• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

A few buddies refer to me as 'weatherman'. With that said was just on a group call and they asked what to expect. So I said exactly as above, "really a general 1-3" but could be a 3-5" strip where the Norlun band sets up". The responses I got reminded me how much a weather nerd I really am.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

We're talking about tenths of an inch liquid equivalent...good luck sorting that out. 

Exactly. This does not have much moisture with it at all. And if we are counting on ratios to save us, remember it will be near 30, we aren't talking teens. 12:1 imo.

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

A few buddies refer to me as 'weatherman'. With that said was just on a group call and they asked what to expect. So I said exactly as above, "really a general 1-3" but could be a 3-5" strip where the Norlun band sets up". The responses I got reminded me how much a weather nerd I really am.

It's amazing how many folks are weather nerds - I was asked to do a write up on the Norlun Trough yesterday on the FB page - non nerds want to know!!!  I have welcomed almost 300 people since yesterday and the chatter has been nonstop over there! As our friend Ben Franklin  said "some are weatherwise and some are otherwise"

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Exactly. This does not have much moisture with it at all. And if we are counting on ratios to save us, remember it will be near 30, we aren't talking teens. 12:1 imo.

At the surface we will near 30, but upper levels will be plenty cold to produce high ratio snow.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Violentweatherfan said:

At the surface we will near 30, but upper levels will be plenty cold to produce high ratio snow.

Also you will be injecting true arctic air on a NE wind colliding with the Norlun trough squeezing everything out.  The most intense Norluns troughs can produce 1"+ hour rates and have thunder.  I am not saying that will happen here with this Norlun trough I am sure there are all kinds of different orientaitons and set ups and intensities.  This Norlun trough is set up in a west to east or west-southwest to east-northeast orientation hence the models wiggling around with this. 

• Like 1

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 10 PM EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 6
  inches.

* WHERE...Portions of northern Delaware, southern New Jersey and
  southeast Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From 4 AM to 10 PM EST Friday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Temperatures will rapidly drop into the
  teens late Friday night. Any untreated roads will become icy
  and dangerous.
  • Thanks 1

Winter Weather Advisory
for Upper Bucks County

Issued by National Weather Service
Philadelphia, PA
2:48 PM EST Thu, Jan 18, 2024

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 10 PM EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5 inches.

* WHERE...Portions of central, northern and northwest New Jersey and east central, northeast and southeast Pennsylvania.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Temperatures will rapidly drop into the teens late Friday night. Any untreated roads will become icy and dangerous.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

&&

21 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 10 PM EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 6
  inches.

* WHERE...Portions of northern Delaware, southern New Jersey and
  southeast Pennsylvania.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Temperatures will rapidly drop into the
  teens late Friday night. Any untreated roads will become icy
  and dangerous.

When was the last WSW in our area?

Tonight
Snow likely, mainly after 5am. Cloudy, with a low around 24. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Friday
Snow. High near 29. Northeast wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Friday Night
A chance of snow, mainly before 10pm. Cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 12. Wind chill values as low as zero. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Saturday
Areas of blowing snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 22. Wind chill values as low as zero. Blustery, with a northwest wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.
Saturday Night
Areas of blowing snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 20 mph.

1 minute ago, anthonyweather said:

I mean, 2-3” will be the norm, if a 4” lollipop makes the phillly crew feel like they got a foot, good for them emoji23.png

Don't forget the MA side they will celebrate the shift south like it's New Years again

• Like 1