• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 8/9 Super Cutter - Rain, Severe, and Strong Winds

eyewall

Consensus for 925mb winds to be 50-75kts across all of the eastern half of NC. The 6z HRRR leads me to believe that perhaps gusts over about 45 mph will have trouble making it to the surface without convection, which is probably why RAH is a little conservative. The globals are still gungho on 50 mph+ gusts. 

• Like 1

In January of 1977, I believe it was 16th and 17th, we had a very similar set up as this.  Cold on the front end allowed for a little frozen in the higher elevations.  Then heavy rain, high wind warning, and even a tornado watch. 

When I went to bed that evening, the temp at GSP was 66.  Winds howled all night with some stations reporting 80 MPH gusts.  When I got up, we had a dusting of snow blowing around and temps in the 20's.  About  8:30 AM a snow squal came through with absolute whiteout conditions. 

Temp dropped to 19 degrees and stayed there all day.  We had occassional snow flurries in the upstate all day and the winds were gusting to 50 MPH.  Wonder if any of you other boomers like me remember that one?

40 minutes ago, Upstate Tiger said:

In January of 1977, I believe it was 16th and 17th, we had a very similar set up as this.  Cold on the front end allowed for a little frozen in the higher elevations.  Then heavy rain, high wind warning, and even a tornado watch. 

When I went to bed that evening, the temp at GSP was 66.  Winds howled all night with some stations reporting 80 MPH gusts.  When I got up, we had a dusting of snow blowing around and temps in the 20's.  About  8:30 AM a snow squal came through with absolute whiteout conditions. 

Temp dropped to 19 degrees and stayed there all day.  We had occassional snow flurries in the upstate all day and the winds were gusting to 50 MPH.  Wonder if any of you other boomers like me remember that one?

I do recall January '77 being a very snowy month.  I was a freshman at Wake Forest.  I think that was the only time in my four years there that classes were canceled. Maybe twice during the month?

I had a suitemate from Haywood County (Canton, to be precise) whose younger sister did not attend school the entire month of January.  

I'll have to see if I can find NOAA records for that winter.  

This might be the most interesting weather day of January and its not even a snowstorm. 6-8 inches of rain in 12 hours or less along the escarpment (especially Transylvania, Henderson, Polk)could cause big flash flooding issues. 

qpf_acc-imp.us_ma (6).png

• Like 2

We just had another heavy line go thru,  It is a solid wall of water. 

Keep up the great work everyone!  I hope Atlanta can see some snow this year. no snow for us last year. 

Side note/ joined back in 2010, before that eastern, and before that I believe there was a local wx forum called Peachnet wx???, don't really remember anymore

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

53 minutes ago, wx n of atl said:

We just had another heavy line go thru,  It is a solid wall of water. 

Keep up the great work everyone!  I hope Atlanta can see some snow this year. no snow for us last year. 

Side note/ joined back in 2010, before that eastern, and before that I believe there was a local wx forum called Peachnet wx???, don't really remember anymore

I was also at Peachnet. So, were several others that are regulars here and were also at Eastern. I remember lookout, highway#, and NE GA, among others.

Meanwhile, the current storm means business!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GaWx said:

I was also at Peachnet. So, were several others that are regulars here and were also at Eastern. I remember lookout, highway#, and NE GA, among others.

Meanwhile, the current storm means business!

Wow some of those were quite a while ago lol. Still raining - flood warnings out here. Will be interesting to see the total when I get home 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kvegas-wx said:

Catawba Cty tornado crossed I40.  Panovich tweeted 1 dead, 2 critical.  Sad.

I feel like the inability to pick up these type of quick spin-ups is the NexRad Level II radar void in coverage in the Charlotte Metropolitan area counties including Catawba County and the counties areas west of  Winston-Salem right outside of Metropolitan Charlotte near Wilkesboro. This is like the third time a quick spin up has been below the RAH, GSP, & CAE NWS radar scans thus no Tornado Warning issued prior to the storm. 

• Like 1

There is a boatload of supercells coming off the Atlantic into Southeastern NC near Wilmington.  These storms need to be watched very closely over the next few hours because the instability is increasing in that region