• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Threat Thread: The Return of Hope??

stormtracker

6 minutes ago, high risk said:

The main focus is on us getting NAM'ed, but I'll just make a quick point that this isn't really true.    The SREF is a mix of 13 ARW and 13 NMMB runs using a mix of RAP, NAM, and GFS initial conditions (and multiple physics).     Yes, half of the members have the same model core as the NAM, and roughly 1/3 use NAM initial conditions, but it's not a NAM ensemble.

Is the 21z SREF run off the 18z models?  

1 minute ago, Deck Pic said:

if the precip from the coastal came northwest like 75 miles and we had a 2-part event....that would be sick....lets do it

OCf8Wj7.png

I believe this is what the 18z NAM showed and the reason it dropped 4-8" across DC/BWI metro

• Like 3

Just now, Terpeast said:

18z and 00z nam seemed to be in good agreement up until hour 60 with the first wave, then diverges apart with the second one. Either way, I’ll take what the first wave dropped verbatim. Anything after is a bonus

Id take 3-4” of fluff and solid cold to follow all day long. It’ll be a very wintry 24 hours out there. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, high risk said:

The main focus is on us getting NAM'ed, but I'll just make a quick point that this isn't really true.    The SREF is a mix of 13 ARW and 13 NMMB runs using a mix of RAP, NAM, and GFS initial conditions (and multiple physics).     Yes, half of the members have the same model core as the NAM, and roughly 1/3 use NAM initial conditions, but it's not a NAM ensemble.

Ahh gotcha. Knew there was crossover. Thought I read somewhere NAM ensemble was the Sref but I must have misread it. 

1 minute ago, high risk said:

YES

Thanks. So essentially the sref is the last guidance of the previous cycle. Some think it’s a preview of the next cycle lol. Frankly with so many high res models now, NAM12, nam3, rgem, hrdrps, fv3, ARW1, ARW2, HRRR, Im not sure how much the SREF is going to tell us we didn’t already know. Especially given their outdated since I don’t think they’ve been updated in a long time. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Thanks. So essentially the sref is the last guidance of the previous cycle. Some think it’s a preview of the next cycle lol. Frankly with so many high res models now, NAM12, nam3, rgem, hrdrps, fv3, ARW1, ARW2, HRRR, Im not sure how much the SREF is going to tell us we didn’t already know. Especially given their outdated since I don’t think they’ve been updated in a long time. 

I always thought it was a preview of the next cycle so that’s good to know. Always seemed like a good run of SREF lead to the next run if NAM being good.

We all should have been smart enough to know that arctic front passages of the kind we’re about to experience (without any sort of clipper wave associated) don’t make it across the mountains in any real way. Talking about tomorrow’s fake snow squall.

giphy.gif

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

We all should have been smart enough to know that arctic front passages of the kind we’re about to experience (without any sort of clipper wave associated) don’t make it across the mountains in any real way. Talking about tomorrow’s fake snow squall.

ok thx

Anyway, ICON is fine:

image.thumb.png.3d58cb9a2dc26b564c8b925c5f19b924.png

• Like 9

2 hours ago, BristowWx said:

An hour doesn’t sound that bad actually.  Seems common around the greater region.  Thought about Winchester at one point. Hour and 15 without traffic.  Still thinking that over a bit.  Doesn’t snow there either anymore it seems.  

Stay where you are.  Trust me.

31 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That's the key point.    It's badly out of date and wasn't a great system when it was "in date".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

Not much better out your way than around here? (Close to IAD)

It didn’t snow anywhere in 2020 or 2023. And 2022 were mostly SWFE which aren’t great for the Shenandoah valley. But they can do way better in some years.  But I don’t think it’s as reliable as it was 20 years ago.