Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

00x CMC fails the Chuck test I think if I remember how it was explained earlier. Think it goes 3/3

The CMC isnt as deep with the western trough and kinda cuts it off which leaves just enough room for the system to amplfy some in the east...but its still close and notice it quickly gets suppressed and slides southeast once to our latitude.  Its still extremely tight spacing.  GFS does the same...the wave starts up then gets washed out.  We could use a little more breathing room there. 

• Like 2

The CMC isnt as deep with the western trough and kinda cuts it off which leaves just enough room for the system to amplfy some in the east...but its still close and notice it quickly gets suppressed and slides southeast once to our latitude.  Its still extremely tight spacing.  GFS does the same...the wave starts up then gets washed out.  We could use a little more breathing room there. 

Well El Niños tend to like our area more than Philly nyc in many cases . All the big Nino Hecs seemed to always bullseye our area perhaps due to blocking
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ji said:

Well El Niños tend to like our area more than Philly nyc in many cases . All the big Nino Hecs seemed to always bullseye our area perhaps due to blocking

yes but in this case I think the wave spacing is a limiting factor also... I would still be a little nervous this gets squashed but its looking like it has more of a chance this run.  The spacing is still tight. 

• Like 2

Thats a Chaotic look there:

Lots of split flows pretty good split there in the Gulf of Mexico along southern branch and another out west near Los Angles heading all the way NNW to Alaska and another flow branches out into southern Arizona down to Mexico City.

Now east of Edmonton and Calgary there is a pretty pronounced flow SSE from Northern and Central Canada pushing SSE down in the Mid-West and moving SSE into the Eastern United states this did not happen almost at all last year as I remember.  So, maybe just maybe we are about to make the turn the cold air up north is well... relatively cold though and most likely will modify quite a bit.   At least it is a bit more interesting to look at. 

Pennsylvania Water Vapor Satellite Weather Map | AccuWeather

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

yes but in this case I think the wave spacing is a limiting factor also... I would still be a little nervous this gets squashed but its looking like it has more of a chance this run.  The spacing is still tight. 

Time to work on it though alas it is only December 30th for this January 7th window at this lead.

I'm more worried about the cold air flow. but I guess this is closer,  problem with the first system is lack of High pressure to the north, or 998mb low in SE Canada. 2nd storm has a Aleutian ridge already building so this starts to pump a SE ridge in the 500mb pattern. In my experience those two factors trend less favorable as we move toward the actual storm getting closer (lack of cold air needed)(rain), but the system could amplify. To trend better, The El Nino may start effecting the pattern in trend? I think it's 90/10 these will be rainstorms in verification. 

• Thanks 1

@brooklynwx99 the gefs ext confirms my point. The look at the end of the gefs was not a temporary transient problem. This is where it leads one week after the gefs ends 

IMG_0643.thumb.png.2eedd7f99cac98b5341513f3431fc5d6.png
and two weeks later

IMG_0644.thumb.png.248b1a54b05c941624426eea0f709f84.png

and it still looks like garbage into Feb. 

IMG_0645.thumb.png.f74f21ef2fe65f4580f6436bf10a8070.png

I am not saying I agree with it. Just saying don’t sugar coat it. That look is god awful, just hope it’s wrong.  Once a central pac ridge  goes ape like that it’s a season wrecker most of the time!  I’m not a sugar coat things kinda person.  If that’s correct we busted and this season is not what we expected.  

The good news is simply it’s still at a range we can hope it’s just wrong. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

6z GFS looking Iconic. The main shortwave is stronger and a bit more 'left alone'. Stronger surface LP along the Gulf coast, colder look leading in.
The euro is faster with the next piece of energy(the cutter lol) and it's really messing up our chances. Hopefully the other models like ggem and gfs are onto something

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Be interesting to see the GEFS members.

Didn't quite work out this run, but this is an improvement wrt cold air feed from the north as the low approaches. The classic surface HP locked in southern Canada with confluence on the west side of that vortex. Need more spacing between our wave and that vortex though, otherwise it damps as it runs into the upper confluence/convergence region.

1704596400-ScBLX1OYU3Y.png

• Like 4

Be interesting to see the GEFS members.
Didn't quite work out this run, but this is an improvement wrt cold air feed from the north. The classic surface HP locked in southern Canada due to confluence on the west side of that vortex. Need more spacing between our wave and that vortex though, otherwise it damps as it runs into the upper confluence/convergence region.
1704596400-ScBLX1OYU3Y.png
The euro shows no such vortex and a storm right on its heel
bfff326f6c2e45105d741d4e15ea085b.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

The euro shows no such vortex and a storm right on its heel
bfff326f6c2e45105d741d4e15ea085b.jpg

Not sure what you are looking at lol. It is the same general idea as the GFS, but it has more of a 50-50 trough with TPV energy feeding into it. It progresses NE a bit as the low approaches so a bit more spacing.

1704607200-OUGsJwqVQ7A.png

• Like 2

6z GEFS has the precip a bit further north, but the signal for frozen is modest and focused more in the western higher terrain. The basic problem(s) as currently modeled imo- the tendency for the wave to weaken/be suppressed due to the close proximity of the previous wave that strengthens into a southward displaced 50-50 feature, while the deepening trough out west forces a developing ridge just to the north/west of the low as it tracks towards the coast. That also tends to shunt it offshore to our south and somewhat limits available cold.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CAPE said:

6z GEFS has the precip a bit further north, but the signal for frozen is modest and focused more in the western higher terrain. The basic problem(s) as currently modeled imo- the tendency for the wave to weaken/be suppressed due to the close proximity of the previous wave that strengthens into a southward displaced 50-50 feature, while the deepening trough out west forces a developing ridge just to the north/west of the low as it tracks towards the coast. That also tends to shunt it offshore to our south and somewhat limits available cold.

Good explanation, thanks

• Like 1