• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2024

44 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Good news is the 18z GEFS doesn't agree with the OP. Solid increase of snow amounts in the Piedmont of NC into VA.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Agreed on 18Z GEFS. I count for NC 4 big dogs and 2 moderate dogs. But for ATL, I count only 2 moderates with no biggies.

So, if I were in NC, I’d still be quite interested in the potential. The mean is 1”+ for RDU W. Any talk about NC being out of this is premature imo despite the trends. Nothing shabby about that at all. OTOH, ATL’s mean is only ~0.1”.

I counted about 20% of the members having suppressed low tracks. Most of the ones that have SC snow are from these 20% that are suppressed. One of these gives moderate snow from the S Gulf coast states/W FL Panhandle through S & C GA, and SE half of SC. So, with it still at 20% on this, I’m not yet giving up on the suppression option though that chance has dropped a lot since just yesterday.

• Like 3

PD storm aside, I'm just curious how the long-term projections were so off for February? Models are now in the range for the end of Feb and early March....with no cold air in sight. I remember back in late Jan when @wncsnowand I were concerned about the warmth in early Feb and were told "Mid-Feb the pattern will be rocking"...."Just wait until the post-Valentine's period".... "Cold air will return the last 2 weeks of Feb". 

I agree with others that the high-elevations will undoubtely get snow again but I think we're quickly coming to the point where most of the southeast will have to be banking on the PD storm or expect to get blanked again. 

gfs_T2m_us_65.png

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

In fact the 18z GEFS looks like the 12z EURO FWIW

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Eh, the mean is a near perfect track and still, the probabilities aren't great. The overall setup is still rather poor. Still, we might luck into something 

sn10_024h-prob01.us_ma (6).png

• Haha 1

Wake up! 0Z: CMC and GFS much better than the most recent runs!

Edit: Cold push from Canadian high ahead of the Gulf low much stronger vs the most recent runs. More like earlier runs. That is important to allow the moisture to overrun preexisting cold instead of cold chasing moisture, which usually doesn’t work well. This is clearly not close to being settled yet.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

0Z GFS is the coldest in the SE in 5-6 runs when precip breaks out from the Gulf low, which has slowed back down and is the most suppressed since then. This has snow to portions of the SC/NC coasts. This is clearly not close to being settled yet with such a big shift.

• Like 5

The King says “no, sorry” to the SE snow starved. This was a much different run from prior Euros (TPV even visits Lake Superior with sub 495 dm 500 mb heights) and combined with the others at 0Z means early next week is still way up in the air.

A week out is still a semi-eternity in model-land, especially in an unusually complex pattern of the N stream (fueled by very strong -EPO/strong -AO/moderate -NAO blocking and steered by moderate +PNA) and the ST/Pacific flow (fueled by last of the strong El Niño with recent strong -SOIs) such as we will have later this week. The MJO is progged by the GEFS/EPS to then be in/near weak phase 8, which tends to be conducive to E US cold. The latest EPO forecasts for late week/weekend are the most notable with -3 to -4 being forecasted! Fasten your seatbelts and get plenty of rest just in case.

*Edit: Wake up again as the 6Z GFS is similar to the much improved 0Z GFS! The very strong -EPO (strong ridge near AK/NW Canada is such a wildcard) seems to be a big factor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

The northern stream is starting to dominate the southern energy on modeling. That squashes it even though it's colder. We need a phase for us Western NC folks. 

Luckily the ridge out west is trending stronger. We need it to go a bit taller but we’re close. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

Luckily the ridge out west is trending stronger. We need it to go a bit taller but we’re close. 

If it keeps trending taller it could dig enough for a phase or partial phase. I don't think this works with just northern or southern dominate energy. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

The 540 line is in Scranton

I see the 540 line during hours 192-201 as far S as the NC/VA border. So, even that’s too far N. But sometimes the 546 line can be the snow line and that line stays just offshore 192-204 while that second shortwave and associated surface low is just off FL with its rain not far from the SE coast.

• Like 2