Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 General Discussion

Chambana

4 hours ago, madwx said:

full sunshine right now.  happy to sneak this in before the next system starts spreading high clouds in

Helped clean the secondary roads up a good bit ahead of the next round. Me and my FWD sedan will appreciate that as my commute is short but follows a quite hilly, curvy road.

50 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Helped clean the secondary roads up a good bit ahead of the next round. Me and my FWD sedan will appreciate that as my commute is short but follows a quite hilly, curvy road.

The old Tornado Intercept Shitbox and I had quite the time in the slush the other day. Tomorrow will give me a run for my money... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian D said:

2.9" imby with a general 3-6" around the area. Lake band to my N netted 6-9". Still snowing good this morning. Potential for the snow to continue into Sat am. As cold N/NE winds at the surface with E/NE mid levels should create more heavy bands thanks to to the large system to the south. Currently the LP with trough is bringing synoptic snows combined with some lake enhancement, and lake bands are mainly N of me with E mid level flow. Good to see the snow pack build before bitter wx settles in for a short time.

Jan 11 snow.gif

Ended with 3.8" imby. Snow has tapered to scattered snow showers. Tomorrow is the next possibility. Bring it! :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian D said:

Ended with 3.8" imby. Snow has tapered to scattered snow showers. Tomorrow is the next possibility. Bring it! :) 

Reports came in from up the shore around Silver Bay/Finland of up to 15" with snow still falling. Although it was due to taper off up there soon. Probably another 1-2" added to that 15".

• Like 2

Just now, Brian D said:

Reports came in from up the shore around Silver Bay/Finland of up to 15" with snow still falling. Although it was due to taper off up there soon. Probably another 1-2" added to that 15".

Got to love these lake enhanced events!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Already down to 9F, one of our coldest temps of the season. Cold is arriving ahead of guidance. 

Same here, temps running around 9-10. Tomorrow, tho S Shore going to get slammed into Sat. 3-6" my way. NE winds up to 40-45 mph. 

Jan 12 blizzard s shore.gif

Very light snow starting, and a band forming to my E, and moving my way. Come on baby, you can do it! :lol: UPDATE: Band moving SW towards Duluth/Superior. DANG! oh well.

BTW, here are the totals from the clipper/lake band event from Wed-Thurs. Very much needed.

Jan 11 sn totals.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Have a snow depth of ~12", mostly low ratio cement. The upcoming cold snap will have this glacier hanging around for weeks. 

Weather is so fascinating for reasons like this. It’s amazing how different our climates can be 2 hours apart. Congrats!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

^Yeah, that lobe of cold air is well into MT now. Cut Bank had a high temp (!) of -25F today...and that was at midnight.  PM temps never got above -27F, and it could drop to -45F tonight with wind chills near -65F.

Crazy stuff...

How does anyone live there? I would never leave the house! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

How does anyone live there? I would never leave the house! 

They get chinooks quite often, so on average most days aren't as cold as one might think given thier latitude/location.  But when it gets cold, it can be extreme.  This current cold snap is close to all-time record low wind chills...and in Nebraska too.  NWS Omaha:

Moving on to the bitter cold temperatures, a wind chill warning
remains in effect from this evening through midday Tuesday. Wind
chill values are forecast to eventually bottom out in the 40 to
50 below zero range Sunday morning. The current wind chill
warning that we have in effect will be the longest duration wind
chill warning that we`ve ever issued. Actual air temperatures
will not likely get above zero Saturday through Monday for most
of the area. This would rank the second longest stretch of
consecutive days below zero for Omaha, the last most recent
occurrence would be December 1983. The record is 4 days in
February 1936. For context, the absolute lowest wind chills
we`ve ever recorded in our area on -52 in 1983 in Omaha, -53 in
1990 in Norfolk, and -50 in 1983 in Lincoln. So we`re not
forecasting record wind chills, but historically it will be
close. For actual air temperatures, we could set min maximum
temperature records the next three days at Norfolk with the
below zero values, and we could set record low minimums at both
Lincoln and Norfolk Sunday morning with lows 19 to 20 below zero.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 2:10 PM, Brian D said:

Still waiting on datasets to report in for the Dec, but in the meantime, I went ahead and worked up my max/min avg map from various stations across the NC US. Haven't done this in quite a while, but with a near record/record Dec, thought it would be a good visual on how awesome a month it was. BTW, I use a dense rank method instead of standard ranking. Personally think it's a better ranking method for temps.

Dec max avg.gif

Dec min avg.gif

Most datasets in, and Dec running 3rd warmest on my chart. This will tweak a little when the remaining report, but should remain 3rd. You can see the max/min rankings in the above quote that I posted earlier. 5 & 10 yr charts shown respectively.

Midwest Dec anom 5 yr tr.gif

Midwest Dec anom 10 yr tr.gif

I also have top 5 max temps by decade updated to the end of the year for our region using 20 long period stns starting early-mid 1870's. I actually have split it into W & E (10 each), which I will show in the following posts along with the most extreme daily records. 

Eventually I will have the other metrics charted (high min, low max, min & precip). I'm using MRCC data, and do this manually, so it takes time.

Top 5 full sub.gif

# 1 records full sub.gif

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

Just heard one of those frost quakes/cryoseisms a bit ago.

My deck/ramp pops loudly when temps get cold. Makes me jump sometimes. I have wainscoting along my living room, and during really cold winters, the house will move a little, and the wainscoting will adjust, and pop. Frost heaving to the max.