• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

GFS is caving to ECMWF and adopting the idea of a trailing wave... this allows for a much favorable height configuration downstream, establishing confluence sooner and encouraging a colder, farther south storm that will be able to amplify without warming as quickly

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh120_trend.thumb.gif.e66097ce348b8db985cb94f3fde60dd1.gifgfs-deterministic-namer-z500_dprog-5384800.thumb.png.58486d1028ede86d4d07fe555d16d4c9.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

12z gfs was much faster because it was still in the middle of deciding between which wave to focus on. 18z is much more aligned with icon/euro progression . Trailer wave now gaining traction at this hour, it’s a bit farther E than Euro though so this might be out to sea but I’m happy about the GFS caving to that progression a61d4128cf366e3d1b2453e03265982a.jpg

• Thanks 1

man if that stronger wave diving in behind can round the bend and catch the STJ...with the front having cleared and the TPV out ahead of it locking in the cold...might not do it this run but this is moving towards a setup with way more upside.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Just now, psuhoffman said:

man if that strong wave diving in behind can round the bend and catch the STJ...with the TPV out ahead of it locking in the cold...might not do it this run but this is moving towards a setup with way more upside.  

yup, that confluence is the game changer

• Like 5

man if that stronger wave diving in behind can round the bend and catch the STJ...with the front having cleared and the TPV out ahead of it locking in the cold...might not do it this run but this is moving towards a setup with way more upside.  

it doesn't get there but appreciate seeing 3 smart posters in a row saying they like the trend

• Like 4

Lol at me saying 5 minutes before the run to probably expect an out to sea run or 2. This is absolutely fine. It’s the GFS’ cave run. Get the trailer wave backed up a little farther W in future runs and we good. The GFS doing this just gives more credit towards euro camp. Cya all at 00z

• Like 5

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

still light snow at 150, but doesn't appear to be an organized low so far

it just misses something big, the STJ wave slides off and misses the phase with the NS energy diving in behind...but this was closer to something big than the GFS has ever been with this threat.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

What you all said. Pretty big step toward a 12z euro-like solution, but can’t put it together. Euro has more southern stream energy. GFS doesn’t have that and splits the northern stream energy into pieces.

• Like 7

Just now, stormtracker said:

I actually like where we are rn.  Should be a fun few days

I feel a lot better than I did coming into today.  The flavor of this threat changed in a way I wasn't expecting...and it was a favorable change for a change.  

• Like 6

I actually like where we are rn.  Should be a fun few days

this looks like a very typical GFS type run that JB used to talk about with too much emphasis on the lead wave but it will likely adjust pretty soon. Even with a crap solution...it still gave us 1-3

• Like 2

1-3" area wide. 1 toward the cities..3 for Cape.   So timing has moved toward the Euro.  We're not done yet yall!  See ya at 0z

it just misses something big, the STJ wave slides off and misses the phase with the NS energy diving in behind...but this was closer to something big than the GFS has ever been with this threat.  

Yup...despite it sliding away, I actually like the larger scale changes in some weird fashion and that it's trending toward the Euro-type solution.  And even still, we manage to squeeze some light snow out of it.  I am feeling more confident in the probability for at least more than a dusting from this, and it will also be quite cold.  So definitely a wintry feel.

Just now, Ji said:

this looks like a very typical GFS type run that JB used to talk about with too much emphasis on the lead wave but it will likely adjust pretty soon. Even with a crap solution...it still gave us 1-3

I actually agree with this.  This isnt good.  Chuck is honking about -NAO and a favorable PNA and I'm agreeing with JB.  End times man, end times.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 17

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic