• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2024

8 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Happy New Year ladies and gentlemen. Can't speak for all but 2023 had some good times and more crappy times, here's to a better 2024 on many levels for all! 34/32 under mostly cloudy skies...yet again. 

I’m at 1500’ and it’s snowed the last 3 nights and still coming down at 18f.  Everything is white again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Waiting with some kind of vested interest to see what this weekend’s potential might end up bringing  

I'm with you on that, the 12z GFS flips the bird to folks wanting snow around here. The Canadian looks a bit different than the GFS. One run with lots to go but clearly nothing should be locked up in either direction six days out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I'm with you on that, the 12z GFS flips the bird to folks wanting snow around here. The Canadian looks a bit different than the GFS. One run with lots to go but clearly nothing should be locked up in either direction six days out. 

I think the flooding potential might be more impactful vs.the snowfall. Especially if we get a good amount of QPF from both events.

Happy New Years to all. :thumbsup:

Snow is the least of my worries at this point but I'll be the first one to stay home and let everyone else go bumpin' into each other because they're no good at driving in the snow on nearly bald summer tires. Any moisture, whether from rain or melting snow, has nowhere to go and I really don't feel like dealing with a wet basement for a third time in less than a month. It's the cold, freezing already soggy trees and breaking branches off and more ice slicks across streets (and my driveway) that could be another pain in the ass problem. The Croton River is still really high, all of the overflow dams are jammin' and there are minor logjams all over and I bet that the feeders are also messy and the Housatonic is the same without the logjams (with what I was able to see) so river flooding is definitely a thing. What's the FFG around here right now? It's gotta be under 2".

I dunno, maybe a few sorta dry days with a breeze will dry things out a bit and relieve just enough of that pressure. 

6 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Snow is the least of my worries at this point but I'll be the first one to stay home and let everyone else go bumpin' into each other because they're no good at driving in the snow on nearly bald summer tires. Any moisture, whether from rain or melting snow, has nowhere to go and I really don't feel like dealing with a wet basement for a third time in less than a month. It's the cold, freezing already soggy trees and breaking branches off and more ice slicks across streets (and my driveway) that could be another pain in the ass problem. The Croton River is still really high, all of the overflow dams are jammin' and there are minor logjams all over and I bet that the feeders are also messy and the Housatonic is the same without the logjams (with what I was able to see) so river flooding is definitely a thing. What's the FFG around here right now? It's gotta be under 2".

I dunno, maybe a few sorta dry days with a breeze will dry things out a bit and relieve just enough of that pressure. 

You paint an ugly picture, but you may not be far off. Hopefully things dry out a lot between now and next weekend. 

An added bonus is with the ground surface freezing up it's holding the surface moisture in rather than some of it drying as it evaporates on days like today. The creeks and rivers may go down a bit though as the water in the ground gets locked in. There's still water pumping out of some hillsides here. :eek:  

1 minute ago, ForestHillWx said:

Yikes is the main thread a wreck. Glad to be a part of the NW of 287 crew; even though I’m about 10 miles north of 78 as the crow flys. 

Come on elevation!

I cant help but wonder if these winter weenies paid attention to weather year round that they would understand the models better, like their biases, which one to use when, etc. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ForestHillWx said:

Yikes is the main thread a wreck. Glad to be a part of the NW of 287 crew; even though I’m about 10 miles north of 78 as the crow flys. 

Come on elevation!

I read the storm threads from SNE.  At least those guys talk about the forecast somewhat.  The comment to the effect who cares about north of 287 is just idiotic.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

The second system could really do some flooding damage with a couple inches of rain in a relatively short amount of time. 

Definitely has my attention especially up this way. The flooding/power loss potential I hope doesn’t come to fruition. After the first system comes thru will see what the models show for the 2nd one. Who knows, we could get a good front end thump of snow with #2. That could help with some rain absorption with this weekends snow. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Definitely has my attention especially up this way. The flooding/power loss potential I hope doesn’t come to fruition. After the first system comes thru will see what the models show for the 2nd one. Who knows, we could get a good front end thump of snow with #2. That could help with some rain absorption with this weekends snow. 

I think a frond end thump is a pretty good bet especially along and north of 84. That high and blocking means business and the CAD is pretty strong. The CMC and GFS are recognizing this more than the Euro right now. 

• Like 2

That has been my thought as well. Storm 1 will have a significant impact on the potential for storm 2 at least our area. 

That’s a bear of an hp locked into Quebec; if it actually happens is a different story.

Winds will rip, which has me concerned due to all the dead ash standing near power lines.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ForestHillWx said:

Come on elevation!

I read the main thread less and less other than Walt's write ups and the moderator post. I get a lot more pertinent information for our area reading the New England Forum posts than most NYC metro posts. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I read the main thread less and less other than Walt's write ups and the moderator post. I get a lot more pertinent information for our area reading the New England Forum posts than most NYC metro posts. 

Agreed on Walt's posts and the other solid posters but I just look at the models myself, most a readily available now for free.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Blizzwalker said:

Hoping to fan the flames of enthusiasm for 6 inches NW this Saturday...

Here is snow in NY- Took this of my friend looking at Mt Marcy right before New Years Eve.

Looking at Marcy B (from Algonquin Peak,NY) 12-31-23.jpg

Cloud inversions are always so cool to experience. Hoping to get some winter hikes in either in the ADK or White Mountains this year. 

3 minutes ago, Blizzwalker said:

Would a more Easterly track for 2nd storm on 1/10 give NW areas a chance of mostly snow ?

I think we'll see some snow at the start but that storm has cutter written all over it.  We'll see what happens though.  The 12z GFS got more interesting for this weekend, so we'll see if the other models start getting stronger as well of if it was a fluke GFS run.