. they bomb over the immediate coastal water. But precip is generally lower, unless you get a big piece in the STJ from, say, El Nino (which is why I'm excited about this particular +pna pattern). The 2std low in texas on Feb 18th is a really good indicator of that for this time, and eventually transferring off the coast with a GOA low and 50/50 low in place... almost perfect generally speaking.  Let's just hope this look holds... I don't care so much that the 384hr gfs is not logistically showing a snowstorm right now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

I wonder if a thread that was limited to 5 days and inside could be successful?

We have threads for specific threats once they are inside 5 days or so. But that’s a different kind of thread. We know what the general pattern is going to be by 5 days. Discussion inside 120 hours focuses on a specific event and the details of that threat not so much pattern generalities. The problem with a permanent day 1-5 thread is they 90% of the time there is no specific threat inside 5 days and so the thread would be dead. 

like right now. If there was an inside 5 days only thread what would we even be discussing in it today since there is nothing of interest inside 5 days away. 

31 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

We have threads for specific threats once they are inside 5 days or so. But that’s a different kind of thread. We know want the general pattern is going to be by 5 days. Discussion inside 120 hours focuses on a specific event and the details of that threat not so much patter generalities. The problem with a permanent day 1-5 thread is they 90% is the time there is no specific threat inside 5 days and so the thread would be dead most of the time. 

And the long range models will keep getting more and more accurate, and going out further and further in time! It's the point in the technological revolution we are in. I'm kind of disappointed because manual methods like analog research are no longer as valuable. The GEFS and EPS are still not performing all that great, though. 

Just now, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

And the long range models will keep getting more and more accurate, and going out further and further in time! I'm kind of disappointed because manual methods like analog research are no longer as valuable. The GEFS and EPS are still not performing all that great, though. 

EPS has been nailing the long range a lot this winter. 

3 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

What about January though where it had several runs going back to September of us being -1 to -4? 

Monthly temp anomalies are overrated. They can we skewed by a week. The eps nailed the long wave pattern closely. The warm periods were just warmer and skewed the temps. This happens a lot. Mild periods are so warm lately it’s hard to get a cold month. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Monthly temp anomalies are overrated. They can we skewed by a week. The eps nailed the long wave pattern closely. The warm periods were just warmer and skewed the temps. This happens a lot. Mild periods are so warm lately it’s hard to get a cold month. 

Case in point, take away that 80 degree day would lower our Jan average by at least a full degree. We’d have been closer to average

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Case in point, take away that 80 degree day would lower our Jan average by at least a full degree. We’d have been closer to average

It does feel like it's been a colder Winter. A lot of low cumulus, and days in the 30s and 40s. These clouds are really pretty for the last 2 years, and I think we are bringing in a better overall period for snow/cold (although maybe several years, even a decade?, out). It's not the same composition as 2005-2017, where things were melting fast, and not refreezing, a lot of sunny bright days

• Like 3

Leading up to a triple phaser, or a blizzard, you generally want the N. Hemisphere to be colder anomaly. It's pretty simple, but almost all the major storms have it, days to weeks before, the Hemisphere temps dropped, or were colder than normal overall. Here's before March '93.. this is in the midst of '48-20 averages (93 is 65% of the way through).. colder hemisphere

https://ibb.co/w6wRMH9

12 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I mean...I've been pre-gaming a little and about to head out...i'm just seeing what I want to see...and it'd be a cutter anyway.  But it's vastly different than 18z h5.  meh

You just go out and enjoy yourself. If you need me I’ll be upstairs asleep.. 

• Haha 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic