• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024 mid/ long range

30 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Some of the great winter patterns of E TN are mid-Feb to mid-March.  Got to know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run.   I am somewhere between hold'em and run!  LOL.  Anyway, storm track looks like a classic Nino end game.  No idea if it verifies, but it could certainly be worse.

Screen_Shot_2024-01-29_at_8.24.20_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2024-01-29_at_8.24.39_PM.png

You are exactly right. This looks like classic NINO in February.  Great post. 

Thanks for the feedback . I’m actually located in western nc in Graham county (right on the TN line) but the past few gfs runs have had me under a warm nose I guess? I enjoy reading this Tenn valley forum.

What’s your elevation?

Some of the great winter patterns of E TN are mid-Feb to mid-March.  Got to know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run.   I am somewhere between hold'em and run!  LOL.  Anyway, storm track looks like a classic Nino end game.  No idea if it verifies, but it could certainly be worse.
Screen_Shot_2024-01-29_at_8.24.20_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2024-01-29_at_8.24.39_PM.png

This is probably captain obvious but I’ll be shocked if that doesn’t verify at or above 2k feet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Ouch, ugly.

7 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 1050 high at the end of the 18z GFS shows us the possibility of the upcoming pattern.  I would be very surprised to see any cold get buried in the West after the 15th.  

Yea, looks like a good pattern after the middle of the month, seems like someone has been saying something about the middle of the month 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

The end of that GFS run looked ideal. 

I was about to say, finally some real cold looked to filter down at the end of that run. When it's raining in Minnesota, it's hard to get snow here. lol 

I know it's the GFS at 384, but it lines up with what some of y'all of been saying about mid February onward and opportunities. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 12z GEPS puts the Lower 48 in the freezer.  The GEFS isn't far behind.  Ensembles are cooling off.

The 2m temps still looked warm, especially the gefs. Hopefully that changes. John homenuk still seems interested lol

• Like 1

The 2m temps still looked warm, especially the gefs. Hopefully that changes. John homenuk still seems interested lol

A lot of the Twitter Mets that matter believe this is coming. Let’s not forget that the mods didn’t get on board with the last cold until about 3 weeks out

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Itryatgolf70 said:

The 2m temps on the GEPS were not warm at all - the opposite.  I look at the GEFS for trends.  It is cooling off.  The GFS at 18z has the cold front again.  Over time, ensembles will begin to add or subtract colder individuals.  So, watching trends means the model is doing exactly that.  I have heard a rule that if the GEPS is cold and getting colder...pay attention.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Big high again on the long range 18z GFS. If it starts spitting those out consistently, some good cold is probably coming. 

Yeah, good sign to see that.  Maybe the only "fly in the ointment" is the Euro Weeklies have been trending slightly warmer with each run, but still cold.  That said, they did the exact same thing around Christmas.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Yeah, good sign to see that.  Maybe the only "fly in the ointment" is the Euro Weeklies have been trending slightly warmer with each run, but still cold.  That said, they did the exact same thing around Christmas.

Carver, don't want no mo kicking can stuff lol. Imo, if mjo moves quickly or refires, ensembles will adjust very fast!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

I’ve also been wondering about that fly in the ointment the last few days despite a still good looking pattern at H5. Also, the CFS ensemble means have been trending warmer for March while trending colder for Feb. We’ll see!

• Like 1

Here we have it again at 6z:

6tCQVzz.png

Plenty of shortwaves upstream NW/ W/ and SW:

EksWn4N.png

Not identical, but similar to 12z and 18z yesterday:

iiK1IhW.png

dg2gjDo.png

But notably not 0z overnight.

I mean don't know, what are the odds that a randomized model spits out a similar solution at 384 hours, especially after having a run that doesn't look quite the same and one run that looks totally different. 

I know, I know.

But let's see over the coming days if there is something about the upcoming pattern that favors such an outcome. Wouldn't be surprised to see it pushed back by a few days, or if the trough ends up further west, but what I am looking for is consistency at this range. 

Just so I don't seem too weenyish, the Euro control looks different:

qWBMd1S.png

• Like 5

If the MJO basically hangs around 7 it could favor, as You mentioned, a further west mean Trough. However, with blocking that should extend that trough, at least at times, east . If we can get that -EPO and PNA Ridge the Trough would probably setup Rockies to Apps . Similar to last Arctic Outbreak area . With all that said, if you take into account El Nino Ph 7 then you get a further East Trough. So, interesting period upcoming. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

-21 on the SOI today. Finally managed to clear that pesky convection from just over Darwin.

q5Sz3Pr.png

But notice there is still some convective activity in N Australia and over the Maritime Continent. Convection over 4/5/6/7/8 = 

nhJ2qzL.png

Yeah and the WWB by the Mean takes it back into the WP for a brief time,starting to have my doubts it gets cold around the mid month,not real cold anyways

ECMWF-Charts (21).png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

Yeah and the WWB by the Mean takes it back into the WP for a brief time,starting to have my doubts it gets cold around the mid month,not real cold anyways

ECMWF-Charts (21).png

Definitely a fly in the ointment. If it just doesn't go back to 6 I think we'll be alright with the Nino and blocking present. 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic